PDA

View Full Version : Preg question?

jojo2324
06-28-2002, 07:49 AM
Okay, so the big day is here! Finally. I am not getting too excited because I know that firsts tend to go late. However, I am a little concerned because I am feeling rather sick. I had a horrible cold back in April (during a freak heat wave to boot....completely sucked the life out of me) and this is starting to feel the same. I made an appt with the dr, but if I were to go into labor, how would this affect it? Or will they induce me for some reason? I know that I'll have answers in a couple of hours, but I always feel better when the other mommies let me know what is going on. It's more reassuring.

Also, is it possible that my water won't break and I won't lose my plug and still go into labor? I think that the baby has dropped, still not quite sure. Thanks! joanne

egoldber
06-28-2002, 08:31 AM
Most women start labor with their waters intact. In fact, one technique used to accelerate labor is breaking the bag of waters. You may or may not lose you plug and you may or may not notice it. I remember staring anxiously at the toilet (even after my water broke) and not seeing anything.

I hope you aren't coming down with a cold! But I really doubt your doctor would induce labor for a cold, especially if today is just now your due date. I can't imagine that this would affect your labor in any way. To be honest, once labor starts, a cold is the least of your worries. But make sure you get plenty of rest to be prepared for the hard work ahead of you!

Best of luck,

luvbeinmama
06-28-2002, 04:56 PM
I agree, I wouldn't worry about the cold affecting labor. As for the water... mine didn't break on it's own, the doc had to do that while I was in labor. As I remember it was sometime around the time I was supposed to be pushing. (Yes, I ended up having a cs, but I did push for 2 hours first!) And I never noticed the plug coming out.

jojo2324
06-28-2002, 05:58 PM
Well, doctor said everything is fine...the cold won't be a problem if it gets any worse. She did say that I was dilated one cm and 75% effaced, which I guess means the ball is rolling. Another thing I forgot to ask: what about nesting? Does that happen the day before, a month before? Basically I'm just not hitting any of the telltale signs of labor, other than engagement. No plug, no water, no urgent need to scrub the back of the fridge, etc. And when your water breaks, I know that it's usually a trickle or spurt, but do you feel a pop or anything like that? My baby seems to have taken a fancy to pushing one of its appendages in that area (all the time and really really hard!) and I wonder how the bag of water can withstand the pressure, because I barely can :)

egoldber
06-28-2002, 09:43 PM
Congratulations! You are now further than I ever was after having my waters break and 12 hours of Pitocin at full blast! :) Sounds like things are moving along just fine. I'm sure everything is going to go well for you. Hang in there!

I never felt anything when my water broke (except the leaking). And some people nest, some people don't. FYI, I think obsessing about carseats, strollers, and hanging out at this board qualifies as nesting!

HTH,

suzska
06-29-2002, 01:48 AM
I never nested. Or if I got any urge I tried to resist, since everyone advises to save your energy. Or maybe it's just that I don't like to clean to begin with!

I was lying in bed when my water first broke, half asleep, but I seem to remember a little "pop." But then everyone is different, so don't expect it to be like that. And I think that's when I lost my plug, but don't quote me on that.

I was 1cm and nothing when my water broke. I think I may have gotten to 1-2cm before they started the Pitocin. I didn't progress "quickly" at all until the Pitocin. Then that took 4 hours for me until I was at 10cm and ready to push, and then pushing for two hours until Evan arrived.

I know, we're not really helping, are we! LOL!

I can't wait to hear your story! Best of Luck!