PDA

View Full Version : Growing feet?

ct
07-14-2002, 02:25 PM
I was wondering if anyone had a problem with their feet growing post-pregnancy. About a year after my daughter was born my feet suddenly grew a whole size (from a 9 to a 10 - yikes!). I am now pregnant with my second (due 11/8) and have been paranoid about buying any more shoes in case this might happen again. I know several people who have had their feet grow later in life, but never twice. I'm hoping I fit in that category, but thought I'd see if anyone ever had such a problem. I used to think of shoes as an investment, but unfortunately my shoe investment has gone down the toilet along with my stock portfolio :)! Any comments? Thanks!!!

ct

kathsmom
07-14-2002, 04:47 PM
Hi, CT

My feet also grew with my 1st pregnancy. I had a lot of swelling and assumed that my feet would go back to normal after having the baby. NOT SO!! I went from an 8 1/2 narrow to a 9 narrow/medium. My husband thought I was joking so I could go and buy new shoes!!

My feet are swelling now with my 2nd pregnancy. I am hoping that it is just because of the pregnancy and the heat (I live in Atlanta, GA). I really don't want to have to go and buy all new shoes again!

I also considered my shoes an investment, but like your stock portfolio and our 401K, the investment is tanking!!

Congratulations on your new baby!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and baby boy on the way (9/30/02)

egoldber
07-15-2002, 08:57 AM
My feet swelled terribly when I was pregnant. I was down to 2 pair of shoes, a pair of Birkenstocks that used to be huge on me (and were then snug) and pair of Nike sandals. I wore these two pair of shoes almost every day of my last trimester because I couldn't wear anything else and refused to buy new shoes!!

After baby, my feet went down but I am still about a half size larger than I was. I had several pairs of pre-pregnancy shoes that I regretfully had to get rid of. I REALLY hope that my feet don't go up a half size AGAIN with the next baby!!!

sntm
07-15-2002, 11:19 PM
OOOOHHH! Good warning. I was all set to buy cute shoes at end of season sales to accesorize my future maternity clothes. I am a shoe-aholic and spend way too much $$$ on shoes and DH would kill me if I then outgrew them. He definitely would consider it a secret plot to spend more at Scarpa.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever

ct
07-16-2002, 03:05 PM
Well, sorry to hear some of you gals are in the same boat as me. What really confuses me is that my feet were a bit swollen during my first pregnancy but remained generally the same size throughout and until just before my DD turned 1 year old - then suddenly they grew a whole size in a matter of 2 months (width is still the same). Weird! I'm trying to just make due for a while during this pregnancy, but I feel stupid with my feet hanging off the backs of my sandals. I'm going to have to break down and buy a few more pairs eventually (I've only got about 4 pairs in the correct size and have made due with sandals/slides/mules - hard to believe for someone like me with a shoe-buying hobby :)) but I'll probably curse myself and have further growth again!! I purchased some really nice shoes when I was pregnant the first time (and working!) - nice comfortable Danskos, etc. which I was able to give to a friend since they were hardly worn. I guess I need to just break down and get rid of all my old shoes (wishful thinking - I still have them and it's been a year since they've fit, I have an easier time giving up money :)!). Anyway, thanks for your comments and best wishes on your upcoming bundle of joy Toni!!

ct

kathsmom
07-16-2002, 03:57 PM
CT,

Hello, again!! When my feet were swollen with my first pregnancy, I just went to Target and got their imitation "keds" shoes. I wore these everywhere-work, church, social events,etc. After my daughter was born, I just went to a Payless and got some cheap summer shoes to last me until my swelling went down. When the swelling went down, I realized that I had to get a new shoe wardrobe! I almost cried at all the shoes I had to get rid of!

My suggestion is just to get some cheap stuff to last you until you know if you're going to have to go shoe shopping again!

Good luck!

Toni