PDA

View Full Version : Nausea in the Third Trimester?

nitaghei
10-07-2002, 12:24 PM
Hi!
I just need to know that I'm not alone....
It's week 27 - and I'm still nauseated, and vomiting - even though I'm on medication. Please tell me that there are other women out there like me. (I do not want to hear from those of you who were never sick :) ) And if you're one of those oh-so-lucky (not) women with migraines that become worse during pregnancy, I would love to know that I'm not alone in this misery.

Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled about the baby- we've waited six years for this baby(it took almost a year of trying, and I had transformed migraine for 5 years prior, so I couldn't even think of getting pregnant). But I'm really tired of feeling crummy (and people asking me if I'm imagining the nausea) - and not one woman I know experienced worsening migraines. My latest fear is that the migraines might keep me from BF'g the baby. My neuro is aware of this, and we are discussing treatment options.

Can anyone offer me any comfort? I've reached the stage of counting my blessings - no hypertension, no gestational diabetes....

Nita
(expecting our first 01/14/03)

mama2be
10-07-2002, 05:38 PM
Just a thought but could the medicine be causing it??? For instance sulpha drugs make me feel this way...

luvbeinmama
10-07-2002, 05:45 PM
No, you're not alone! I know SEVERAL women who were nauseated throughout their whole pregnancies (not me, but hey, guess I'm a lucky one! I only get sick in the 1st trimester.). Haven't heard about migraines getting worse, though. Sounds awful!

suzska
10-07-2002, 07:24 PM
I had nausea throughout the pregnancy (more gagging than vomiting). Luckily the medication worked for me--I was taking Phenergan. No migraines, though.

Rachels
10-07-2002, 07:40 PM
I had some migraines. Your hormones are going beserk, which can trigger them. I was advised to have a little caffeine, which was really helpful. You should be okay to try that since you're well out of the first trimester. I also got some relief with acupuncture. I know how terrible you feel-- hang in there. It DOES end!

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nitaghei
10-08-2002, 08:39 AM
No. The medication is for the nausea - Zofran. I couldn't function without it. Tried to cut back on the dose - and threw up for 2 days. I couldn't even keep water down for a while (sigh). I lost a lot of weight during the first trimester - when I was afraid to take the Zofran, even though both my OB-GYN and my neuro assured me it was safe. Just can't get DES out of my head! So here I am, at week 27 - and I weigh exactly 1 pound more than I did pre-pregancy! But it's nice to know that I'm not alone. Thanks for the support!!

At least the baby's doing fine. The ultrasound at 19 weeks indicated a BIG baby!

My neuro had warned me about the migraines. According to him (and he actually does cutting edge research), migraines become worse during pregnancy for about a third of the women who previously had them. It's just that I don't know ANYONE else who experienced this - and I know a lot of women with migraines!

And yes, I've been using caffeine - which certainly does help. BTW, caffeine is a Category B drug, according to the FDA, which means it's as safe as Tylenol. So, for those of you who do have headaches, a cup of tea or a coke may be the way to go!