PDA

View Full Version : Sick baby after vaccines

Rachels
09-30-2002, 04:50 PM
My 4-month-old had two shots today, and she and I are both still crying. (It was awful.) She is clearly feeling bad-- crying a lot, feverish, but nothing that tips the scales into scary or unusual. Beyond Tylenol and endless nursing, does anybody have any ideas for us? Is there anything you've found helpful for soothing your baby post-immunizations? Thanks.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

candybomiller
10-01-2002, 08:08 AM
We had the same reaction after our 4 month shots too. My doctor told me that we could give motrin instead of tylenol just because it worked faster. Other than that, there was nothing else we could do. Just try lots and lots of cuddling and snuggling if she'll tolerate it.

Candy
-SAHM to Matthew Nicholas, born 5/22/02

loewymartin
10-01-2002, 03:08 PM
Sorry this won't help for this time, but my pediatrician said that I could give Alia Tylenol before the shots to ward off a reaction. Since Alia didn't have a hard time with the 2 month shots, and they were the same shots, I didn't do anything for her last week before the 4 month shots. We came home and I gave her Tylenol once, and she was fine (slight fever).

I also think if you are really upset about the shots it transfers to your child. Obviously just a theory, but worth thinking about maybe having Dad take the baby next time so you can do comforting/soothing and not be in there while the shots are happening. I know that Alia had more of a reaction last time as I was nervous and hated to hear her scream. This time I knew what was happening, had a bottle ready and swept her up into my arms to soothe her immediately.

I hope the 6 month shots go well for you. Since Matthew and Alia were born a few days apart (5/16/02) I'll be thinking of you when we're there in November!

Michelle - Alia's Mom born 5/16/02

jojo2324
10-01-2002, 03:22 PM
We have only dealt with the 2 month shots, but I nursed him while they did it. He didn't start to cry until the last one. (DH was there to let me know.) I didn't look at the needles, just tried to shut my eyes and hug DS a little closer. He really didn't have any reaction to the shots other than sleeping for about six straight hours after. I of course called the ped after about 4 hours, woke her up to ask if it was normal and she said it was fine. I also just held him the whole night. That way he was close to mommy and I would notice pretty quickly if something did not seem right. I know that this is not feasible for everyone; I guess it only really works when you have one baby! :)

I too have heard giving Tylenol before as a preventative measure, but since he really didn't seem to have any reaction last time, I don't think I'll do that. Good luck!

Melanie
10-02-2002, 11:31 PM
I'm not sure how severe the reactions have to be, but there is a government reporting system for adverse reactions from vaccines...

http://www.fda.gov/cber/vaers/vaers.htm

Mommy to Jonah

Zansu
10-03-2002, 02:45 PM
Please check with your ped if you plan to give Tylenol right before vaccines. Many peds check to make sure your baby doesn't have a fever, which would indicate that the child is not well enough to receive the vaccines.

egoldber
10-03-2002, 02:54 PM
This is my peds philosophy. They give Tylenol at the same time as they give the shots, but ask that you don't give it before they check their temp in the office.