PDA

View Full Version : SHANNON'S PREGNANT!

jojo2324
10-15-2002, 08:40 PM
Congratulations!! Saw this in your other post, but didn't want to celebrate there! I'm so happy for you! That didn't take too long ;) Must have been that lovely West Coast weather. Congrats and keep us posted, no-longer-overachiever. (Well, at least not in terms of babies :)

Sorry...am I totally stealing your thunder? I'm just so happy for you!

candybomiller
10-15-2002, 10:09 PM
Congratulations Shannon! I can't think of a better place for support and to have any sort of questions answered. I wish I would have known about this board when I was first pregnant!

****HUGS**** to you (and DH too, I guess <G>)

Candy
-SAHM to Matthew Nicholas, born 5/22/02

mamahill
10-15-2002, 11:26 PM
FANTASTIC! Congrats Shannon - best baby thoughts and wishes. Hope you had fun here in the Bay Area. Keep us posted. I'm so happy for you - hooray!

newbelly2002
10-16-2002, 03:22 AM
Shannon--

Congrats!! I'm just sorry that I'm gone from C'Ville when it's your time. I strongly recommend Martha Jefferson--they were so fantastic there (and between the gall bladder attacks, the delivery, and the GB removal, I certainly spent some time there). The classes are also really great, although you probably know your way around that sort of stuff.

keep us posted and enjoy!
Paula

PS Rapture on the downtown mall makes a GREAT virgin bloody mary--strongly recommend them!

sntm
10-17-2002, 07:13 AM
THANKS, everybody! Turns out we got pregnant our first month trying (thank you, TCOYF) and my first pregnancy test was just too early. Found out the day before I left for San Francisco (you should have seen me trying to avoid the massive quantities of alcohol that everyone was drinking since noone was on call!)

Has been a stressful two weeks, though, with some worrisome spotting. I was harrassing the OB on call this weekend. Feeling better now after quant beta-hcgs doubled in 36 hrs (yay!)

I'm so delighted to be on the boards "for real" now. We are telling family this Friday (since I will finally be off call and won't have to interrupt anyone to go in to see a patient.) Hoping Mom will be excited enough about 1st grandchild that I can score a Bugaboo (Chip has forbidden me from buying one, though we both like the Zippy, too.)

Y'all are the best! :+

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

sntm
10-17-2002, 07:15 AM
paula,
i've already got my MJH brochure. I'm on vacation in April and taking EVERY CLASS I can find! And we will definitely have to hit Rapture again -- I haven't been there in forever!

shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

cara1
10-17-2002, 08:05 AM
Congrats Shannon! Yes, welcome to the boards "for real!"

Have you thought up creative ways to tell the family? For my parents, we sat them down very seriously, and said, "We would like to know what you would like to be called, Grandma, Granny, Nana?" or something like that. For DH's parents, we sat them down, and played "Pomp and Circumstance." DH went on and on about what wonderful jobs they did in the roles of mother and father, and that they were therefore being promoted. We have it all on video. It was pretty funny. Someone else I know wrapped up a pacifier and gave it to his mom. Have fun with this, and good luck overall!

PS You'll soon realize that 4 years of med school plus residency don't help prepare you for what lies ahead, trust me! :)

jojo2324
10-17-2002, 08:09 AM
*Hoping Mom will be excited enough about 1st grandchild that I can score a Bugaboo*

That's the spirit! LOL

sntm
10-17-2002, 09:35 AM
unfortunately, has to be done by phone. and i have NO idea how to start. should we chit-chat first? scream into the phone "I'm Pregnant!"? tell them to sit down, we've got a surprise?

stressful!

shannon
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

mama2be
10-17-2002, 11:22 AM
Shannon...Congrats!!!!

I too had spotting att he beginning after a long car ride, they thought it was that so glad to hear that you BHCG was going up!!!! Keep us posted...

When we told my father my husband said called and said "Grandpa"????it took awhile for him to catch on :)

Shirale
10-17-2002, 08:38 PM
Congrats Shannon! I was so excited to see the great news!!!!

suzska
10-17-2002, 10:43 PM
Isn't it funny how we will tell complete "strangers" that we're pregnant before we tell our parents. Not that you guys are "strangers," but, you know. ;-)

I had already joined a Yahoo Group (started by a woman from the BabyCenter group for the month I was due) before we told my family. We go to my Mom's every Saturday for dinner, and I wanted to tell my parents and my brothers at the same time, but my older brother was out of town the first weekend after I took the pg test. So we waited until the next weekend when we were all together. Once everyone was at the dinner table, I made my little announcement. Something like, "well, it seems that I'm five weeks pregnant." I think my Mom was in shock since she thought we just weren't interested in having kids (we'd been married about 7.5 years). But really we were just waiting for my parents to move closer and for us to get settled into a house with a yard. :-) I think my Dad was more excited than my Mom and he just kept thanking us for making him a Grandfather or something.

Funny thing is I'm more concerned about how to break the news to them if there's a number 2! Think I'll let DH handled the next one. ;-)

Congrats, again!!! Now the fun really begins!!! :-) :-) :-)

kathsmom
10-18-2002, 12:01 AM
Shannon,

Congratulations! I am so excited for you! Please keep us posted on your pregnancy as it progresses.

I had to tell our family by phone too. With DD (who is now 6 years old), we just called our parents and told them that we had a surprise for them and then we said that we were pregnant. With DS, we told my father-in-law in person that we thought we were pregnant - I had taken the test, but had not been to the doctor yet for confirmation. We kind of had to go ahead and tell him, because we were visiting him and I was just so tired all the time and he had planned to take us to all these Mardi Gras parades (in Mobile, AL - not New Orleans - Mobile is the original home of the Mardi Gras in the USA). For my mom, we called her when we knew that she would be at my brother's home, so that they could all find out at the same time. We let DD break the news to Grandma that we were having a baby. Due to circumstances, we couldn't be too creative. My brother and SIL told my mom that they were pregnant by bringing some groceries over to cook dinner for her and they asked her to start unpacking the bag. In the bag, they placed a baby rattle for her to find. That's how she found out they were expecting.

Good luck with everything, and I hope you get the Bugaboo!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

newbelly2002
10-18-2002, 01:34 AM
Shannon,
We had to break the news over the phone too. I missed being able to see my dad's face, but here's what we did.

I had my sister buy the smallest onesie she could find and she added a lovely chenile blanket to wrap it in. Then she wrapped the whole thing up in Christmas paper (it was a few weeks before the holidays). We then called my mom and dad while my sister was home and asked them to unwrap the present while we were on the phone--saying it was an early holiday present. MY mom got it right away, with an earpiercing scream (this was the first grandchild, first great grandchild and on my DH's side also the first grandchild). My dad saw the blanket and said "you bought us a towel?"

However you tell them, they'll be thrilled. Congrats again.

Paula

Annette_C
10-18-2002, 09:08 PM
I'd like to add my "Congratulations!" also.
Although I'm fairly new to this board (which,BTW, I find it very informing and supportive), I feel like I know you all already!:)
Good luck with your pregnancy Shannon and enjoy every moment, good or bad as it may seem at the time, because this is the stuff memories are made of!

Annette :)
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

KimberleyDawn
10-21-2002, 08:25 AM
CONGRATS Shannnon!!!
Enjoy your pg time because it passes sooo fast (can't believe I'm already 24wks!):)!
Have a happy and healthy 9 months.
Kim