PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean a baby's neck?

jojo2324
07-29-2002, 01:13 PM
Sorry, but my baby is starting to smell a little rank. I love him dearly and I think I clean his neck enough, but I guess not because he's taken on a certain aroma :) It's all the gunk that gets caught in the folds of his neck...I think I've heard it being affectionately referred to as "neck cheese." How on earth do you get it off? And how do you make their head turn the other way so that you can hit both sides? I don't want to hurt him! Thanks...joanne

Andrews Mom
07-29-2002, 11:31 PM
Hi Joanne,

I agree, it's a tricky thing! Try as I may, I sometimes just can't get rid of the neck cheese, although I'm getting better at it (DS is 4 months). Often I just lay him on his changing table and use one hand to hold his chin up and the other to wipe his neck. He doesn't seem to mind too much. Now that his neck is stronger, sometimes I put him on his tummy and get him to look up, then I sneak in with a washcloth or wipe and clean up in there. It's a little easier because his neck is already stretched out. The other thing that I find sometimes works is to use one of those washcloth puppets. It helps the washcloth stay wrapped around my fingers, making it easier to get into those tight spaces.

HTH. Good luck!

:) Mindy

Rachels
07-30-2002, 10:08 AM
I find it easiest to clean my daughter's neck during a bath. It's hard to get her to turn her head, but if I soap up my fingers really well, it's easier to slip them under her chin and rub off the gunk. Sometimes it also works to bring a wet washcloth to her changing table and to hold a toy such that she has to lean her head back a little to look at it. That exposes her neck, and with enough water, sometimes I can clean her off that way. Hope that helps!

motherwarrick
08-02-2002, 02:56 PM
Leslie 35, Huston DOB-9/99, and Kalena DOB-4/8
Hi, bathtime is a great opportunity to clean my daughter's neck as well. I have found that it is often not enough. Using small baby washcloths wettened with water or a diaper wipe (without scents or alcohol) is effective too. I usually let her head drop back gently as a support her neck and then clean the folds = I have done this since day one and she is quite trusting of this position. It might be more difficult to do as your baby gets older. It is important to clean the gunk off = it can promote the beginnings of a yeast infection (Candida Albicans - I think that's the way to spell it) Sometimes, if the area is a little reddened, I will use a little vaseline or Aquaphor to help protect from excoriation, as the "gunk" can also be caustic to the skin.
Leslie 35, Huston DOB-9/99, and Kalena DOB-4/8