PDA

View Full Version : Baby Joshua is here!

daisymommy
08-25-2002, 09:14 AM
Just wanted to shout the good news to everyone that our son Joshua was born last Friday, August 16th (one day before his due date), at 8:25 p.m., weighing 7lbs.3oz, measuring 18 1/2" in length. It's a wild birth story. At my doctors appointment on Wednesday the 14th my doctor did an exam and found me to be 5cm. dialated, and completely effaced, at 0 station. I had no idea, becasue I had no pain or contractions!!! My doctor (head of a midwives practice) actually sent me home, and said the baby would probably be born that night. I went to Babies-R-Us and the grocery store afterwards to get a few last minute items (my husband still thinks I'm crazy). When I got home I called DH with the good news, and he sped home thinking the baby could be here at any time. That's where we were both wrong.
For the next two days I labored without pain, having major nesting instincts, baking cookies, cooking up pounds of food for the freezer, and storming around the house determined that everything had to be perfect. We went to the hospital on Thursday evening, and since I was now at 6-7cm., I was admitted (I still couldn't feel any contractions at this point, and I was so excited because I really wanted a natural child birth experience.) I stayed stuck at this point in labor till the next morning. I ended up having my water broken, which still didn't speed along my stubborn little one. I was given pitocin which had to be cranked up to almost max. to really getthings going. At 8 cm. I stood up and felt a horrible POP! inside and almost ended up passing out on the floor in pain. The next 10 contactions were the most tortorous thing I have ever felt. The wonderful epidural man came to my rescue (I was against having one before labor began.) Three hours later I was pushing baby out with numb legs, and had to have the epidural turned way down low so I could tell what I was doing--and some of the pain returned:'( When baby Josh finally entered this world, we saw what caused the POP! pain inside and horrible contractions--he had his arm wedged up against the side of his head! It looked like he was raising his hand-"Who's birthday is it today?", "Mine!" I went into shock afterwards and had to be put on oxygen. I was unable to hold my little boy or even look at him. I was devasted. This was not at all the labor I had so carefully planned. However, I must continully remind myself now, that my beautiful baby is here, we are home and doing well (sleep deprived, yes, but doing well) and that is all that matters. Joshua continues to insist on having his hands and arms up around his face at all times--which makes for and interesting breastfeeding experience! Thanks for all the great advice that has taken us through this first week at home as a family. I hope to include pictures as soon as they are developed.

jojo2324
08-25-2002, 09:25 AM
Congratulations on your little one!! Stay in the frame of mind that your beautiful baby boy is with you safe and that is what truly matters...I am sorry that your experience was not what you would have liked, but in the end, it's all about that little bundle. I must admit that after Gannon was born, I was just so exhausted and a little resentful because it had taken so long that I really just wanted to go to sleep and have nothing to do with him. That sounds horrible, I know, but I would rather have a relaxed and pleasant first meeting than me all groggy and annoyed. Now everyone will think I am a terrible mommy...Congrats again and let us see him as soon as you have the time to get photos developed.

rachelfran
08-25-2002, 09:31 AM
congratulations! you're so lucky to be able to post so soon and be home and all that.... i was in the hospital for four nightmare days after I had my son - talk about not what you planned!

I wish you continued good luck with your baby and hugs and kisses too!

laura_winckler
08-25-2002, 01:14 PM
Congratulations!! Remember that the only thing that matters is that Josh is here, and you are both healthy and safe! The rest just makes for a great story at the next baby shower that you attend. ;-)

egoldber
08-25-2002, 01:41 PM
Congratulations! Glad to hear all is well now, and sorry your labor wasn't the experience you had hoped for. Sometimes I wonder who has these beautiful, unmedicated labors that go smoothly and without any hitches, because you so seldom meet anyone who actually had one!

Enjoy your little guy! The time goes so fast!