PDA

View Full Version : Return of menstruation

cara1
09-18-2002, 08:58 AM
Nursing moms: When did your period start again? I know there is a wide spectrum of "normal", but I was just wondering when it happened for other people. Thanks.

twins r fun
09-18-2002, 09:22 AM
Mine was back by my 6 week post partum check-between 4-5 weeks I think. Kind of early, I thought!

Nicole

egoldber
09-18-2002, 10:16 AM
Mine returned the very next cycle after I stopped nursing (7 months post partum). I have a friend who nursed exclusively (and still is at 14 months post partum) and her cycle returned at 3 months post partum. Go figure.

HTH,

Melanie
09-18-2002, 11:05 AM
ugh - 5 months. I've read in order to keep it at bay you should not sleep train nor use bottles or pacifiers. Ds slept through the night, used pacifiers and the occasional bottle until about 4 months. Then gave up his pacifier, refused the bottle and began night-nursing. THEN my period came back! Not that I'm bitter or anything. ;-)

The first period was the worst to nurse through (milk supply low), but we perservered and now I don't really even notice a difference.

Mommy to Jonah

KathyO
09-18-2002, 11:14 AM
Baby born mid-April. Slow transition to additional foods begun five months later, in mid-September. Periods started up two months after that, in November (baby still nursing multiple times a day at that point).

HTH!

Cheers,

KathyO

dd_ani
09-18-2002, 11:25 AM
6 weeks. I was sure I must be having complications from the repair I had to have after delivery... But when it went away and came back a month later.... So much for the "fringe benefits of nursing" LOL

Michelle

Shirale
09-18-2002, 02:47 PM
Mine came back at about 5 or 6 months PP with full time nursing. I am still nursing full time at 9 months PP and my period is completely regular, and I am on Micronor (birth control for nursing moms.

ct
09-18-2002, 03:01 PM
Mine started the first month after starting birth control pills (low dose - safe for bf), so about 9 weeks after birth. I did want to note that the low dose pills did NOT work for me at all. My period began lasting 2+ weeks (it was always totally regular before). Essentially I had my period longer than I didn't each month. This went on for MONTHS (doctor told me to give it 3 cycles, it still happened, so I switched to another low dose pill, same thing happened). I needed to have surgery done anyway which the ENT wouldn't do until I quit BF, so between needing the surgery and the 2+ week periods, I quit BF around 5 months (and was a much happier camper :)!!). Once I quit BF, I went back to regular pills and all was normal again. Thought I'd note this in case anyone else ever has the same problem with the low dose pills (and thinks they are going crazy like I thought I was :)!!). Best of luck to you...

ct

mamahill
09-18-2002, 04:22 PM
Went to my 6-week check-up and the doc asked if my menstruation had resumed. "Nope!" I gladly said. Doc perscribed Micronor, I went and filled perscription. Took pill that night. Next morning... HELLO! It only lasted 4 days, and wasn't too bad (sharply contrast that with pre-preg when I had major flow for 7 days). Then, nothing. Two weeks ago dh asked as we were getting ready for sleep, "You still haven't had your period have you?" "Nope!" I gladly said. Next morning... HELLO! This time, though, I only had spotting for that day. Since then, nothing. DD is 5 1/2 months and I give her a "dinner" of rice cereal and a vegetable. Other than that, we nurse 4-5 times/day. Not sure when "it" will resume, but maybe as long as nobody asks... LOL!

ecarley
09-19-2002, 08:44 PM
I was nursing full-time still and it came back at 5 months, darn it.

luvbeinmama
09-20-2002, 01:55 AM
Mine came back 10 mos. PP, 1-2 mos. post-nursing. But mine are irregular to begin with (avg 4-5/year pre-pg, 7/yr post-pg), so don't count on me. SIL's resumed like clockwork right after she stopped nursing.

laura_winckler
09-21-2002, 03:58 PM
Mine didn't return until we weaned. Noisy cheer for Mama, as my DS would say! Keep in mind, though, that you can get pregnant in the ovulation period BEFORE you have your first period. That happened to a friend of mine. Quite the surprise for her. I took micronor for the whole year that we nursed. Progestrone only pills are safe for nursing.

Laura
SAHM to Eric (9/5/00) and Robin (9/3/02)