PDA

View Full Version : Birthing Centers...Water Births

mama2be
09-08-2002, 07:02 PM
I was wondering if any of you all had given birth at a non hospital birth center. I am almost certain that I will be going to one in Chapel Hill North Carolina. My plan is the water birth, though they have said you can walk in with the most specific of birth plans and alter that based on your needs at the time. Has anyone been to one similiar...or to that one specifically...any advice on that experience.
Thanks!!!

Rachels
09-09-2002, 09:16 AM
YES!!! You're in for a wonderful experience. I wrote my dissertation comparing hospital births with birth center births, and then had my own baby in a birth center. I know the Chapel Hill birth center, and it has a wonderful reputation. I agree with your midwife-- your specific birth plans may alter a bit as you see what your labor is like. I labored a lot in the jacuzzi, but wasn't in it for the birth itself. I had been very interested in a water birth, but just wasn't in the tub when I started to push. The advantage of a birth center is that you can really have the freedom to follow your body's messages and to do whatever feels right in the moment. I wouldn't trade my experience for anything. If you have other questions or just need some support for this choice, feel free to post them here or to e-mail me at [email protected]. I'd be happy to talk with you further.

-Rachel

mama2be
09-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Rachel thanks for your endorsement...I just imagine the birth in that environment. It has been a hard decision in that my OB-GYN out of Rex Hospital Dr Fortier is fantastic!!! I truely love that man, and don't want to show disrespect to him. He actually (not even knowing me) met me in his office on a Sunday when I was bleeding and did an ultrasound etc... I found that incredible that I was not told, "go to the ER and have them page me".

But my gut is the Chapel Hill Center...I'll email you later on your personal account because I would love to talk further about it.

Here is mine [email protected]

Thanks again!!!