PDA

View Full Version : problem with the grandparents

jojo2324
06-16-2002, 10:16 AM
Something not entirely pregnancy related...and bear with me because it is a long story, so here goes...

My DH's mother died three and half years ago. His father was devastated, as they had been married for nearly thirty years and all he did was dote on her. Shawn and I were there for him as much as possible, doing dinner, renting videos, etc, just so he wouldn't be alone. Cut to seven months later: Dad has a new girlfriend who is twenty years his junior, and only five years older than Shawn. We're happy that he has met someone, although a little too quickly for Shawn's comfort. She is a nice lady, very sweet, very much a homemaker, eager to take care of Dad. She also happens to be the step-daughter of Dad's brother, Shawn's uncle, so I guess she and Shawn are step-cousins, and Dad is her step-uncle? I know, a bit bizarre, but not necessarily illegal. We try not to think about it too much as it hurts the brain :) Anyway, they decide that she is going to move in with Dad and they are going to get married. This is seven months after Shawn's mother's passing. We are no longer thrilled. It seems to be very convenient a situation for her: she moves into a house, wants a child, all with a man who is not entirely out of mourning. Despite our protests (including her parents, which includes her step-father/Dad's brother) they go ahead and get hitched. Immediately the house is renovated; it is now nearly double the size it once was. Any trace of Shawn's mother is gone, and he is obviously resentful about the whole situation. They try to have a baby, another thing we voiced our concern about seeing as Dad is nearing 55, and the last thing Shawn wants is another child without a parent. They were unable to conceive, and are now in the process of adopting a baby from China.

Basically, our problem is this: What on earth do we call her? Shawn and I don't feel that she is our child's grandmother, in any sense. Things are definitely better between everyone now, we get along fine, although there are still some issues. The last thing I want is to put another rift in the family now that things have calmed down, but this is something we feel very strongly about. And the other night, Shawn's father mentioned how much she was looking forward to be a grandmother, so we know that it is going to be a point of conflict. I don't think that she would ever say anything to us about it, but Shawn's father would, without a doubt. We just plan on calling her Debbie in front of the baby, but I can just picture Dad calling her grandma and then there being a whole situation. Should we call her Aunt Debbie? Why not throw another family member title into the mix and confuse everyone a little more? :)

It's so funny. When I was growing up, I had four grandparents, all of whom lived halfway around the world. The only person I have any sort of relationsip with is my paternal grandmother. However, my father remarried and my step-mother's mother was in our lives frequently, so she was called granma b. (B was the first letter of her last name, not B as in alpha, beta.) I now have my father, my mother, my mother's second husband, my former stepmother whom I am very close to, her husband, Shawn's father and his second wife. So that's seven grandparents! The new American family, I guess.

Thanks for reading through all this...I know that it is long-winded, and any help would be appreciated. It is really weighing on my mind. Thanks! joanne

egoldber
06-16-2002, 10:55 AM
Wow, that's a sticky one. A good friend of mine had a similar situation with her husband's step-mother. But that was a little easier situation since her husband's mother was still alive (divorce) and they wanted to prevent confusion. They came up with a cute nickname (Bunny) and call her that instead of grandma.

Maybe you can think up some wonderful nickname and say, "Oh Debbie, Shawn and I thought it would be the CUTEST and SWEETEST thing in the world if <insert new baby's name here> called you Bunny!!!! Isn't that great!! We're so excited! We think that would be completely ADORABLE!!!" All said in your most enthusiastic, friendliest voice. Obviously I'm not suggesting you use Bunny, but whatever would work for you. Maybe she already has a cute nickname, perhaps one that your father-in-law calls her? Good luck!

HTH,

22tango
06-16-2002, 05:03 PM
I agree...a nickname could work. I just had the standard complement of 4 grandparents growing up, but one set was known as "Mimi" and "Baba" (names my brother gave them as an infant that stuck) while the other set was grandma and grandpa.

We have a reversed situation now with our first child expected in October and my DH's father is anti-title (he's a quaker) and doesn't want to be called grandpa. But it feels funny in his case to have the baby call him by his first name (especially when my DH's mom wants to be "grandma".) We're hoping the baby may come up with her own nickname or he may change his mind or we may just resurrect the old honorific that my father-in-law used to call HIS father-in-law: "squire".

KathyO
06-16-2002, 09:32 PM
I agree with the others about nicknames. You might also have some luck if you get DH's father on side, as he is the one you really want to have in your child's life.

Rather than phrasing it as a rejection of his new wife, you could explain privately that you want your baby to hear a lot of stories and reminisces about Shawn's mother, to give him/her a sense of his/her roots, and not let her memory die. Since you'll be referring to her as Grandma, you clearly need another term for Debbie, to avoid confusion. Maybe, with luck, he can come up with something palatable, and then Debbie will be surrounded by people who are all in agreement.

Good luck,

KathyO

mspacman
06-17-2002, 10:25 AM
Whatever you do, please do not have the child call her "Aunt" Debbie if she's not really an aunt. I had an "uncle" when I was growing up, but didn't learn till I was a teenager that he was not an uncle or even a blood relative, just a good friend of my grandparents. My parents thought it would be cute for me to call him "uncle", but it was a huge letdown for me to learn he wasn't my uncle and his kids weren't my cousins.