PDA

View Full Version : what to do on bedrest

cara1
09-05-2002, 11:47 AM
My friend just went into premature labor at 28 weeks. They want her to stay on strict bedrest in the hospital from now on. I've heard of some books that people recommend reading during this long "down" time. Does anyone know what they are?

KimberleyDawn
09-05-2002, 02:18 PM
Are you looking for a specific type of book or any good book (maybe a series)?
Kim

brubeck
09-05-2002, 07:02 PM
How about Baby Bargains and an Internet connection so she can get her shopping done? :-)

Seriously, I knew a woman who was on bedrest from about that time (6 months) and she had bought almost none of her baby stuff. She was expecting twins too! She had her husband go out and buy everything and he basically just bought whatever looked good to him (read cheap and easy to pick up). I lent her my Baby Bargains book after her kids were born and she totally wished that she had been able to read it during her bedrest. She said that she would have had tons of time to comparison shop online for all the stuff that looked good, and could have told her husband specifically which products to look at in the stores.

spu
09-05-2002, 07:44 PM
I went on strict bedrest at 18 weeks and remained flat until 34.5 weeks when I got the bedrest lifted (pg. with twins + incompetent cervix. I had a cerclage put in). I delivered healthy twin girls at 38.5 weeks. So I know what your friend is going through.

Two things helped me the most: being online (and these message boards!) and Sidelines - a non-profit community that helps pregnant woman in high-risk situations. They set me up with a 'bedrest buddy' - a trained volunteer who went through the exact same thing I was about to go through. She was wonderful. We emailed eachother several times a week and still stay in touch. It. was so comforting having someone to talk to honestly and unobjectively. Their site is:

http://www.sidelines.org

I did all my maternity clothes shopping online at gap and oldnavy.com and my mom and hubby did all my returns for me at the stores.

Wish your friend the best for me. If she wants to talk, feel free to pass along my email address.

susan