PDA

View Full Version : Could my baby be teething?

mamahill
10-10-2002, 02:42 PM
I tried doing a search, but couldn't find an answer to my question. Dd is 6 months old, so it could very well be teething, but she doesn't have a fever. She's cranky a LOT. I feel like we've regressed several months. A week ago she would sit and play and jabber quite happily for half an hour or more. Now she needs me right there and preferably holding her. She is constantly chewing on her thumb - though she doesn't suck on them like you'd think - she sticks them way back on the side of her mouth so she can bite on them. She is also pulling in her bottom lip and sucking on that. DD used to be a beautiful napper - the past few days I've been lucky to get 2 45-minute naps out of her. She's cranky a lot (I know I already said that, but she IS) and I don't know if she's in pain. I'd like to help her some way, but don't know if Tylenol is the best thing, especially since she doesn't have a fever. I don't want to become a Tylenol-obsessed mom (it was my mom's answer to everything "take 2 tylenol and go lay down" even when i had broken my wrist - not that she knew it at the time :) kind of like the dad on "my big fat greek wedding" and his obsession with windex...). When I told my mom I thought she might be teething, she said, "Maybe. Or it could be a new phase." aaaaaaah - say it isn't so!

Ok, I'll stop going on. I guess I got giddy since her eyes are closed. If anyone could lend advice, support, etc., would appreciate it tremendously...

TIA!

Rachels
10-10-2002, 03:17 PM
It sure sounds like teething. You could try Tylenol and see if it helps. A little certainly won't hurt her. Homeopathic chamomilla and Hylands Teething Tablets also work well (and FAST). You can find both at health food stores or online, and they're a really good option if you don't want to medicate her. My daughter also likes chewing on a moistened, refrigerated baby washcloth. Hang in there!

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

twins r fun
10-10-2002, 03:37 PM
The biting the hand and not sleeping sure sound like teething. Not all babies get a fever with teething (mine never have). Try the tylenol and if she seems less cranky-it is probably teething!

Nicole

KathyO
10-10-2002, 11:28 PM
If Tylenol doesn't work, try Advil. Tylenol didn't do a thing for us. Actually, there are some scary warnings coming out regarding Tylenol and liver damage, so if using it, follow the dosage recommendations TO THE LETTER. According to several recent news sources, Tylenol (acetominophen) has caused more liver-failure deaths in the US than any other drug. Many of these occurred where the drug was combined, even in small quantities, with alcohol, but a large part of the problem is the thin line between a safe dose and an overdose. Even exceeding the dosage by a small amount can cause havoc if done over a longer period. Plus it seems to have some nasty interactions with certain other drugs, so check with your doctor or pharmacist if your child is receiving anything else.

That being said, Advil is more likely to cause stomach upset than Tylenol (although we never had that problem). If you use it, try giving it (Advil) with food/milk as a buffer.

Best,

KathyO

egoldber
10-11-2002, 09:05 AM
Here's a link to the study that looked at Tylenol/acetaminophen overdosing in children. http://hsc.virginia.edu/cmc/pedpharm/v6n3.htm

Most of these overdosages were as the result of parental confusion. Many parents accidentally overdosed their children by one of the following means:

a) confusing INFANT Tylenol/acetaminophen drops with CHILDRENS Tylenol/acetaminophen liquid which have different strengths and different dosing mechanisms (dropper vs teaspoon)

b) not understanding that acetaminophen is the generic equivalent of Tylenol and "double dosing" their children by giving multiple products that are medically the same and

c) not realizing that many cold/allergy products also contain Tylenol/acetaminophen and then ALSO giving their children regular Tylenol/acetaminophen.

There is also relatively recent information that Tylenol/acetaminophen overdosing is more harmful at lower levels than had been thought previously. It is always important to read the label and understand ANY medication you give your child. But Tylenol/acetaminophen is still a safe drug for your child when used appropriately.

HTH,

mamahill
10-11-2002, 04:09 PM
Wow - thanks for all the great information! Scary what can happen if you over/doubledose - guess it's better to underdose. I'm going to go find those homeopathic tablets today (when I mentioned them to dh, he said, "Oh yeah, a woman at work was telling me about those." thank you dear). Ainsleigh has been asleep for 2 1/2 hours now - I think I'll go make sure she's alive. Thank you for all the information - I feel more confident going into a new phase of her life equipt with all the knowledge I can get!

Thanks,

suzska
10-12-2002, 02:01 PM
Evan never got a fever when he was teething, but he does get cranky! He'll chew on anything he can get his hands on. We would usually just give him a dose of Tylenol at night, to get us all through the night. We didn't usually give him anything during the day unless we were truly desperate. My mother always freaks out about the over-medicating. But with Evan it would be the dose at night for a few nights in a row until the teeth broke through (and only after about 3 nights in a row of everyone not sleeping very well until we realized it was teeth time again). I think my mom thinks we were giving it to him constantly around the clock.

luvbeinmama
10-12-2002, 11:10 PM
One thing you can also do to avoid the overdosing, is switch between Tylenol(aceteminophen) & Advil/Motrin(ibuprofen). They are totally different drugs, so there isn't the issue of overdoing the tylenol by giving a 2nd dose too soon. When DS was in pain I would give the Tylenol if he needed something in the evening but give him Motrin for overnight (the Motrin lasts longer, too). DH was an EMT so I was totally aware of the Tylenol overdosing issue.

mamahill
10-15-2002, 02:23 PM
Great idea! I guess that was why they switched between tylenol and motrin for me in the hospital post-delivery. Never thought about using that technique for dd. I don't know if it's just my nerves wearing thin by the end of the day, but I find myself wanting to give her something in the early evening and before bed. Anybody know how long it takes for teeth to break through? I check every morning and from what I can tell (dd is not so cooperative), nothing has broken through. If it's taking this long, maybe she isn't teething?

Thanks for all your help!

suzska
10-16-2002, 12:03 AM
It can take a really long time. Although the front ones are easier than the molars. DS has been working on those back molars for what seems like months.

With the front ones you should be able to see the white bumps just under the gumline before anything breaks through. Once they're through, you'll be able to feel the teeth with your finger. If you run your finger over the gums it will catch. But then it still takes a while until the teeth are all the way "in."

I can't remember much with the first ones, but I know DS was working on 9-12 while we were on vacation last January. We didn't realize that's why he was the way he was when we were on vacation (the only thing that would calm him was chewing on Grammy's purse strap). The last day of our vacation I noticed a tooth had come through. Then it all made sense. He got the next 3 within the next 4 weeks.

Evan was born 03-11-01, and here are the dates for his teeth (if that helps). I went back and looked them up:

#1 07-28-01 (4.5 months)
#2 07-30-01 (4.5 months)
#3-4 08-20-01 (5.5 months)
#5-6 09-21-01 (6.5 months)
#7 10-14-01 (7 months)
#8 11-15-01 (8 months)
#9 01-22-02 (10.5 months)
#10 02-06-02 (11 months)
#11 02-14-02 (11 months)
#12 02-22-02 (11.5 months)
#13 05-03-02 (13.5 months)
#14 05-09-02 (14 months)
#15 05-10-02 (14 months)
#16 05-26-02 (14.5 months)

They often come in pairs, but Evan didn't always follow the "typical" order. And he certianly didn't follow the "typical" age since the first ones were at 3.5 months. I guess looking back at the dates, maybe it did take a month for those first ones to come in because I remember thinking he got his first teeth at 3.5 months, but that says 4.5 months. Then he roughly followed having as many teeth as as many months old he was. The average age for the ones he's working on now is 20-24 months. I just hope they come in before we go on vacation again in January.

Hallie_D
10-16-2002, 11:11 AM
Has anybody tried orajel? DS has been fussy and not sleeping well for about a week and yesterday his day care provider called me to say that he had cut a tooth. She asked me to bring down some orajel in case he got fussy, but didn't actually use it. This morning DH and I could actually see the tooth--hooray! He never got a fever so it never occurred to me to use tylenol/advil.

I had asked DS' pediatrician and a friend who is also a pediatrician (but who lives in another state) if DS was teething, since he's been chewing on anything he can get into his mouth for about 4 weeks now, and both said no, he's too young (he's 4.5 months). Guess they were wrong!! :-)

cara1
10-16-2002, 11:37 AM
It always bugs me when everyone I know tells me DS is "just teething" every time he's fussy, drooling, or biting things. I think he just has fussy periods, periods of bad sleep, always drools, and as a baby, loves to explore things with his mouth. I think it's reasonable to try the Tylenol. If it works, great, you have your answer. If not....

Also, could your daugher be having early separation anxiety and not want to be put down for a nap? (That's another one people keep telling me...)

I just feel like DS goes through phases like you described, and I don't think teeth have much to do with it. :)

mamahill
10-16-2002, 12:05 PM
Great information - thanks! Ainsleigh is 6 months, so it's definitely time for the teeth. Her bottom gums are hard, but no white. Oddly enough, I think I see white on the top gum (when she lets me look), so maybe she's getting her top teeth first? Thanks for the info - glad to know that I shouldn't expect her teeth to come in 4 days. Patience is a viture of motherhood I am only beginning to learn ;).

mamahill
10-16-2002, 12:09 PM
While DD definitely has her fussy periods, I'm hoping this really is teething. She used to be a terrific napper, but not lately. The ped mentioned that between 6-9 months babies will begin to exhibit separation anxiety, or perferring only his/her parents. So who knows. I'm a sahm, so surely a brief separation (for naps) wouldn't be too much to ask? We're together the entire day! oh well. Thanks for the advice and info - knowing other people's babies are similar makes me feel better.

suzska
10-17-2002, 11:03 PM
Evan got his bottom front teeth first, then the top ones on either side of the middle before actually getting the middle ones. Then back to the bottom to complete those four. Then top, bottom, bottom, top. And it would vary between left before right or right before left. No rhyme or reason.

As with everything, each baby is different! ;-)

Don't you just love that!

And Evan bit me the other day. By accident. But this is what he use to do when he was teething. I use to cringe every time his face came near me! Add the fact that when he chews on some of his toys he's shoving them to the back of his mouth, where the new molars would be, and I think we're at it again! But anytime I try to check, he holds his mouth closed and gets very upset with me.

Okay, all this talk is making MY teeth hurt! LOL!

Rachels
10-18-2002, 06:50 AM
Don't use Orajel! It's benzocaine, which is a serious medication. My ped says it's used in children with cardiac problems! The problem with gels is that there's no way to get an exact dose, so you don't know how much is getting into your baby's system. It would be VERY easy to overdose, and the baby's heart could be affected. Better to use teethers, Tylenol, or homeopathic teething gel.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mamahill
10-18-2002, 02:44 PM
oh my gosh - scary! I didn't even think about that aspect. I've held off buying it in favor of homeopathic tablets, but I have a couple coupons I was saving for when orajel went on sale somewhere so I could get double savings. I'll throw them out now since I don't plan on buying it. Thank you for the info!!

mamahill
10-18-2002, 02:50 PM
you are a fountain of good info - thank you! Ainsleigh refuses to let me feel her gums, but when I sneak a finger in there, I feel a bump on the bottom and top, but not in the middle - more like the next tooth over (if that makes sense). Glad to know Evan had some side teeth come in before his top middle so I don't think A is a weirdo. Guess I'll just be glad it's not her pointy teeth coming in, making her vampire baby. Though Halloween *is* coming up...

oh, and so even though (by my estimation) Evan is 18 months, kids still gnaw on stuff and refuse to let you look in their mouths? funny how some things don't change.

nigele
10-18-2002, 03:19 PM
Our pediatrician confirmed that my 3 1/2 month old is teething which goes to show that every baby is different. We have been able to see the liitle white dot on his gums for several days now. He has been really fussy for the last two weeks and the past few days he screams if I put him down, wakes frequently at night, is taking really short naps (20-30 minutes), he's furiously chewing on his hands and he's drooling like crazy. The pediatrician told me to use Tylenol which helps but doesn't totally make him feel better.

suzska
10-19-2002, 11:24 PM
Evan had gotten better about gnawing on stuff. For a long time I wouldn't let him play with his board books because he would chew them to shreds! Then we had a break after the last teeth came in and he started to "understand" that books were for reading--and he loves to "read" books now! But the other day I caught him with a book in his mouth! :-( It seems like I am forever telling him to get a toy out of his mouth. And he doesn't hug his stuffed animals, he bites them on the nose while he hugs them. One of his stuffed dogs no longer has a nose. Evan has a little rash on his face again because he falls asleep biting one of his animals and the saliva soaked thing gets pressed against his cheek. :-( One of his bears is named "stinky bear" because no matter how much I wash it, it still smells like mildew or something. But it's his favorite bear, so what are you going to do? DH and I can't stand to be around the thing and can't figure out how Evan can stand to put the thing in his mouth. Oh, and Evan is 19 months. It does get better, but for now it hasn't stopped completely.

Evan looked a little like "vampire" baby if I remember even though it wasn't his pointy teeth that came in before the middle ones.

egoldber
10-21-2002, 03:34 PM
On the complete opposite end of this spectrum Sarah is just now getting her FIRST TOOTH at 14 months. I am SOOO relieved because at 15 months, if she still didn't have any teeth, the ped wanted to do Xrays and bloodwork. Now that's all unnecessary. She's just a very late bloomer when it comes to teeth!!

Of course she picked a time when we were away from home and driving cross country and staying in hotels (up crying at 3 am). Poor thing!!! I can definitely feel the tooth, but it's not out yet.

nigele
10-21-2002, 08:42 PM
Wow - I'm glad they came in on time! I'm sure you were worried.

It is really sad to see them in misery. I feel bad for DS because he can't even hold teething toys yet which might relieve some of his discomfort!

Rachels
10-22-2002, 09:03 AM
I do not enjoy the whole teething saga. Abigail is 5 months old and biting everything in sight. She has also just started on solids (having gotten to a point where she was kicking and trying to rip my fork out of my hands anytime she saw me eating), so everything is also a big intestinal experiment. Last night she was awake and crying quite a bit, which is not like her. So now we have a mystery on our hands. Was it teething or peaches which bothered her?

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mamahill
10-22-2002, 06:23 PM
You don't know how glad I am to hear that. It seems like everyone asks me "Is she teething yet? *MY* son/daughter got her teeth at 4/2/born months..." Ok, nobody has claimed their child was born with teeth yet, but I wouldn't be surprised (I've *heard* it can happen...). Then they look at DD like she is a fish or something, because that could be the only explanation for why she doesn't have teeth. I figure it's just putting off one more thing to worry about (brushing, cavities, braces, etc.)!

And still nothing... but she does have bumps on her gums. I think that fussiness was a growth spurt because now she's much better and taking one 60-90 minute nap and another up to 2.5 hours! She still puts everything in her mouth, but I guess that's just what babies do.

Glad Sarah's is/are coming up - poor baby. Hope you had a nice trip otherwise. Take care - everytime I watch the news and read about the sniper I think of you and the other moms in the area.