PDA

View Full Version : Help us decide on a name!

k2
09-17-2002, 01:36 PM
Please give your opinion on our baby girl's name! We can't decide... and we're keeping it a surprise from family and friends!

Merritt Elise Norris

or

Lynley Elise Norris

Thanks!!

nywifey
09-17-2002, 03:07 PM
I've never heard of either, but the second one sounds more girly.

KathyO
09-17-2002, 03:20 PM
My test of a girl's name is how it sounds:

(A) being bellowed off the back porch at suppertime,

(B) being whispered romantically on a moonlit night, and

(C) being etched into a gold nameplate to go on an enormous desk because she is CEO of her own corporation, or a world-class neurosurgeon, or something like that.

Okay, it's kind of a tongue-in-cheek way of going at it, but maybe it helps! (Won't tell you which of the two names I prefer!)

Cheers,

KathyO

mama2be
09-17-2002, 03:46 PM
KathyO...that was awesome!!!!!!!

Only since you asked, and I stress since you asked (Becasue I have gotten mad a many of folks givng me their opinion on my CHOSEN names)...I really like that Lynley...I too have never heard of it and LOVE IT!!!!

But both names are gorgeous!!!!

egoldber
09-17-2002, 07:54 PM
I really like that! I'm going to have to remember this "test"!

I guess one of the reasons why I chose a classic name for my DD (I prefer to think it is "classic" rather than overly popular, LOL) is that these kinds of names usually pass that kind of "test".

I guess I prefer Merritt. To me Lynley sounds too much like Lindsey (which is fairly popular these days). I can just hear her being asked "was that Lindsey?" or being inadvertantly called Lindsey all her life. Just a thought.

Shirale
09-17-2002, 09:24 PM
Love the test!!! I will definitly have to remember that! Well, I think both names are lovely, but I think Merritt fits all of KathyO's qualifications better!!! Good Luck!

kathsmom
09-17-2002, 10:26 PM
I did the same "test" as KathyO did to help decide DD's and DS's names. OK, I did not picture how it would look on a gold plate on the CEO's desk!LOL. I did practice "introducing" my children to others - "Hello, this is my daughter Katherine Miller" or "This is my son Andrew Miller". I made sure their full names flowed together for those times when you are upset and need to get their attention - I remember my mom raising her voice and using my full name when she was upset with me!!

That being said, I like both names you have chosen (but will show partiality - did I spell that right?- to Merritt since it is my maiden name!).

Good luck with your decision!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (scheduled for 9/23/02)

sntm
09-18-2002, 06:57 AM
I really like Merritt also, but both are lovely. Have you considered posting a baby name poll on www.babycenter.com? Sometimes people come up with good comments. And adore the test! Although you would be surprised by the names some well-known surgeons (male and female) go by!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)

k2
09-18-2002, 09:51 AM
Thanks for all the opinions!! I'll take more!, and I'll create a poll at babycenter!

suzska
09-18-2002, 12:33 PM
Okay, since you asked.

I like Lynley, but probably because my middle name is Lynn. But I think Lynley Elise is a bit of a tongue-twister. I do like Elise, and it's one of the names on my very HUGE list if we ever have a girl. Do any of you watch Big Brother 3? I ask because Josh's girlfriend's name is Merritt (or something close), so when I see the name, all I hear in my head is him saying "Merr-witt!" Sorry, but you asked. And then there's the monogram--"MEN" vs. "LEN." I look at things like that because one of the names at the top of my list starts with "A" and I'd love to use "Suzanne" as a middle name (eventhough my name is "Susan," I always like "Suzanne" better). This would be okay, her monogram would be "ASB." But what happens when my daughter marries John Smith and becomes "ASS." See the things I worry about?!? Probably why I've never been able to come up with one set of names for a girl.

Momof3Labs
09-18-2002, 01:01 PM
Continuing the tongue-twister thread:

For that reason alone, I like Merritt Elise better than Lynley Elise, but Lynley Norris better than Merritt Norris.

How's that for throwing a wrench in the works??

Lori
due 10/12 w/ #1 and pretty well set on names... that is, until we see the baby!

k2
09-18-2002, 01:40 PM
I hear you all... see my dilemma? This is great info... I'm taking it all in!

However, on the monogram issue, a lot of monogramming I have done puts the last name in the middle and the first name on the left, middle name on the right so on items it would be mNe or lNe, but you're right... just listing them, Merritt would make MEN. Hee, hee...

ct
09-18-2002, 03:17 PM
I have to vote for Merritt. I'm big on formal names with a nice 'nickname' (I know, not everyone likes shortened names, but I happen to be one who does). Based on that, I like 'Merri' better than 'Lyn' (of course my middle name is Lynn and I've never liked it much). When picking our children's names, having a good shortened name is a HUGE part of it for me (my DH thinks I'm a bit nuts :)). Best of luck to you...

ct