PDA

View Full Version : Help w/Parent Place message boards/chat room

mama2be
09-16-2002, 02:08 PM
I am new to all of this and feel I have mastered this board pretty well and can follow it so easily. I am trying (and have attempted it several times) to activate the parents place one...

I am so confused as to how to "read" it, I see a question that I am interested in and can't follow it. What am I doing wrong...

Thanks

twins r fun
09-16-2002, 07:45 PM
Another question-is there a way to search the archives of the PP message boards?

Nicole

egoldber
09-16-2002, 09:13 PM
By not being able to follow a thread, do you mean you can't see the posted responses? Some boards are quite slow and don't get many responses. Other boards have a LOT of activity and turn over (or "archive" as they say) once a day or so. So do you mean 1) there are responses to a post and you can't see them, 2) you don't see any responses to a post, or 3) the posts go away before you get a chance to read any responses. Did that make any sense? LOL! :)

Oh, and there is NOT a way to search those boards. Extremely frustrating!

HTH,

mama2be
09-16-2002, 10:51 PM
I meant that I can see a part of a question or a statement and then I click on it and feel like I have to go back and forth to even begin to get the gist of what folks are talking about...

It might just be me, but really have trouble following it. I have read thru some of the archives tonight But wow...took forever. I feel like I'm doing something wrong but maybe not.

I guess since there really isn't a ubject line I can't ell if it's something I want to read or not without opening it up and reading it...

And what does the expand board/condense (I forgot their exact terminology) mean? I did not notice anything when I pressed these...

Thanks for any insite...I want to join the fun!!!

egoldber
09-17-2002, 01:10 PM
If you click on expand board, you should be able to see not just the top level posts, but also all the responses. If you click on collapse board, you will only be able to see the top level posts. If there are any responses, underneath the top post it will say "2 messages" (or something like that).

On those boards, a lot of the conversation takes place in the subject line without any additional text being provided in the message section. As a courtesy, people usually put (m) at the end of the line if there is "more" text inside to read. Or they put (nt) or (nm) for "no text" or "no more" if the subject line is all there is to the message.

You say there is no subject line, but the posted text is the subject line. Rather than using the subject line as a "real" subject line, most people use the subject line for their text. Does this make sense?

HTH,

mama2be
09-17-2002, 02:50 PM
IT does makes sense...thanks for explaining it :) I'm sure once I get the hang of it it will be second nature...it's just intimidating to look at the first time especially after this one...

Thanks much have a great day!!!!