PDA

View Full Version : My dreams were all wrong!

JMarie
10-08-2002, 09:29 PM
We had the ultrasound today and all the little girl dreams have gone up in a cloud of baby blue! We are most certainly having a little boy - he's a flasher. We saw him from three different angles, and there is no mistaking his little boy parts. He is VERY active - the tech could not get a good picture of the four ventricles because he kept squirming. He looked like he was waving at the camera. He's actually measuring almost a week ahead of schedule, so the new EDD is 2/23/02. The OB's are not concerned - they're all pretty certain I'm not making it until the end of February anyhow. I haven't gained a lot of weight, so that's not the problem either. My OB today said I must just be a fast 'cooker' - he's a real strange man sometimes, but has amazing bedside manner. Think Patch Adams type. Anyhow, DH has been jumping around all day, telling anyone who will listen that we're having a boy. The past three generations of men in his family have all had first-born sons, so we're just carrying on the tradition. I'm used to little girls, but I am so excited to have a little man in the house! Now I get to register for the appropriate colors! Woo hoo!

JMarie
EDD 2/28/03

mama2be
10-09-2002, 07:34 AM
JMarie,

Congrats!!! Looks like were neck in neck with these guys, as you know I am due Feb 21st BUT in the opposite situation they think he is small...but they have not changed the due date (I actually know when I conceived which is alittle sad to admit)...

I have only gained 1 pound with the pregancy which is suprising since I have not gotten sick once. But they don't seem too concerned with that.

jojo2324
10-09-2002, 09:46 AM
Congrats! We didn't find out what we were having, but could pretty much tell it was a boy. DS would not be too cute as a girl :) Our family is the same way, a lot of first born sons. Actually, DH's father is expecting in early March and they just found out they are having a boy as well. (Second marriage, younger woman.) I guess we'll keep trying for our girl! That's when I'll stop popping 'em out. So I claim!

And Neve, that 1 pound will turn into 20 before you know it. I remember holding up the maternity underwear and thinking that there was no way I was EVER going to need those. (This is when I was 6 months PG.) A month later they couldn't be big enough :P They kept moving back my EDD because he was small, but in the last month he just exploded. So much for bikinis...sigh....

JMarie
10-09-2002, 09:55 AM
I haven't even LOOKED at the scale, but I think I've gained around ten pounds. I also had zero morning sickness - thank goodness - but I was restricted from exercise starting at six weeks. I'm now allowed minimal exercise - walking for 30 minutes, no more than a mile and a half, beginners prenatal yoga, but no aerobics or running. I was very active prior to the pregnancy, so I'm not too terribly worried about losing the weight, but I was anorexic in high school (gymnastics...) and I start feeling myself pulled back into that black hole every once in a while. Thank goodness for supportive husbands! Gaining the weight is hard - increasing what I eat is harder! - but I know it's what's best for the baby. I'm still not very big, but I'm sure that will change in the next couple of months. You might be like my sister - she gained a pound or two during the first two trimesters, then gained 25 pounds in the last two months! It was amazing, but Abby (her daughter) is perfect!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

Shirale
10-09-2002, 11:25 AM
Yeah...I didnb't gain any wieght whatsoever (lost some) until I was more than 6 mo pregnent and then BOOM! 55 pounds (well, I had preeclampsia) and now 20 of it won't budge...argh. (and I eat healthy, excersize, chase around after my adorable dd....and nurse!) oh well. Someday it will be gone, but for now- I am happy to be a mommy!

mama2be
10-10-2002, 10:51 AM
I knew I couldn't dare "luck out" and possibly get thru thru this with minimal gain...I eat like a pig (love food)...so I am certain that is going to come on me quikly. I did gain some before getting pregnant and kinda feel like I should factor that in...

DWATS!!!!

kathsmom
10-10-2002, 11:53 PM
JMarie,

Congratulations! We just had a little boy, and even though it scared me to death to have a son, we are just thrilled with our little angel. I think I was scared, because I just am so used to little girls. Now, I can't imagine having another little girl - we love having one of each!

Let us know how things are going with you and your pregnancy!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

JMarie
10-13-2002, 09:34 AM
I am actually excited for a little boy - it gives me a new experience. Now, I did nanny for my uncle one summer - two children, Lauren, 2 yrs, and John, 6 mos - so I've had a little practice with boys, but not newborns! Everyone is just so happy - my grandparents have two great-granddaughters and are just ecstatic for their first great-grandson - and DH could not be more supportive. Aidan is extremely active already - he hates it when I sit normally (I need to be reclined or he thinks my bladder is a trampoline) and when I lay on my left side - and he has a fairly predictable schedule. He's awake at three-thirty, nine, noon, four, seven, and sometimes ten. I just hope that lasts once he's here! The OB's are still keeping a close eye on my cervix to make sure it doesn't thin and dilate too early and also working with my GI to keep my IBS under control. I can't BF because of the meds and I can't take it while pregnant unless absolutely necessary. It's a Class B drug, so they simply don't know what it might do to his development. It's only been tested up to 40 mg through the first trimester and no tests in the second or third trimesters. I've just had to be careful and watch what I eat more than usual. I'm finding that I'll put up with the attacks a lot more now that I can feel him moving - I just don't want to do anything that might put him in jeopardy, even if the risk isn't that great. I just make sure I get extra potassium, eat lots of yogurt (dairy isn't so good for the IBS, but the active cultures in yogurt do WONDERS for intestinal health - in case you ever wanted to know!), and try not to get stressed out! Suddenly, boy or girl didn't matter. All I care about is that I can do everything possible to get him here healthy and with the best chance of survival. I'll deal with everything else. My goal now is just to make it until Valentine's Day!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

mama2be
10-13-2002, 03:10 PM
JMaire,

I like the name Aidan...great choice!!!

JMarie
10-13-2002, 09:30 PM
Neve,

Thanks - I like Tristan too. We were trying to stick to the Celtic/Gaelic/Welsh names from my heritage without using any of my 'family' names. I mean, I have three cousins named Nicholas! Christopher is a family name - it was either that or Michael, also a family name - but we decided middle names should be from family. I also wanted a name that wasn't very common - my parents gave me a VERY common name and I never had a class where I was the only one with my name. I was always going by a nickname. My favorite resource had to be babynames.com - you can set up a list with your last name, add middle names, and just see how names look. I have a list two pages long with names we've picked out! However, I have NO intention of using all those names!

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher