PDA

View Full Version : baby's tongue

jojo2324
09-07-2002, 01:42 PM
I have a stupid-but-I'm-a-paranoid-new-mom question. DS is ALWAYS sticking his tongue out...Is this normal? I forgot to ask the ped the other day. Thanks...grinning sheepishly :)

brubeck
09-07-2002, 05:59 PM
Yes it's normal. And be happy! I went through about a 2 week period all upset because I thought my baby had a shortened frenulum. She was a little late in making tongue noises as compared to the 4 or 5 other babies her age that we knew. The lactation consultant when she was born told me that she might have a short frenulum (she was having trouble latching) and not sticking her tongue out was another symptom of that.

So I asked my pediatrician and she said that while most babies DO stick their tongeus out, they don't all do it at the same stage and my baby's frenulum was plenty long. BTW she's 21 months now and talking up a storm.

Basically your son has just discovered his tongue and is having fun. I bet in one month he's not doing it much anymore.

dd_ani
09-07-2002, 06:15 PM
:P

My daughter did this for about 3 months, from the time she was itty bitty. We figured it was her way of communicating, especially since she did it a lot more around family than strangers. (Although dh's grandma was a bit offended....)

Enjoy all these little moments -- :)

laura_winckler
09-09-2002, 10:23 PM
I think that this is very common. Stick your tongue out at him, too. Do it in response to him and initiate to encourage him to mimic you. Believe it or not, this the beginnings of "communication".

Enjoy these moments! They are so fun, but so fleeting!

Laura
SAHM to Eric (9/5/00) and Robin (9/3/02)

starrynight
09-10-2002, 03:20 PM
All my dd does is stick her tongue out :lol. She has pretty much done this since she was about 2 weeks old and she usually does it the most with dh and I. We do it back and she laughs. It is totally normal.