PDA

View Full Version : silly q

jojo2324
09-24-2002, 08:36 PM
Am I a failure if I choose to buy a costume and not make one? I can't sew...I can barely thread a needle! I guess there's no harm in trying; he'll only be laying around in it.

egoldber
09-24-2002, 09:39 PM
If you make a costume you're a GODDESS. If you buy one, you're human! I just bought Sarah a very cute elephant costume from Old Navy. Last year she was a bear from BabyGap. :)

Momof3Labs
09-25-2002, 10:14 AM
You definitely are not a failure! Why do you think there is such a big market for kids' Halloween costumes? Certainly not because there are that many moms out there that are failures!

BTW, I looked at the costumes at Old Navy (online) and they are adorable for the price!!! In fact, I want to keep an eye on the puppy one (surprise, surprise) and see if it goes on sale after 10/31. . . The Gap had a few costumes that were cute, but they were more expensive than Old Navy.

Lori
due 10/12 w/ #1, who will be a jack-o-lantern for his/her first Halloween (in a costume that was also purchased from a store!)

Melanie
09-25-2002, 01:05 PM
I hope not! Thanks for the info for oldnavy, I had no idea! I'd seen these cute "petables" at Target/Walmart but they looked a bit big, so I bought a Tigger fleece sweatsuit-style. We're moving a few weeks before halloween, so I didn't want to wait until the last minute when stores are picked-over. I think I may return it for something from Old Navy, though. Do you know if they sell these in-store or web-only?

Mommy to Jonah

mamahill
09-25-2002, 02:32 PM
I've seen some costumes in-store, but the selection is much better online. However, they're running a promotion in-store right now that you can save $10 if you purchase $50 worth of stuff. Just ask anyone there if you can have the coupon. If you're going to order online, I've got these codes (courtesy of clevermoms.com):

$10 off $75, code: NAVYBLUE exp 9/30
Free Shipping on $100+ Code: SEPTFS exp 9/30
FREE Shipping on $75+, code: FS4MOM
10% off $100+, code: ONBR
FREE Shipping on $50+ (American Express users) Code: AMXNFS
$10 off $75 code SUNNY exp 9/30
Free shipping on $100 code SEPTFS exp. 9/30
10% off $75 code LEAVES exp. 10/10
10% off $50+, code: SCHOOL exp 9/30
10% off $75+, code: LEAVES exp 10/10
10% off $75 code LATEFALL exp. 10/4

Old Navy is having a huge sale right now for everyone - got dh several long-sleeved shirts for $10/each - what a bargain!

And I certainly HOPE you're not going to make a costume Joanne, because then I'll feel guilty that you are working, have a reflux (or colicky?) baby AND can make a costume. Sheesh, way to make the rest of us feel bad...

suzska
09-25-2002, 02:47 PM
Believe it or not, but Lands' End is carrying some costumes this year. At $19.50, that's not a bad price.

http://www.landsend.com/cd/fp/prod/0,,1_2_474_16369_48617_35371_5:view=5,00.html?sid= 6325028242359159880&mode=GRAPHIC&refer=/cd/frontdoor/&fromsearch=1

I "wimped out" last year, and bought Evan a pumpkin bunting costume from Joann Fabrics for around $11.00 on sale. This year I plan to make his costume. I bought the pattern and fabric about two months ago, and I haven't even started! Guess I'd better clean off that diningroom table and get working! Since I bought the pattern and fabric on sale, the costume is costing me less than $15 (probably closer to $10). I just have to invest some time. And, yes, I can sew.

[Lands' End also has "big kid" costumes: princess, witch, wizard, or fireman for $29.50, I think. Search on Halloween.)

jojo2324
09-25-2002, 08:53 PM
LOL, I like that wimped out is in quotes! :) I never really thought about making a costume, but my mother was one of those aluminum foil and a baster magically turns into a something, so I do feel a little, I dunno, cheater-ish. But I am glad that most people don't make costumes. That settles it: Gannon's going to be Spider-Man. PaPa's stoked. Thanks!

suzska
09-27-2002, 04:59 PM
I had the pattern and the material in my hand, and then thought about the "free time" I had with a then 8-month-old, and decided against it. Especially since the stuff wasn't on sale at the time (I think), it was just more "cost effective" to buy one.

Still looking for the time to make this one.... Soon! Really! I promise! I'm trying to get my quilt stuff and vacation planning stuff cleared off of the diningroom table (which we never eat at) this weekend so I can cut of the pieces.

I was originally planning on making Clifford, but now I'm trying to decide whether I should alter it to be Elmo, since Evan is now a HUGE "Emmee" (as he calls him) fan.

suzska
10-06-2002, 01:12 AM
Okay, it's done!! Sorry no pictures yet. :-) I decided to go with the original Clifford plan. Partly because to make it look like Elmo, I would have to put the eyes and nose on top of the hood, and then it would look like Elmo swallowed Evan's head, and I just don't like costumes that look like that. At least if Evan is "Clifford," it's Evan's eyes and nose that are part of the costume, if I'm making any sense. I worked on the costume on Friday, and pretty much had it done in one day (I had to fix something Saturday morning--bad directions!). I bought some white Foamie stuff, and I think I'll make a "bone" that says "Clifford" and attach it to the front of the costume somehow, sort of like a "doggie tag."

jojo2324
10-06-2002, 01:12 PM
Well, we were all decided on SpiderMan, but then I got the LLBean catalog (Or was it Land's End?) and went crazy over the crab...I loved the eyes sticking out of his head! But they were sold out so I did a HUGE search over the internet and found a skunk costume that I think is so adorable and will probably be very bulky and uncomfortable and smell bad but it was sooo cute. I know, a skunk isn't perhaps the kindest cosutme. But I think that it's fitting, especially considering the THREE blowouts this morning between 10 and 2. I haven't received it yet, but once we have a few (rolls of) pictures snapped, I will try to post them.

I never thought about costumes swallowing their wearers' heads. Funny! :)

Sheila
10-06-2002, 08:12 PM
YES! I know what you mean re: the heads on costumes. All of the Pooh and friends costumes at Disney store are like that. I stayed away from them for that reason. Too weird looking!

I got the cutest costume this year from (of all places) Brooks Drugstore! It's a ladybug... was on the front page of their sale flyer last week. I was skeptical but went to look at it, and it is great! OMG, my husband and I got such a kick out of seeing our daughter running around the house in this cute costume when we tried it on her. I can't wait til she gets to wear it on the big day!

They also had pumpkins and bumblebees. I think they are really nice for $13!

Sheila

________
Handjob Blowjob (http://www.****tube.com/categories/666/blowjob/videos/1)

m2tandk
10-07-2002, 11:01 AM
I have bought EVERY costume my kids have worn! I cannot sew and don't really want to learn and with a schedule like mine I just don't have the time or energy! No, you are NOT a failure!!!

Kelly

suzska
10-12-2002, 01:31 PM
Too cute!!!

I decided to make Evan a Clifford costume for the same reason--in a few years I won't be able to do "cute." When I was trying to decide what to make this year, I bought two patterns--one that has dog, dinosaur, tiger, and pumpkin costumes, and one that has race car driver, astronaut, army guy costumes. I was trying to decide between the race car driver (since Evan is obsessed with cars) and something "cute." I went for the cute.

jojo2324
08-25-2003, 11:16 PM
Well, I'm sure that you're all on pins and needles awaiting the pics of DS in his costume :) It's pretty cute! I need to trim some of the belly hair because it was all in his mouth and nose, and it could be a little more comfortable, but still, I couldn't help myself. I figure in the next year or two I won't have any say in what goes on so I might as well get it in now. For some reason I can't get one of him without his tongue sticking out, but you get the idea.