PDA

View Full Version : Baby names, meanings, etc. (cont'd from stroller thread)

mamahill
08-26-2002, 07:46 PM
I'm posting a response here to the stroller thread that kind of went off-topic :). It was at http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID7/628.html if anyone wants a reference. But I wanted to respond...

I think names and their meanings are fascinating. I love the West Wing - great show (which is another reason I'm surprised when people ask me if we made her name up) - but that was NOT the inspiration. When people hear DD's name I've had a few say, "Oh, a fan of West Wing and Shrek?" hmm, yes and no. It's also interesting how kids can grow into their names or be the very opposite. My brother's name means "gift of peace" - yeah right! On the other hand, mine means "princess," so maybe they were right... ;)

Anyway, I'd love to hear how other people came to their baby's names. There's always a story - share!

starrynight
09-12-2002, 10:14 AM
My sons name is Alexander James, which means "helper/leader of mankind' and "gift of god' I liked the meanings of both names and James is also a family name.
My dd is Daria Rose- Daria has 3 different meanings-I got them from a baby book and a name site "nugget of wisdom' "courgeous person" and "luxerious" We chose her name more because we liked it and it was different than meaning because we found out the meaning after she was born but I am glad now that we did pick it because the meanings are nice. Rose=flower and it is a family name.

jojo2324
09-12-2002, 01:08 PM
DS's name is Clinton Gannon. Clinton is his paternal grandfather, whom everyone calls Butch. (Everyone but me. I call him Clint.) His father was also Clinton, so it's a family name. We like it, but didn't want to call our son Clinton, and pretty much decided that his middle name would be his real name. We both wanted something a little different but not too outlandish; DH was big into Sterling, Peyton, Dempsey, and most of all, Satchel. Ugh. As I kept telling him, that is an accessory, not a name. He's still holding out hope for maybe the next one. Maybe if he allows me to get a Bugaboo :) (Refer to Bugaboo thread under stroller heading.)

I happened along Gannon in a baby name book. It really has no meaning that I can find. It is an Irish surname, which is nice since we both have some Irish in us. Don't most people? :) DH *claims* that he heard it long before I did and just didn't want to suggest it because I was so whole-heartedly against Satchel and he didn't feel like being chewed out again by my pregnant hormones. I guess Rich Gannon is the tailend or quarterback for some football team. I am actually starting to get a little annoyed because whenever some guy hears his name, he says, "Oh, Rich Gannon?" No, not Rich Gannon!

So on his birth certificate it says Clinton Gannon Prime Miller, but we want him to be C. Gannon Miller. (Prime was thrown in for my benefit; I don't know that my brother is the marrying/having kids kind, and he's the last man with the name in our family.) I think that will look nice on his first published book or on a movie screen, don't you :) It's got a nice ring to it.

mama2be
09-12-2002, 05:29 PM
I'm doing the same thing infact all of my children (assuming there will be more than the one in my tummy) will have my maiden name as their middle name. It is clearly a last name, but my brother too I doubt will marry or pass on the name so I feel I owe it my family. Unfortunalty it is not some trendy name it's McJoynt...but I hope to pick first names that will stick.

I wanted Trevor, but a little more popular now, Gavin or Tristan (which is what we have chosen).

For a girl I want Aynsleigh or Bronwyn. I think we will go with Aynsleigh though I like Bronwyn a lot. To me the names are two extremes Aynsleigh seems so fem and Bronwyn seems a little more masculine for a girls name though I love it...

I am Neve (pronounced like "eve" but with an "N" sound in front). Tres Irish...never heard it till Neve Campbell the actress came a long but she pronounces it "Nev"...different pronounciation than mine.

mamahill
09-12-2002, 07:03 PM
lol - satchel? At least he would be the only one in his class ;). We also had Bronwyn on our list for a while, along with Rhiannon, but settled on Ainsleigh b/c my middle name is Leigh (as is my mom's). Fiona for my grandma, and there you have it. It seems like a big name for a little girl, but she has definitely stepped up to the plate.