PDA

View Full Version : Help me ladies!!

jojo2324
06-22-2002, 06:01 AM
My EDD is six days away and I've just become an absolute junkie for EBAY!!! I have spent the last two hours bidding on emu stuff. This baby needs to make its arrival NOW or else I'll be spending our savings on sixteen different varieties of emu socks...I never thought it could be so addictive! I would always browse, but never bid, and then yesterday I figured what the hey, I've been sitting around for a month willing this baby out, I might as well...And I won and now there's no hope for me, is there? I have to go check my items!

egoldber
06-22-2002, 07:30 AM
Well, if you wanted a few ebay cautions, here they are:

1) Since your baby hasn't arrived yet, you don't know what size they are likely to be. So don't buy too many clothes...

2) You will get a TON of baby clothes as gifts. People's favorite gift is a cute little baby outfit. Unless you want to return all these in favor of the clothes you buy, hold off until the gifts start arriving!

3) I have a couple friends who buy a ton of baby clothes off ebay, and they say to only buy items marked NWT (new with tags) or NWOT (new without tags). They have been disappointed other times with the quality of what they received.

4) Ebay is sometimes significantly more expensive than retail. An example is stuff from Gymboree. Many times, I have seen people bidding on NWT (or even USED) stuff from Gymboree that I KNOW is currently being sold at a significant discount in the stores. I have seen a onesie go for $25 ($20 original retail, $5.99 current discounted retail price). Gymboree turns over their entire store every couple months, so if I see an outft I like there, I just go back in a few weeks and it is HEAVILY discounted (I usually wait until they are 70% off). So like with anything on ebay, you have to know your merchandise before you bid.

HTH,

suzska
06-22-2002, 01:45 PM
Heh, heh! Why do you think I have my baby?!? Just kidding. But I did bid on and win a crib set (discontinued Boynton pattern that I always liked and knew I couldn't find anywhere, and knew how much the original cost, so I got it for about 1/3 the price slightly used) long before we even started talking about/trying to have kids. Well, a few months anyway. I think my husband realized it was time once I won the crib set. LOL!

Yes, it's addictive. There's that little rush right at the end of an auction! But I'm happy (?) to say I'm a "reformed" eBay-er. Or at least being unemployed means I don't have money to spend on stuff, so I stopped looking once Evan was born. Now I just shop the clearance racks anytime I make it to Wal-Mart, Target, or the mall.

Of course the majority of the stuff I won on eBay is quilt related--quilt blocks or miniature porcelain quilt tiles. I never did get into the clothing part--guess I'd rather shop in person for that. Now I spend my time reading these boards and some local baby ones! ;-)

sntm
06-23-2002, 01:16 PM
i am also an ebay addict, with periods of falling off the wagon. it started with vintage hats (which i've collected since i was a teenager) and then i gave up on that when i got burned paying >$100 for a hat that wasn't NEARLY what it was conveyed to be.

Then it was designer clothing/accessories. Luckily, my budget prohibited me from bidding high on the big-ticket items (like Blahniks, mmmmm) so I rarely won.

Now that I have caught baby-fever, but can't start trying until sept/oct because of work, i voraciously shop ebay for maternity clothes that i won't need for months and months. it started off with the justification that I was finding things for spring on clearance sales (y'know, that I would have to pay full price for in the spring when I needed them), and then I just kept looking and kept seeing things and bidding and winning and now my husband, who thinks I am insane, has forbidden me from going to ebay. Incidentally, I found a nice vintage cocktail shaker, too; one of the few things I can use now. ;)

If it weren't for these boards and occasional visits to the NICU for a baby fix, I don't know what I'd do! Thanks!!!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
shannon
shannon