PDA

View Full Version : when does a baby move out of a crib?

holland2
07-10-2002, 02:18 PM
I have an 11 months old and just found out I am pregnant with the second one. That means when the baby is born, my first will be about 20 months. Can I move her to a real bed with a side barrier so as to not get another crib? I am assuming the newborn can sleep in the pack-n-play for the first three months.

Thanks.

suzska
07-11-2002, 07:38 AM
I may be in this same situation soon (if things go "according to plan," Evan would be around 25-26 months). I still haven't figured out what to do if we have child #2. I can't decide between a toddler bed and a twin bed, although I don't know if we'd have the space for a twin right now. Part of me would want to wait to find out whether baby #2 was another boy or not, and then look into buying matching beds since they would be sharing a room.

Well, Evan just got up, so I have to go!

Shesha
07-11-2002, 09:43 PM
I am due next week with baby #2 and I switched my son to his "big boy bed" several months ago when he was 25 months old. It is a full size bed and I don't use any side rails (I just tuck pillows under the blankets on each side instead). I also put a gate at his doorway, so he can't wander around at night. This was the best move for us, my son has never slept better. He always woke up when sleeping in his crib and ended up in bed with us. Now if he wakes up at night, I just lay down with him in his bed for a few minutes while he falls back to sleep.

Hope this helps,

Trisha

luvbeinmama
07-11-2002, 11:29 PM
Yes, you can move her to a real bed. One of the other moms in my MOMS Club had to move her son to a bed (I think she had a toddler bed) at about that age (around 19-20 months I think). She had borrowed the crib and had to return it to the owner. The move went just fine. Really, they can sleep anywhere. If you move her to real bed with frame & all, then I would definitely use a side rail & just put the bed in a corner. Also, I would move her a month or so BEFORE the baby takes over her old crib/room(?) so she has time to adjust to her new bed being her place to sleep before the baby takes over her old bed. I'm going to do that in the next couple of months myself.