PDA

View Full Version : When is a baby a toddler?

raynjen
08-19-2002, 11:34 PM
Okay, I know this is a bit stupid, and maybe its supposed to be intuitive, but when does a baby classify as a toddler? Is it an age range thing (like 18 mos. - 3 yrs.), or does it start when they begin to "toddle" about? I was looking at the Field's new book (Toddler Bargains) and trying to decide if it applies to my child (9 mos. but walking well.) What are your opinions?

rachelfran
08-20-2002, 12:41 AM
IMO a toddler is a baby who walks... whatever age it is -

my guess is that the new book would cover items purchased after the first wave of baby items have already been purchased -- i.e. toddler beds, booster car seats, etc... NOT cribs, nursery items, etc.

HTH

suzska
08-20-2002, 01:14 PM
Well, it will eventually apply to your child. ;-) I think most places consider "infants" to be from 0-12 months or 0-18 months. My son Evan just turned 17 months, but I don't think I'd consider him an infant anymore. He has been walking since he turned 1, and now he's into everything that isn't locked up or bolted down! But at the same time some of the things in the Toddler Bargains book may not apply yet, like potty-training. But I plan to order the book now anyway, so that I can be "prepared" for when the time comes that I need to think about potty seats and "big boy" beds. I would think that walking isn't the only "developmental" thing that separates infants from toddlers, but that's just my opinion. Somehow to me "9-months-old" is still an infant, but again that's just me.

brubeck
08-20-2002, 07:20 PM
I don't know if you read the Vicki Iovine books, but I like her definition: a baby is a toddler from the moment it takes that first toddling step until the day before it's fourth birthday.

It's a revolution in movement, mental abilities and emotional crises.

As for the Fields' book, I think their definition is of convenience. The Baby Bargains book covers items for kids up to 2 years old, and Toddler Bargains is supposed to cover items needed after that period.

Just about anyone will agree that a child becomes a toddler long before 2 years old.

tjham
09-06-2002, 11:10 PM
It really bugs me when a newspaper refers to a 6 mo. old as a tot or toddler and then at another time calls a 2 yr. old an infant!

alandenisefields
09-10-2002, 04:34 PM
I hear you---I don't think there is one agreed upon definition of a toddler. We define our TODDLER BARGAINS book for those children age 2 to 5. Is a 5 year old really a toddler? Not really, but we have to come up with a pithy title that covers the products you buy after all the baby stuff. So instead of calling it TODDLER and PRESCHOOLER BARGAINS, we just use TODDLER BARGAINS.

Certainly you could use some of the items we review in TODDLER BARGAINS before age 2 (the booster seats for kitchen; some of the potty training advice/products. etc). But we just had to draw the line somewhere!

You can read more about what's in the new book at www.ToddlerBargains.com

Thanks again folks for reading our books!
Alan & Denise Fields, Authors
BABY BARGAINS * TODDLER BARGAINS