PDA

View Full Version : Itchy, dry & chapped nipples

rebekah
07-11-2002, 10:46 AM
Does anyone have the above symptoms? I'm really suffering through this right now and am at a loss.

I'm 7 months pregnant and I have my nipples get so itchy sometimes and when I scratch (which I shouldn't but can't help) the dry skin comes off and I get this liquid that comes out (like when you have an infection).

If there any way to relieve this? I've heard that once your milk comes in, you can rub a little of it over your nipples and that should help but my milk will not be coming in for quite a while. Any suggestions?

egoldber
07-11-2002, 11:35 AM
This happened to me when I was pregnant. Sometimes I could barely sleep. And it was really embarrassing at work! Are you using lotion? If not, try that, it may help. Where is the liquid coming from? If it is from the nipple area, it could be colostrum. That would be a little early, but some women do leak colostrum pre baby.

rebekah
07-11-2002, 01:48 PM
Yes. I am using lotion and cortizone cream it helps a bit. The liquid is a clear slightly yellowish liquid from the nipples.

MichelleL
07-11-2002, 03:06 PM
Hi Rebekah,

I just went to my breastfeeding class last night and the instructor mentioned that this may happen to some people during the pregnancy. Don't worry, it just sounds like your colostrum. Maybe you should start wearing breastfeeding pads in your bra at least while at work to avoid anything embarrassing!:o :* The instructor said all cotton pads are the best or you could just get disposables. But, just make sure they don't have a plastic liner on them (not comfortable).

Good Luck! What week are you in? I am 32 weeks yesterday.

Michelle L

daisymommy
07-11-2002, 04:19 PM
Try putting on a dab of some Lansinoh balm. It's in a purple box in the baby bottles/breastfeeding section of most stores (Walmart, Target, Babies-R-Us). You use it for sore, dry, cracked nipples when breastfeeding, but I have red, chapped nipples now as well (no colostrum yet though). The Lansinoh has helped SO MUCH and I can tell a difference when I don't put any on. I apply it after my morning shower, then again before bedtime. It says on the tube: "Lansinoh can be used to condition the nipples prior to breastfeeding by applying twice daily during the last trimester to ease dryness and promote healthy skin." In a breastfeeding book it also says to do this, as well as leaving the flaps of your maternity/nursing bra down (or going braless) for 1 hour each day because air helps keep your breasts from getting irritated, as well as don't wash your breasts with soap (only water) to avoid dryness and cracking. Remember: if you are using lotion, it probably has alcohol in it, which is making things worse!

daisymommy
07-11-2002, 04:20 PM
MichelleL:
Where are you from? I just went to a breastfeeding class last night too! It would be funny if it was the same one! It was at Potomac Hospital in Virginia.

luvbeinmama
07-11-2002, 04:45 PM
I agree. I would try the Lansinoh instead of other lotions, etc. Especially since it is made specifically for dry cracked nipples and really does help. I didn't have the dry, itchy, sore problem, but I did have colostrum in the couple months before my son was born (not much, but I could push some out in the shower). It would dry in the crevices in the tip of my nipple and I would try to rinse it out in warm water. I would say you definitely have colostrum coming out. Check with your OB on your next visit just to make sure you have no infection, but I'm sure s/he'll probably tell you what you're hearing here.

rebekah
07-11-2002, 06:15 PM
Hey Michelle,

I'm going into my 31st week tomorrow. :)

MichelleL
07-12-2002, 06:47 PM
I'm in Huntington Beach, CA. The class was in Newport Beach. Just did my first Lamaze/Childbirth class Thursday night. I'm looking forward to the next. We have a baby care class next Wednesday as well. How about you?:7

Michelle

MichelleL
07-12-2002, 06:49 PM
It sure is an exciting time isn't it?? I am going to follow the advice below and start conditioning my nipples with the Lansinoh. I stopped using soap & lotion on them months ago and have noticed that they are a little dry and scaly.

Good Luck to ya! :)

Michelle

Rachels
07-14-2002, 11:58 AM
I agree. I had colostrum at seven months, looking exactly like what you described. Lansinoh helps the dryness, and so does olive oil (recommended by my lactation consultant).

ellenyko
07-20-2002, 08:52 AM
ellenyko

I would echo the Lansinoh recommendation -- also, try not to get soap on your nipples during your shower -- it may dry you out further plus it might sting. Lansinoh is a real life-saver if you're planning to breast-feed. I had such a hard time with breast-feeding and I used Lansinoh religiously for the first couple of weeks. It helped a lot! Good luck!