PDA

View Full Version : First Haircut

twins r fun
10-08-2002, 08:00 PM
What do you do for an almost one year old who needs a haircut? My mom says I could do it myself (with someone holding him)-that seems impossible to me! We have a Cartoon Cuts near us, but as I looked through the window today I saw both kids who were getting haircuts screaming. Tell me some haircut stories and give me some advice. Thanks!

Nicole

jra
10-08-2002, 08:28 PM
We (husband and I) just gave our 10 month old his second haircut tonight. Of course, we basically shave his head, but it is still a task. If we can get him occupied with something to hold (brush, comb, toy, whatever keeps him entertained), he usually holds relatively still (hubby shaves, I hold head).

Now, if you need to use a scissors, I have no suggestions, but I wish you luck!

Jennifer

egoldber
10-08-2002, 08:50 PM
My DD has had a TON of hair since day 1. (Everyone said she would lose it, but it has only gotten longer and thicker!) She has had MANY haircuts in her 14 months. I have always taken her to Cartoon Cuts. In general, they do a nice job. They know how to cut hair FAST! It's interesting, her first couple haircuts (5 months and 7 months) were no problem. Since then, she has cried at every cut. Last time I had them cut her hair while I held her in my lap and that helped a little, but not a lot.

The quality of the cut at Cartoon Cuts (like any chain place) also varies depending on who you get. If you use them, make sure you go to their website (www.cartooncuts.com) and print out a $2 off coupon.

Another mom in my playgroup (whose little girl also has very thick, fast growing hair) takes her baby to her local Hair Cuttery. She says they do a fine job.

I could probably do it myself, but for me it is easier if I can try and amuse her while someone else does the cutting. Also, I was traumatized throughout my childhood with crooked bangs from my mother's haircuts. I SWORE I would never do that to my own child!!! :)

HTH,

luvbeinmama
10-08-2002, 11:33 PM
DS had his first haircut at 10 mos. I have a local place called Kids Cuts that I take him to. They give the kids a bucket of toys to play with on their lap while they get their hair cut. I've gone through many cuts with him, and the first one was great, he moved on to crying and I had to hold him a couple times. Now he just sits there & plays while they cut his hair. Also, he HATES the clippers. I ask the girls to just do scissors. I do let them do the "touch-up" work with the clipper, but DS shrugs & squirms the whole time that thing is on. There is only one person I will not go to there, and that is the owner. He, for some reason, does not wet the hair, and just uses a clipper on the whole thing. Dry hair was all over DS, in his face, eyes, ears, hands, etc. DS (and I) hated that cut, AND it grew out too soon. So I just make sure I get one of the girls.

I would say, go to the Cartoon Cuts place and try it. See how they are with the kids. The screaming kids you saw were probably going through that phase (I think they all do at some point). Places that specialize in kids usually have lots of toys and cut very quickly while doing a decent job of cutting the hair. Pretty amazing when you realize how much the kids squirm! HTH!

jojo2324
10-09-2002, 10:01 AM
I haven't had to go through this yet (and judging from DS's hairline, won't ever have to go through it :) but I think I read somewhere about someone giving a special treat during the haircut, like a really cute lollipop or something. I know, it's total bribery, but if you only do it during haircuts, then he might MIGHT start to look forward to them.

suzska
10-09-2002, 07:17 PM
For now I just trim Evan's hair as best I can while DH holds him. I went and got mustache trimming scissors since they have rounded tips. These work well enough. Granted it's not a straight cut, but at least it's out of his eyes. Grammy won't let him get a "real" haircut until we go to Walt Disney World in January. There's a barbershop on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom and they make a "big deal" out of 1st haircuts.

tarheelmom
10-09-2002, 08:10 PM
I just got my little boy's hair cut for the 1st time a few weeks ago (he's 14 months). We went to Fantastic Sams. Since it was his first haircut, it was free and we got a little certificate. They made sure to save some of his curls for me, too. We also did not use the clippers, just scissors. Ryan did great - he sat in the chair by himself and didn't cry. My dh went with us and took pictures of our "big boy" - it was sad to see those little curls going but lots of people thought he was a girl because of his "wings". By the way, they did a great job with his cut - it's very cute!!

twins r fun
10-10-2002, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all the info-I think I'll try Cartoon Cuts. Thanks for the coupon info Beth! Now I have to decide whether to do it before the 1 year pictures and risk a bad cut or wait until after and just let him look all scraggly and girly in the picture!

Nicole