PDA

View Full Version : To the ladies in VA/DC/MD

jojo2324
10-14-2002, 10:40 PM
I know, I am being completely paranoid here and you are probably laughing at me, but please be careful!! I am not familiar with this area, but I know that some of you live there and that some of you are crafty and might go someplace like Michael's. I think I just need to start watching Nickelodeon, not so much stress. I was hoping to give myself a couple of years, before DS got into TV mode, but I might have to do it for my sanity!

egoldber
10-14-2002, 11:23 PM
Believe me, I'm not laughing. I live in Fairfax, VA. I must admit I wasn't too freaked out until today. There was another shooting tonight at a shopping plaza a few miles away from me that I go to all the time. In fact I was even thinking about going there today and I just ran out of time! Yikes!

DH is traveling again for business, and I'm going to be alone for 10 days, so Sarah and I are leaving tomorrow for Ohio to visit my parents for awhile. I wasn't leaving to get away from the sniper, but I'm not sorry I'm leaving now! I'm just thankful I bought gas a few days ago so I don't have to stop for gas until I'm WAAAYYY far away. Isn't that awful?????

I really hope they catch this crazy guy soon!!!

jojo2324
10-15-2002, 11:56 AM
I hope so too...It's creeping me out! I'm glad you're getting out of town for a few days. Enjoy your vacation!

mamahill
10-15-2002, 12:27 PM
I think we all should be paranoid right now - the latest victim was a woman shopping with her husband? I'll admit that a couple days ago I began to really worry about Beth and the other women (and men, few as they may be :)) from this bb in that area. Glad you're going away for a while Beth. Take care - it would be enough to scare me into hibernation. Hope they catch this creep soon.

twins r fun
10-15-2002, 02:34 PM
Thanks for thinking of us-it is scary around here. As much as you try not to let it change your life, it does. I'm still about 20 miles away from the closest shooting but I carefully select my gas stations and try to shop/run errands only at midday. They've GOT to be getting close to catching him/them-let's hope it's soon.

Nicole

all4sanity
10-15-2002, 06:10 PM
I too was thinking of you ladies (Beth included). Glad your all well and safe. Beth, glad your leaving the area for awhile. It's no time to be home alone with a young child.

What's a little scary is that one of the shooting took place in Fredricksburg (sp), Virginia which the Automobile Association of America recommends is the safest place to stop and spend the night while traveling along I-95 from NYC to Florida. I was telling my DH that we were in that vacinity a few years ago when we drove down south and I insisted we spend the night in Fredricksburg since AAA rated it a family safe environment. I don't know about now!!

And how ironic is that I am so not familiar with neighborhoods down south and that name stood right out! Of all places.....

Marie

JMarie
10-15-2002, 06:24 PM
My heart goes out to all of you in the area. My best friend is in Ellicott City and her parents and in-laws are in Silver Spring, so I worry every night about her. She's also finishing her PhD and she's out by herself at classes, so I worry even more! No one should have to live in fear or worry every day to such an extent about loved ones. It begins to reach a point where the fear almost takes over. I know I don't live right in the middle of it all, but I can't help but be affected. I just hope, for everyone's sake, it all ends soon.

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

sntm
10-15-2002, 07:00 PM
I'm farther south in Charlottesville, but a lot of my patients have been coming in from northern Virginia and they are terrified. Everyone's been on "white van" alert -- I feel bad for the hundreds of innocent van owners out there who cause panic whenever they stop for gas.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/8/03

megsmom
10-15-2002, 08:48 PM
It's really unnerving right now. I, too live in Fairfax,VA and work about 2 miles from yesterday's shooting. You find yourself thinking, "Is this gas station/grocery store by any major intersections or treelines? Do I really need to stop today?" My aunt and uncle live in Bowie, MD where the young boy was shot last week. My uncle was taking his usual morning walk right in front on that middle school at 8 o'clock and the shooting occurred at 8:09 a.m. He finds himself wondering if he wasn't in the crosshairs. I must admit I'm not going out or shopping except necessarily and I have never loaded my groceries so fast as the other night. Several of the shooting victims are parents and I just get so sad for their families and think what if my dd had to go through life without one of her parents. Let's hope the police get a break soon. This is nuts.

Jen
mom to Meghan
born 7/13/01

jojo2324
10-15-2002, 09:27 PM
Ugh. Just reading what you are thinking and how this has affected you is making me weepy. I live on Long Island, nowhere near any of this, and tonight had to stop for gas along a highway and of course there was a white Chevy Astro van parked right there next to me. It completely freaked me out. Some older lady with frizzy hair and a sweatsuit was driving it, but still. It's definitely scary now, but the scariest thing is that some psycho could think it's fun to play copycat. That's what really worries me, that there are people out there like that. I'm just glad my ladies are safe...I'm thinking of you all!

suzska
10-15-2002, 11:35 PM
A good friend of DH's moved to DC a couple years ago and just bought a townhouse in Arlington. After I watched the news Monday (and I never watch the news) I couldn't stop worrying about her because I figured there was a very good chance that she was at the Home Depot since she just closed on the house October 1. We got an email from her Tuesday morning saying that she was at the Home Depot just 24 hours before the shooting happened. And she said she was parked in about the same spot. While that's all very scary, I was certainly glad to hear from her!

My ex-boyfriend/ex-fiance is from DC, so a lot of the place names are vaguely familiar to me. But Seven Corners really stood out because his ex-stepmother lived about a dozen blocks from there. Last I knew she had moved to Florida. But he and the rest of his family are still in the DC area as far as I know.

natividad
10-16-2002, 01:12 AM
I too thank you for thinking about us. DH and I have been living in Arlington, VA for 3 1/2 years now and we LOVE the area. Would not change a thing or move anywhere else. That said, I must say that it wasn't until monday night's shooting that I felt a bit of fear. The shopping center where the shooting took place is just a couple of miles from where we live and I know the area well as I shop there at times. I was at that Home Depot about ten days ago buying some mums as a matter of fact - parked right there where the latest victim got shot. The shopping center sits right on the border of Arlington and Falls Church (Fairfax Co.). For me, it is hard to say where Arlington ends and Falls Church begins for that matter. One street over and you are in Arlington.

I must admit that I felt a bit safer in Arlington than in the suburbs. Arlington is in reality a bedroom community for DC as we are the closest county to the city. It is a very small county (I think second smallest in the nation), with not too many open spaces, although parks and playgrounds are abundant. I thought that this criminal would have a harder time shooting someone in Arlington, just like in DC, but now...we just don't know. We are not paranoid, but definitely are taking some precautions now. Let's just pray this person gets caught soon.

Naty (March 03)

nitaghei
10-16-2002, 09:14 AM
Thanks for thinking about us! The situation's not very comforting - to say the least!! We live in College Park in MD. The Silver Spring and Bowie shootings are within a 5 mile radius. In fact, I had my amnio done really close to where some of the Silver Spring shootings were.
I was planning on hitting our local Home Depot this weekend - but I'm beginning to re-think that - it's right off I-495!
Nita
(expecting our first 01/03)

Rachels
10-16-2002, 01:42 PM
Just wanted to say that you've all been very much on my mind, too. I can't imagine the anxiety you must be feeling. I'm nervous, even, and I'm in Massachusetts! Please take good care.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

spu
10-16-2002, 02:51 PM
Please be careful everyone! You're all in my thoughts each day. It's such a terrible situation. I hope they catch the person/people soon!

Rachel - I'm in Mass too. Where are you from?

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else