PDA

View Full Version : other boards?

jojo2324
07-14-2002, 07:42 PM
Just curious what other boards some of you frequent? I am completely smitten with this one and it will always be first in my heart, but it seems that all of the other boards I have visited are very disorganized and hodge-podge. Any suggestions?

egoldber
07-15-2002, 08:52 AM
Babycenter.com has some good boards, but I find the format very frustrating to use.

Some of the ParentPlace boards are also very good (the stroller board, of course, is FABULOUS). BUT some of their boards are dominated by people not very welcoming to newbies. I always lurk on boards there for a couple weeks before I dare open my "mouth", to make sure I know the lay of the land. There are several boards there that I only read and don't dare post on because I'm too timid!

HTH,

suzska
07-15-2002, 05:02 PM
I just visit the "local" boards on the other sites. The Pittsburgh one on BabyCenter and the Pennsylvania one on ParentsPlace. I use to read the March 2001 one on BabyCenter when I was first pg with Evan, but a bunch of us "branched off" and made our own eGroups (now Yahoo Groups). We once had as many as 48 members, but dropped down to around 30 by the time the babies were born. Now we're closer to 20 members. And I also started a PghMoms group on Yahoo. Other than those and this one, I read the Quilting boards over at Joann.com. :-)

sntm
07-15-2002, 11:23 PM
I read several of the parentsplace ones. I've looked at lots of others (babcenter, the various ones on baby magazine websites) but they tend to either be minimally frequented or have difficult formats. I've posted on parentsplace ones and while I am sometimes ignored (meaning no responses to comments/questions), have not received any rude remarks. Some have been very friendly -- look for lots of coffee cup icons ("Welcome")

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever

Melanie
07-16-2002, 11:48 AM
At the risk of sounding terrible dense, can someone please explain to me how these work? I've tried to read them and there are tons of posts everyday, then something that says "repost from archives." I have found them terribly difficult to navigate. Am I just not reading them properly?

Mommy to Jonah

egoldber
07-16-2002, 12:08 PM
No, you're doing it right. On the PP boards they only allocate so much "space" on the "top" board. This means that after about 50-60 top level posts (not counting subordinate responses), the board "archives". This means it gets moved to an archive location and a fresh new board comes up the next day. On the very active boards, they archive nightly or every couple nights. It can be confusing I agree until you get the hang of it.

You can still read all the archived boards, you just have to go to the archives to do it. There is a link to the archived boards at the top of each PP board. What I think is awful on those boards is that there is no search feature. So if you want to read the archive boards, you have to go through them one by one.

If you think PP is bad, try babycenter's boards! There it is only the top 20 or so posts that appear at the top. Older posts just keep moving back. And you can only see about 3 or 4 responses without having to click to another page.

Overall, I really think these boards have the best format. It IS nice though on PP to be able to "see" a whole conversation at a glance without having to click on the discussion link.

HTH,

rachelfran
07-16-2002, 01:11 PM
i frequent the parentsplace stroller board - i just got my mountain buggy! parent soup july 2001 board and the boards at ny urban baby site - which are hysterical since there is always some kind of fight going on! those women are cats!

HOBSON725
07-16-2002, 07:11 PM
I frequent this message board every day:
www.thelaboroflove.com

The members welcome "newbies" all the time and the ladies there are wonderful! IT's great support for ttc, pregnancy,new mommies,working mommies,sahmommies...just about everything!!!!! Check it out!

sntm
07-16-2002, 11:47 PM
sounds intriguing! web address?

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever

22tango
07-17-2002, 09:40 AM
I love http://thebabycorner.com for talking to other mothers and mothers-to-be and mother-hopefuls about trying-to-conceive and everything pregnancy related. For baby "stuff" I always go here and sometimes ParentsPlace -- although I *hate* that you can't search their bboards!!! BabyCorner and BabyBargains are much better organized, IMHO!!!

rachelfran
07-17-2002, 10:20 PM
were you looking for the urban baby site?

http://newyork.urbanbaby.com/community/

there are others in other cities too