PDA

View Full Version : Post baby clothes?

daisymommy
09-10-2002, 05:06 PM
If someone would come out with clothes specifically made for after you have a baby (not just before!) they could make a fortune! I'm so sick and tired of wearing of wearing my maternity clothes (which thankfully are so big they are falling off of me), but my regular pre-pregnancy clothes are still too small! I need shorts that fit normally everywhere else except are roomy enough for pooch-belly, and my breasts are still too bloated to fit into most shirts. I've seen a little pants expander piece at Motherhood Maternity, but it looked like I would feel like my pants were falling down. Help! What did you all do? It's so frusrtrating to have lost most of my pregnancy weight, but not enough to wear my decent looking regular clothes!

twins r fun
09-10-2002, 06:36 PM
I just bought 2 pairs of pants and a few new sweaters in a size larger than I wore prepregnancy. I didn't have much variety, but it worked fine until I could get back in my regular clothes. Plus since the clothes were only a size larger I could still where them after I could fit in my prepreg. clothes so it wasn't a waste.

Nicole

brubeck
09-10-2002, 06:55 PM
In my case I had an extra 20 pounds that I couldn't get off. I wanted desperately to diet but I was nursing so I couldn't. I bought a few cheap clothes in plus sizes and wore them out for the 6 months I nursed, and then I was so eager to diet and get them out of my closet! It ended up being great motivation, and I was back to my pre-pregnancy weight about 8.5 months post-partum.

jojo2324
09-10-2002, 07:43 PM
Skip the waist-expander thing; I got that and used it once. It is nearly impossible to get the button through a button hole! I have seen in babystyle the belly basics transition set, kinda like their pregnancy survival kit which features 4 items, all in black. They say it's is good for those first few months when the maternity clothes don't fit and PP. Here's a link:
http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductDetail.asp?PMId=2371&SIND=1&cmCL=bellybasicsmain

It's pretty expensive. I really just wore expando-waistline items (ie, maternity sleep shorts and DH's boxers) for a couple of weeks; some were not so pajama-y and I wore them out in public. Honestly, in those first few weeks PP I didn't give a rat's petunia what I looked like. I was very conscious of the fact that I was a new mommy and in my eyes that meant I could do whatever it was I wanted with no consequence :) Like go to the bank in my pajamas.

cara1
09-10-2002, 07:55 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I'm 7 mos post-partum, nursing, and lower than my pre-pregnancy weight, but STILL can't wear any of my pre-pregnancy clothes. I'm beginning to wonder if I ever will... I ended up buying a few new pants for work, but I think I may just have to get rid of all my old stuff...

egoldber
09-10-2002, 08:01 PM
Glad to know it's not just me. Even though I am at my pre-pregnancy weight, things are just not where they used to be. I eventually broke down and got rid of some things and get some new things.

HTH,

KathyO
09-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Me too. I swear to Ghod, my actual hipbones have shifted or spread somehow. Not much, but enough. It's going to mean a sad farewell to a couple of really hot little dresses (sigh...)

suzska
09-11-2002, 07:30 AM
Well, they have, right? You hipbones, that is. Everything shifts to let baby out, and sometimes they just don't go back.

I am about 15 pounds over my pre-preg weight, but I was underweight to begin with. I don't mind the weight. It's the fact that it's all sitting around my waistline and not going anywhere. I measure my waist, and it says I'm a size 12! I was more like an 8 pre-preg. The rest of me still is more of an 8. I haven't been able to part with the old clothes, yet, even though I know I'll never fit into them again. I bought about 5 pairs of pants in a size 10 with at least a little bit of elastic in them, since I can't bring myself to get a size 12. :-( I've found Lands' End's 7-day twills/denims to be pretty nice. I don't know what a "normal" pair of jeans is anymore. And tuck something in? Forget it....AH, mommyhood!

spu
09-11-2002, 12:14 PM
None of my regular clothes fit either. For now, since it's summer, I'm wearing drawstring shorts and either maternity t's or nursing tshirts (I actually found a few nice ones that aren't ugly... and they have lycra!) One by one, some of my old shirts are starting to fit, but none of my nicer stuff comes close. Pants and jeans are another story. Fortunately, it's been warm enough that I'm in shorts most of the time. When pants are needed, I have a few pairs of nice pants that don't zip or anything - they just sit atop the hips. I wore them during months 2-3 before I could fit into maternity pants. I haven't even tried on any of my nice shoes yet... I hear feet get bigger too.

I have all my pre-pregnancy nice pants/skirts neatly folded in a drawer in the spare bedroom as an inspiration that perhaps they'll fit again one day. If not, than I guess I'll do a big shopping spree.

Just how long does it take, anyways, to get somewhat back to normal? My twins were born 7 weeks ago, and I lost 40 of the 50 pounds that I gained, but these last 10 are all in the wrong spots. Will it still keep coming off while breastfeeding? or is this it? (or maybe it's the icecream that I keep eating...)

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

mamahill
09-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Oh my gosh, you don't know what a relief it is to hear everyone writing what I've been feeling. DD is 5 months old and although I'm now below pre-preg weight, many of my clothes just don't fit the same. Some that were a little loose pre-preg are too tight in some areas and some that were a little tight pre-preg now fit fine. Weird. I don't think we ever go back to "normal" after our pelvises (is the plural pelvi?) have expanded to accomodate the babies. My ribcage has also expanded a little. As encouraging as it is to see the scale register lower, I still stand there scratching my head at how my clothes don't fit very well. Oh well, I guess this is just the beginning of what we sacrifice for our kids... lol!

brubeck
09-11-2002, 12:40 PM
Every woman is different with breastfeeding and weight. I maintained my extra 20 pounds while I nursed. I started to cut out desserts and try to eat only 'healthy' foods, and my weight was the same. I ate whatever the heck I wanted and my weight stayed the same. I just couldn't get rid of the extra until I stopped nursing and went on a serious low carb diet. At least I got to enjoy myself while nursing by eating like a pig and using the 'lactating woman' excuse! :-)

However I know other women who lost weight while nursing, and others who gained weight. I think it's just a body chemistry thing.

I did know one woman who had a daughter with serious reflux. In order to help her keep the breastmilk down, Mom cut herself down to a diet of plain chicken, green veggies and rice. The weight came off rapidly.

twins r fun
09-11-2002, 12:41 PM
I'm still hanging on to the last 10. Like you the rest just came right off-I think you have to work to get the last 10 off though, which I haven't wholeheartedly done yet! I did notice that when I stopped nursing (pumping, actually), I stopped losing and even gained a couple pounds. There was a definite correlation. Plus it doesn't help to be home and around food all the time. Also I found that in the beginning I was so tired I would eat (junkfood) to try to wake up and get some more energy and alertness.

Nicole

ct
09-11-2002, 03:28 PM
My solution was the stretch denim (they also have black -maybe other colors?) pants at JCPenney with large shirts over top (usually t's with a men's shirt over which is what I always have worn) and overalls (which I have always loved). The stretch pants were wonderful (I bought 4 pairs!) and fit no matter what you gain/lose (I really liked their maternity stretch pants which is why I tried the regular ones). Also, I found that I didn't lose that last 10lb until DD was around 1YO and starting to walk/run around. Running around the house chasing after her and trying to keep her out of trouble helped me lose that last 10 plus about 15 more with no dieting at all. Course now I'm pregnant again, but I am about 20lb lighter than I was with my last pregancy. I did have even greater problems finding maternity pants that fit me this time around (those bones do shift, in my case for good :)). Also, my feet grew 1 whole size (in length not width) a YEAR after my DD was born, so I am now paranoid to buy any more shoes in case it happens again after this one comes! I'll have to live with the 4 pairs I have now. LOL!! Best of luck to you - the good thing is that you have an excuse to go clothes shopping :)!!

ct

laura_winckler
09-11-2002, 04:48 PM
I was able to get back to my prepreg clothes pretty quickly after DS was born, but I grew a half size in my feet! I had to toss almost all of my shoes and replace them. Now, if only they would widen . . . I wear a narrow and would love to be in a medium width! I'm concerned that I'll have to replace all of my shoes again now that I've had DD. We'll see what happens with my clothes this time. I gained more weight with the second pregnancy than the first.

Even though my clothes fit correctly, though, I didn't tuck things in, not even after I weaned DS. I'm not sure when that'll look right again! My theory is that if you stay pregnant or nursing, then you don't have to think about it too much!! (just kidding!)

Laura
SAHM to Eric (9/5/00) and Robin (9/3/02)

daisymommy
09-11-2002, 06:11 PM
JoJo-
You go girl!!! I had to laugh at that last paragraph--and also sigh because I realize now that I am being way too hard on myself. I never let myself have that freedom, nor followed the advice of "sleep when the baby sleeps" and at three weeks PP I regret it big time! I'm burnt out and emotional, and part of it is probably my own fault. I think I'll try to remember what you have said in the future

"I was very conscious of the fact that I was a new mommy and in my eyes that meant I could do whatever it was I wanted with no consequence" :)
Thanks!

spu
09-16-2002, 01:37 PM
So in an effort to make myself feel wonderful and pampered despite the post-pregnancy physique, I treated myself to my first-ever professional massage. Feeling kind of frumpy and achy, I thought it would be nice.

When I get there, the owner said " now, you're pregnant, so..." and I had to cut her off and say "no, I just gave birth to twins." ... not really the way I wanted to start my massage session. haha!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

minamorin
09-16-2002, 01:56 PM
now at 8 mo. postpartum, i am actually below my pre-pregnancy weight. BUT MY PRE-PREGNANCY CLOTHES DO NOT FIT! they are huge around the waist, but like many of you said, somehow really tight around my butt.

what the heck, a really good excuse to go shopping, no? (but in reality, we don't have time to go shopping! and even if i did, my son will not let me try things on in the fitting room.... )

JMarie
09-16-2002, 03:54 PM
If your bones have moved and stayed where they've moved, there's probably not a lot you can do. The one thing I found which helped me lose weight in the hips when I lasted need to (I HOPE this works after the baby, too!) was Pilates. Yoga was great for relaxation, but I found Pilates worked wonders with muscle strength and flexibility and light weight training kept the metabolism going. If you can join a gym, many have day care - ours takes babies from 2 weeks old and up to two hours at a time. That's plenty of time for my Pilates class and weights, but I'd never be able to afford it without my employer's discount - gyms can be expensive. I must admit I'm dreading losing the weight and I worry about fitting into my clothes again, but I'm trying not to focus too much on that, just on taking care of myself for the baby right now. Of course, we could all be like my sister - she had to buy a new wardrobe because she was SMALLER than pre-pregnancy by TWO SIZES (She was a 5 to begin with...)! Some people just deserve to be hated.... (I really love her though!)

JMarie
EDD 2/28/03

jojo2324
09-16-2002, 04:22 PM
Can someone reassure me that your hips don't continue to shift with each baby? I can't imagine they do, but still...Also, what's the consensus on feet? My feet definitely spread (was an 8, now a 9, sometimes 9.5!). I've heard that they grow again with each baby too. DH really just thinks I'm trying to scam a new wardrobe :)

JMarie
09-16-2002, 05:59 PM
I honestly think it depends on your body type and genetics. I asked my mother and sister how their pregnancies were and neither had their feet stay more than 1/2 size larger and both got smaller than their pre-pregnancy sizes. My mother had five children and she definitely did not get larger with each pregnancy. My OB also said it may have to do with bone mass and flexibility - those with greater bone mass and a history of body flexibility may have an easier time getting back to their pre-pregnancy size, since their bodies are already used to movement. However, every woman is different and I just know I can't *count* on keeping my shoe collection and 'skinny' wardrobe past this winter. I can only hope.

JMarie
EDD 2/28/03

KathyO
09-16-2002, 07:54 PM
Oh, jeez, I hope to Ghod not! My feet were 9.5's to start, and if they're gonna keep growing with every baby, I'll have to start wearing the boxes instead of the shoes! It was bad enough, giving away my cherished black stilettos. Didn't wear them often, but it was nice just knowing they were there in the closet.

Has anyone else noticed the problem in actually FINDING the clothes to buy? I have made the odd shopping expedition, and I swear things have changed while I was away being pregnant. Now the stores seem to have polarized into two demographic groups... the bare-midriff teenyboppers with the pierced belly buttons and the blue-rinse orthopedic shoes set. Britney Spears or Edith Bunker. Where are the clothes for the woman in her thirties who has sacrificed her perfectly flat belly to motherhood but not her high-kicking soul? Is it possible to be a Hot Mama?

These aren't actually rhetorical questions. Who sells clothes that are sexy and flattering to broad hips and full thighs? Enquiring minds want to know!

In hope,

KathyO

minamorin
09-17-2002, 03:01 AM
KathyO, i hear you!

what i look for is (1) stylish but not too trendy, (2) comfortable, (3) not too expensive, (4) machine washable, and (4) no ironing needed. am i asking too much?????? oh, i must add, (5) nurse-able! now i'm asking too much, aren't i?????

Shirale
09-18-2002, 03:36 PM
I am SO so happy I stumbled on this thread- I feel so much better! I am nursing my 9 mo old DD full time (she is a majorly picky eater) and I cannot lose weight! Not a pounbd since she was 6 weeks old. I was a scrawny size 2 or 4 before pregnancy and now my chest only fits in a 10 or 12!!! I am wearing a F....I am seriosuly considering weaning b/c I am so tired of not seeing my feet...not matter what I eat ir don't eat my wieght doesn't budge....my Dr. said that after I stop nursing it should be easier to lose it and that because I had hyperemesis (severe vomitting and weight loss resulting in hospitalization) for the first 5 months of preganany now my body is hording weight much like an anorecic's body hords weight after recovery (your metabolism slows and it is hard to jump start it). ANyhow, I am sure I will lose it someday but I am noticing (like KathyO) that clothes are just not made in styles I like right now! Everything is too short and tight and it just doesn't look good...the sweaters that I used to think were long on me seem to have crept up higher...interesting! DD is def worth it...but I would like to feel like my old self, or at least somewhere near that!