PDA

View Full Version : Breastfeeding questions

mommytwobe
09-27-2002, 02:42 PM
I have 9 week old twins who were born 5 weeks early. AT first, they could not latch on very well, and would get tired at the breast so I had to first put them on the breast for as long as they'd go, then pump, then offer what I pumped in a bottle, which they almost always took. This was time consuming, but OK until they had a growth spurt at 3 weeks and then I needed to add a SECOND bottle after the breast milk bottle because I was not making as much milk as they wanted. Anyway, now they are really used to the bottle and get frustrated at the breast, so I have pretty much exclusively pumped for the past 4 weeks, offered them everything I pump, and then supplement with formula if they are still hungry...the bad thing is that I feel really guilty about not actually having them on the breast! I mean, I can rationalize that the important thing is that they are getting the breast milk, not HOW they are getting it, but I still feel awful and ashamed about it. Anyone else in this boat? And if you are exclusively pumping, how long did your milk last? I have heard stories of women's milk drying up from just pumping and that would be awful...

twins r fun
09-27-2002, 08:11 PM
My twins (7 weeks early) could not breastfeed well either, though I will admit I did not try very hard to get them to. I had no guilt about pumping, but was never into breastfeeding-just wanted the health benefits. I ended up pumping for 4 months and then gave it up because I'd had enough. I built my supply way up while they were still in the hospital by pumping every 3 hours around the clock for a few days. If I pumped every time they fed (they ate pretty much every 4 hours), I had plenty of milk, but as time went on I just could not make myself pump that often. As I pumped less, the less milk I produced. By the end, I pumped twice a day and was able to get half their feedings. I think if you have a hospital rental pump and are dilligent about pumping your milk won't dry up. I have heard a hospital pump is essential, even a Medella Pump in Style will not work as well.

I hate to hear that you feel guilty about it. The first 3 months with twins is VERY hard and you add another task (pumping) that must be done and it's even more stressful. Go easy on yourself-you are giving them the best you can! My boys (11 months) have turned out to be extremely happy, healthy, and loving even though they were not "breast" fed. And I can honestly say I feel very bonded with them! Please, please, please just believe you're doing what's right, survive these first few months, and enjoy your babies. Let me know if you need anything else.

Nicole

twins r fun
09-28-2002, 10:43 AM
One more thing to show that you're not alone! I took a twins prentatal class-there were 8 couples in it. Of the 8, I have stayed in touch with 4 of the women (plus myself, makes 5). Only 1 of us was able to breastfeed, the other 4 pumped! I pumped the longest, the others stopped around 2-3 months.

Nicole

Shirale
09-29-2002, 08:56 PM
I don't know much about twins but a friend of mine had a baby aroubd the same time as me and her DS wouldn't take the breast at all so she pumped and supplemented and actually, eventually he got bigger and wanted the breast! So now she is able to nurse, so there certainly is hope! Also, really try not to feel guilty, you are doing what is best for your babies health, and they are so lucky that you are giving them breast milk in any way! (and formula is a good thing too!) Good luck!