PDA

View Full Version : Experience with "tongue tie"

twins r fun
09-08-2002, 08:54 PM
One of my sons is tongue tied, meaning his frenulum-the thing attaching his tongue to his mouth -is short. We go to the ENT this week to get it evaluated. From what I've read (mostly on the internet) some doctors reccomend clipping it and some don't. I've yet to meet this doctor so I don't know what his thoughts are, but I want to have as much info as possible so I can ask the right questions. Does anyone have any experience with a child who is tongue tied?

Nicole

dd_ani
09-08-2002, 09:37 PM
My brother and I were both tongue-tied. My parents didn't know I was until a dentist noticed it when I was about 5 or 6. It never seemed to cause me any problems when I was younger, although I do occassionally stumble over my words when I talk too fast. (But then, it could be that I am just talking too fast.... Sometimes I talk too much anyway..... :))

My brother is 12 years younger, so they checked when he was born and had his cut right away. No problems for him either.

I don't know what doctors are recommending these days, but see what they say. Personally, although I don't really have any problems, I might lean towards having it cut to be sure. On the other hand, it is always something you can have done later, and it doesn't necessarily lead to any difficulties with speech. (My sister was the one who ended up needing a speech therapist and her tongue was fine!)

Good luck!

Michelle

Rachels
09-09-2002, 12:21 PM
I've read that the main concern with tongue tie is that it can inhibit breastfeeding.