PDA

View Full Version : when to switch to prenatal exercise?

sntm
07-09-2002, 10:39 PM
have been trying to get back in shape and was about to buy another aerobics tape for variety when i started thinking how long i would actually be using it.

does anyone know when it is recommended that you switch to specifically prenatal exercise - whether aerobics, yoga, etc.? what are the major differences - less strenuous, less abdominal work???

thanks, as always!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever

Momof3Labs
07-10-2002, 09:56 AM
I go to a prenatal aerobics class and have since about 10w. The exercises are designed to prevent injury while pregnant, since your body does go through a LOT of changes (beyond the obvious changes). Also, you have to pay more attention to your heartrate and keep it below about 140-150. Everything is low impact, and we finish with some arm weights and then some stretching.

I think that you have to start being more careful as soon as you find out you are pregnant, but if you were in good shape to begin with and knew exactly what you could do and couldn't do, you could stay with non-prenatal aerobics for a while (I knew someone who did). But I find it easier to go to a class designed around pregnancy.

Check with the hospitals and fitness centers in your area - if any of them offer prenatal aerobics or yoga, you could just plan to switch to that once you are pregnant. Then you can buy a tape that appeals to you now, and put it away for the 9 months that you are pregnant.

Lori
due 10/12 w/ #1

rebekah
07-10-2002, 01:03 PM
I started prenatal yoga around my fifth month of pregnancy. They definitely were different classes than the regular yoga. This instructor was very specific about each position and how it helps during the pregnancy as well as how it helps the baby. There are also a lot of relaxation techniques that have helped a lot and exercises that have been terrific for my aching back. I highly recommend the prenatal yoga as to the regular classes. Not only is it a time to take care of your body but it's time that you can spend thinking about your baby's body as well. :)

mommymaria
07-11-2002, 01:18 PM
I second the recommendation for prenatal yoga. Not only was it a help physically but it was a great way to start bonding early with the baby. And it was a nice way to meet other moms-to-be.

I stayed in my regular yoga class until I was about 4 months pregnant. My "regular" instructor was a guy, and he arranged for me to talk with the prenatal instructor. She suggested I stay in the regular class for a while and gave me some "do's and don'ts" and started me with some simple positions to further strengthen my back and reduce ankle swelling.

Maria

ellenyko
07-20-2002, 08:59 AM
ellenyko

I was very active before getting pregnant so I talked to my midwife about exercise during pregnancy and she assured me that I could do what I did before pregnancy but she warned me against exercising in extreme heat/humidity. That being said, I found that my body told me what I could do and, in fact, set very clear limits. I jogged (slowly) until about 6 months. I did step and kickboxing classes at my gym throughout, but modified -- no jumping and not a lot of kicking -- the boxing part was fine! I bought a Living Arts prenatal yoga tape at about three months and started doing that at home until the very end -- it was great -- as someone said earlier, it gets you focused on the ways in which your body is changing and on your baby's body. If you're used to being active, I highly recommend a variety to keep fit and to keep your spirits up -- good luck!