PDA

View Full Version : Moms' group in Cincinnati

ellenyko
07-23-2002, 07:58 PM
ellenyko

Hi -- My family and I are new to the Cincinnati area and I am looking for a moms' group to join (my son is almost 6 months old). If anyone out there is from the area or knows of a group, please let me know! Thanks!

egoldber
07-23-2002, 09:20 PM
I found my "main" group through the hospital I delivered it. You may want to call a local hospital with a big labor&delivery unit to see if they do New Mom groups. I was also new to my area at the time and have found it to be a godsend.

Some of the moms in my neighborhood also have a playgroup, but their babies are a lot older than mine, so I don't hang with them much. :) Many larger churches, synagogues and other religious groups also offer playgroups to their members.

You may also want to contact local chapters of national organizations like La Leche League (http://www.lalecheleague.org) and also Mothers and More (http://www.mothersandmore.org/).

If none of these pan out, take a class for moms and babies (Gymboree, signing, baby massage, baby swimming, etc.), anywhere where there are likely to be other moms with babies your baby's age. Invite other moms to go to lunch afterwards and see if anything clicks. Ask them if they are in a playgroup or would like too form one. If nothing clicks, take another class. :) I also belong to a small playgroup formed by a bunch of us that took a "signing with your baby" class together.

HTH,

katzenkowz
07-23-2002, 09:57 PM
I am delivering at Mercy Hospital in Anderson; the Mercy Hospital system has a new mom's tea group and a toddler group listed in their brochure. Call 95-MERCY for info--I would imagine that both Mercy Anderson and Mercy Fairfield have groups, the smaller Mercys (Clermont) might not. As you're new to town, Anderson is on the far east side of Cincy and Fairfield is on the north west side--both easily accessible from I-275. Welcome to the area!

luvbeinmama
07-24-2002, 01:52 AM
Go to www.momsclub.org and email MOMS Club from there. They can tell you if there are any local chapters in your area that you can join. It is mostly a club for SAHM's, but I know we have a few members that work part time or full time or have their own at-home businesses. I joined my local chapter when my son was about 6 mos. and it has been a lifesaver for me. Keeps me busy.

mary b
07-24-2002, 12:29 PM
Hi, Ellen, I just got back from the West Chester MOMS Club meeting. Here is the number for the local area coordinator. She can direct you to the group closest to you: Karen Lightfield, 513 922-5275 or [email protected]. It is amazing the number of activities that you can participate in!

Mary

ellenyko
07-24-2002, 06:57 PM
ellenyko

I can't thank all of you enough for your very helpful suggestions! Thanks for the information -- I hope Will and I will find a group soon! Ellen

ct
07-24-2002, 10:52 PM
Just another option - you can check with your local library. Ours has many programs for children. I take my daughter to my library's Lapsit program which is for kids from birth to 3YO. I've been taking her there since she was about 6MO and she LOVES it (and so do I - it's fun and it's free!). HTH

ct