PDA

View Full Version : Rolling over in his sleep

Stow
07-30-2002, 03:39 PM
Okay, so I just finished reading the Weissenbluth book and I have started trying to use his method A to put my son to sleep. I rock him for just a few minutes and then put him down still awake. The problem lies in that he starts crying and the rolls himself over to his stomach and scoots until he's wedged into the side of the crib. He isn't able to roll back from his stomach yet. So I let him cry a while and then go in and roll him over give him his pacifier and leave, usually he goes right to sleep after this. Any suggestions on keeping him from rolling, I'm afraid he'll suffocate with his face wedged into the crib side. He just turned 4 months old and other than this is doing well sleeping, he goes to bed at 9 and sleeps till 6:30 only getting up once for a feeding. Any ideas would be great.

Andrews mom

nina
07-30-2002, 05:20 PM
I had to write because I also have been using method A for a while. In fact, I started at 5 weeks of age, and now my son is 9 weeks old. He never had problems sleeping at night and would never cry --he just fed and slept (strange)...but my problem was napping during the day.
When I put him down for naps, he cries a little (if at ALL), and he certainly does creep all over the crib and sometimes is jammed up against the bumper like your son. I just sort of go back and forth and when he's sleeping, I scoot him down a little.

I think as long as your son can move his head, and lift it, I think it should be fine..... but I do understand your worries as everyone tells us to put babies on their backs.

P.S. I think this method has really worked for us. I just make sure he's down before the 2 hour mark, and half the time he naps without a cry...and the other times, he cries very little. This was after a week or 2 of a lot of crying though. Hang in there...it's done wonders for me.

laura_winckler
07-30-2002, 08:41 PM
I love this book, by the way! My son is nearly two and sleeps through the night beautifully, and has been doing so for a long time. About rolling over, I tried a sleep positioner for a while at this age, but my son just scootched out of it. Pretty useless. I eventually decided that as long as he could lift his head, etc, that he was fine on his belly. If you can flip your baby over and leave without any trouble, that's probably fine as well. Sounds like it's going great!