PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Pampers question...

KimberleyDawn
09-12-2002, 12:33 PM
I feel really stupid asking this but I'm confused so I have no choice! So here goes nothing...
I really want to use Pampers this time because I had such a great experience with my 1st but I find there is too much of a choice! Please tell me if I have the stages correct:
1.) Newborn Swaddlers (size 1)
THEN WHAT!!!! Swaddlers size 2 or Baby Dry size 2 and when do the Custom Cruisers come into play? Also, just to stress me out further they throw in Premium and Premium Custom Fit!!!! I thought that I read somewhere that one of the Pampers types was slowly replacing another but I don't know which ones they are talking about. I want to receive diapers at my shower but I don't know which I should be registering for and how many approx. for each stage!
Kim

jojo2324
09-12-2002, 12:50 PM
Well, after much haggling with Huggies, we finally realized that Pampers would work for us. Here is what I've found so far.

Initially DS was in Huggies for NB and size 1. The Pampers swaddlers just seemed so wide, like they were cutting into his (very chubby) legs. Then Huggies were just leaking non-stop. Leaks, blow-outs, all the time. So I tried size 2s in both Huggies and Pampers (the RashCare ones, don't think those made ANY difference). Converted to Pampers Swaddlers, size 2. Now we're in size 3. The swaddlers become cruisers at size 3. My price club only has the Pampers Baby Dry. We got some of each and used the Baby Dry first. Wasn't too thrilled with them because they seemed a bit flimsy when compared to the swaddlers. But they really held everything in very well. Used all of those up and now we are using the Cruisers and I don't like them at all. They are very narrow. They seem so small in comparison to the Baby Dry ones. DS always seems to be straining against how tight they are (I put them on as loosely as possible.) And they seem to ride a bit lower than I am comfortable with. So I am just waiting to finish these and then it's Baby Dry for good.

I think that the Premium and Custom Fit are now being phased out by the Swaddlers and Cruisers. The Cruisers are made for moving babies, crawling and running around, and they do have a very stretchy tab. DS is only two months and is barely lifting his head, so maybe that's why they're not working for us. He's also huge, 16 pounds. There are a couple of threads about the differences between Huggies and Pampers. I think a lot of it has to do with the size and shape of baby. From everything I've read, don't commit to anything too soon. Buy the NB size in both and see what works for you. I have literally hundreds of unopened diapers that he just outgrew or I didn't like using. Good luck!

kellyotn
09-12-2002, 01:18 PM
I second not getting too committed to a certain type until you see in real life what works. You CAN take 'em back to some stores if you get ones that don't work at a shower, but Target won't do exchanges without a receipt anymore. I think I heard K-Mart won't either. BRU seems to though. (Though any of this could vary from area to area.) MY Target won't EXCHANGE the same brand, same color for a different size. No receipt, no luck.

At my shower very very few people remembered to include a gift recepit. If you aren't "in the know" about Target's policies, you wouldn't think about it.

My friend stocked up at Sam's for DD#2 with the same newborns she liked with DD#1. Lo and behold they didn't work on DD#2 at ALL. Just fit way different - big leaky messes.

SOOOO, I'd probably stick with other registry items (unless you know you can return/exchange @ your particular store.) There's still lots of "practical" items you can select, if that's what you want - wipes, baby lotions, shampoos, etc.

My 0.02!
Kelly

egoldber
09-12-2002, 02:47 PM
It used to be much easier. Pampers had 2 main lines, BabyDry (teal package) and Premium (purple package). They also have a Rashcare line (pale blue package), but I very seldom see those in stores and are abolutely EXHORBITANT, so I will ignore those here.

The Premiums have now become Swaddlers and Cruisers (depending on the size). But the name doesn't matter. Just look at the size. There is only ONE style of Newborn diapers. Starting with 1, they have a BabyDry and a Premium. So just look at the number. If your baby wears a 2 in Premium (or Swaddlers or whatever), then they will wear a 2 in the BabyDry line.

My personal opinion is that the Premium line runs just a little smaller than the BabyDry line. I have found that the BabyDry work as well or better than the Premium, so I always buy BabyDry.

Now, just for kicks, let's make it complicated again. Luvs are made by the same company as Pampers (Proctor&Gamble). Luvs are like a slightly less fancy BabyDry (outer cover not as soft, etc.). As far as I was concerned they were basically a BabyDry only a bit less expensive. For awhile at my local Target, Luvs were running MUCH cheaper than Pampers BabyDry (even with a coupon). Since then, they have become less of a deal. If I buy at Target on sale and with a coupon, I can usually get Pampers BabyDry cheaper than Luvs.

HTH!

KimberleyDawn
09-12-2002, 03:05 PM
Thank you ladies:)and I will not go crazy buying diapers before this baby comes on your advice.
Beth- Do you have the answers for everything:P? Like always your feedback is great!
Kim

egoldber
09-12-2002, 03:18 PM
Seems like we're on the computer at the same time today. :)

I'm afraid it's the fault of countless hours of researching. My DH calls it being obsessive. He says I can't even buy a pack of diapers without spending an hour on the web, LOL!!! When we switched to formula, I spent hours putting together a spreadsheet comparing prices per ounce from stores all over town (what can I say??). I think I have had to channel all my previous energy that I used to use as a project manager at work back into something!!! LOL :)

dd_ani
09-12-2002, 06:28 PM
I'm glad to hear I'm not only one who researches things to death. :) Dh's favorite words seem to be "Just pick something!" especially in BRU. Lol!

Michelle

Melanie
09-14-2002, 02:13 PM
We didn't use the cruisers until Ds became "squishy." I like them b/c I can tighten them enough to avoid leaks without feeling like I am strangling the little guy. For newborn, we preferred Target's Loving Touch...then at some point switched to Huggies briefly.

Mommy to Jonah

luvbeinmama
09-17-2002, 07:24 PM
Just a note about Pampers baby dry vs swaddler/cruiser (premium line). I noted a while back in a different thread that DS had a heat rash on the sides of his hips (using Baby Dry) and I was going to try the Cruisers to see if that helped because the sides are more cloth-like than the plastic-y sides of the Baby Dry. Well, it worked! No more heat rash! So, I would stick with Baby Dry unless your baby gets that nasty heat rash, then use the swaddler/cruisers during the nasty heat. BTW, I live in So. Calif. just north of LA.