PDA

View Full Version : Sedation and BF?

jojo2324
08-24-2002, 05:13 PM
Hi all...I am due to undergo surgery on Tuesday (Nothing serious, a growth that developed as a result of the pregnancy...as my mom put it, "Gannon's twin" :) and will be going under general anesthesia (sp?). Does anyone know the ramifications of this on breastmilk? The nurse kept asking me if I had any questions, but of course DS was screaming and I was having a mommy moment and said no. I plan on calling them first thing Monday, but just wanted to know before then and thought maybe some of you could help me out! Thanks!

mamahill
08-25-2002, 12:11 AM
I checked the BF book I have, and it didn't say anything about that. I bet your local LLL would have the answer. I think I saw online (www.lalecheleague.org) a form you could fill out to ask a question you didn't see answered on their web site. Of course, this may take longer than asking your doctor, but who knows. I'm curious to know what you find out.

Wishing you the best, though. Let us know how you're doing. Take care!

egoldber
08-25-2002, 08:38 AM
I would definitely call your doctor back and ask. Also, make sure you mention to anyone involved with your procedure that you are a nursing mother. This may influence medications they give you during the procedure as well as after the procedure.

HTH,

jojo2324
08-26-2002, 09:59 AM
Okay, just got off the phone with the anesthesiologist, an Indian man with a deep gutteral accent who spoke very loudly and very close to the receiver. But I think I got the gist...He said it's fine to BF after sedation because the meds are out of your system within 3-4 hours. He pointed out that many mothers who require sedation for a C-section are able to BF their newborns after waking up with no trouble. He just said to feed before the surgery and if I was very concerned, to pump and dump one time before resuming feeding. I figured as much...And I am just kidding when I say I wouldn't mind some of those sedatives slipping through! :P The kid napped for MAYBE two whole hours yesterday. But then he did sleep from 9 until 4, I guess just making up for it. DH is in for a surprise...six hours, just him and the baby and no mommy to come to the rescue! I'll use the surgery as a way to catch up on some sleep :)

mamahill
08-26-2002, 01:06 PM
LOL Joanne! I had been thinking about c-section mommies and figured it would be ok. I would be more nervous about DH and the baby by themselves that long :). And I hear you on the sedatives slipping through. After delivery, the doctor had perscribed tylenol w/codeine to help with the cramps during BF. After a couple days I no longer needed them but I've still got a bunch and every now and then I think... but no. Good luck to you - and definitely catch up on the sleep when you can!

egoldber
08-26-2002, 02:04 PM
I did have a C-section and staying ahead of the pain is very important. And try not to overdo going up and down stairs for awhile. I was sent home with 30 Percocet of which I only took about half. And I too somtimes think, hmm.... LOL