PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training Advice: What Do I Do Next?

brubeck
09-30-2002, 09:53 AM
Okay I am in the middle of (mild) potty training and I just don't know what step to take next. I was hoping that someone out there who has been through this could take pity on me and suggest something!

My daughter is 22 months old and is still wearing diapers (no disposable or cotton training pants yet). Every morning and night we put her on the potty. She climbs up herself and sits, and usually tries to make a pee pee come out. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. She is obviously not saving up her pee for these visits. I give her credit just for trying. I know she is trying because I can see her little tummy contract when she pushes, and she always looks down to see if it's coming.

Afterwards she wipes and flushes by herself, then I help her wash her hands (mostly to make sure she doesn't eat the soap and that she does a thorough job). We've been doing this for a couple of months and it is all a comfortable routine. I have also regularly been taking her poopy diapers and showing her that I dump the poopy in the potty, and having her flush it away. I don't think this idea has caught on yet. I also let her watch when I use the potty and give commentary.

She knows the words for pee pee, poopy, potty, flush and wipe, as well as the phrase 'wash hands'.

A few days ago I heard her say 'poo' and she semi-squatted while she was playing and sure enough there was a poopy in there afterwards. But she went on playing and I had to initiate a diaper change (along with associated poopy flushing game). She did this again over the weekend. I'm sure she did it other days too but I wasn't there to see. She gives no indication of when she is peeing.

Okay, there's the full potty scoop (sorry for the bad pun)! Any thoughts on how to proceed from here? Should I institute one or more additional regular potty times? Try training pants? What?