PDA

View Full Version : Casserole Shower

nigele
10-16-2002, 09:16 AM
I am giving a friend a "Casserole Shower" since she is having her second baby next month and will have her hands full. I have asked everybody to bring a casserole or other dish which she can pop into the freezer for use when her baby is born. I'm looking for recipes for freezer-to-oven meals. I would really appreciate it if anybody can give me some ideas!

nywifey
10-16-2002, 10:28 AM
Can't help you on the recipes (NYC is take out central :)) But just wanted to let you know that Value City has those disposable containers that you bake in and toss for $1.99 and $2.99! I forgot the name brand maybe Reynolds? Not sure, but it looked like an amazing value.

Hope that helps!

candybomiller
10-16-2002, 11:05 AM
I don't cook, so I don't have any recipes, but I just wanted to tell you that I thought this was a great idea. What a nice friend you are! Maybe you could do a lasagna?

Candy
-SAHM to Matthew Nicholas, born 5/22/02

natividad
10-16-2002, 01:19 PM
Yummy, that sounds like a great idea! I love to cook and often use recipes from several internet sources. Below are some of my favorite sites. Hope this helps.

Naty (March 03)

http://eat.epicurious.com/recipes/
http://www.foodtv.com/
http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/index.asp

Rachels
10-16-2002, 01:28 PM
I second the suggestion to check epicurious. In general, things like quiche and lasagne freeze well and are good postpartum foods (high in protein). Also, hearty soups and lentils are good choices. It's easy to find these recipes online. What a great idea!

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

cara1
10-17-2002, 08:10 AM
Also a lot of nice recipes here

http://www.campbellkitchen.com/index.asp
and anything with French's® Taste Toppers® French Fried Onions http://www.brandnamerecipe.com/Tango/FBNR/recipe.taf?function=detail&RecipeID=3359021060&Searchtype=recipelist&List=oFrenchsonion.htm

My personal favorite, and a big hit with DH and my brother:
Chicken Dijon & Pasta
Makes 6 servings
Ingredients
1 (3- to 4-pound) chicken, cut-up and skinned, if desired (I USE BREASTS CUT UP INTO BITE SIZE PIECES)
1/3 cup French's® Napa Valley Style Dijon Mustard (I USE GREY POUPON)
1/3 cup Italian salad dressing (I USE FAT FREE)
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup (I USE LOW FAT CREAM OF MUSHROOM)
4 cups hot cooked rotini pasta (8 ounces uncooked) (MORE FUN WITH BOWTIES)
1-1/3 cups French's® French Fried Onions, divided
1 cup diced tomatoes (FRESH GRAPE TOMATOES ARE FUN)
1 cup diced zucchini (I'VE USED BROCCOLI, BUT MY FAVORITE IS TO STIR IN SPINACH, EITHER FROZEN CHOPPED OR FRESH)
2 tablespoons minced parsley or basil leaves (optional)

Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time about 1 hour

Preheat oven to 400°F. Place chicken in shallow roasting pan. Mix mustard and dressing. Spoon half of mixture over chicken. Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes.

Combine soup, 1/2 cup water and remaining mustard mixture. Toss pasta with sauce, 2/3 cup French Fried Onions, vegetables and parsley. Spoon mixture around chicken. WITH GRAPE TOMATOES, I LINE THEM UP AROUND THE PERIMETER OF THE PAN WITH A FEW IN THE CENTER. LOOKS NICE.

Bake, uncovered, 15 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center. Sprinkle with remaining 2/3 cup onions. Bake 1 minute or until onions are golden. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmm.

kathsmom
10-18-2002, 12:12 AM
Hi, Nigele!

Check out Taste of Home cooking magazine. They sometimes have a section devoted just to freezer recipes. There isn't a section in the Oct/Nov 2002 issue, but some of the recipes they have in the issue may be freezable. I love this magazine, as well as their sister publication Quick Cooking. The recipes don't use exotic ingredients and most are fairly simple and straightforward. They don't have any ads in any of their magazines, which I think is great! The publisher usually has some recipes on their website, which is www.reimanpub.com.

I will look through my recipes when I get a chance and see if I can find some that will freeze.

Good luck and HTH,

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

nigele
10-18-2002, 03:39 PM
Thanks for all of your help - I will look into your suggestions.

daisymommy
10-19-2002, 09:02 AM
I would have loved for someone to do this for me! How thoughtful! Here is a link to the MAM site (make ahead meals). This link is for their recipe archives. I have tried several recipes and they turn out great!
http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-fancy_nancy/makeaheadmeals/index.html

HTH

betsyjaffe
10-19-2002, 11:26 AM
YOU ARE A GENIUS! I LOVE THIS IDEA!

There is a fabulous Freezer Meal/Cook in Advance Cookbook made by Cooking Light. It is very hard to find healthy, convenient casserole recipes but they always do a great job. I have never seen it in stores -- call their 800# and ask about it -- I know you won't be disappointed.

suzska
10-19-2002, 10:58 PM
Toni,

You and my mom should get together! LOL! Taste of Home is one of her favorite magazines, too. She's often trying new things out on us when we come over for Saturday dinner. ;-)

mama2be
10-20-2002, 08:11 AM
yummy...and super easy!!!

I was Northern gal and when I first had this in North Carolina I drooled!!!! I remembering from head but certain I can figure it out correctly...easy and freezes well...

2 Packs of Southern Style Hashbrowns
(you'll find these in the freezer section in bags-generic brand is fine)

1 Can of Cream of Mushroom soup
(generic brand fine)

1 Can of Cream of Chicken soup
(generic brand is fine)

1 container of sour cream
(check that expiration date)

1/2 of white onion cut up nicely
(onion to taste...more or less)

Shredded chedder cheese to taste

Butter/margerine cut into pats

Mix in a large bowl the hash browns, the soups from the can directly, the sour cream and the onion and a good portion of the amount of cheese that you want to use). In otherwords all of the ingrediants leaving some cheese out to sprinkle on top/and butter pats for the top. I guess you can sprinkle salt and pepper within or on top but I never have...

Place pats of butter on top, and sprinkle with cheese

Put this mush in a casserole pan (one of the rectangle ones is what I use)...

I have heard a neighbor say that she sprinkles the top with saltines, though I have never done that.

Bake for about an hour on 400-450...Check it at about 45-50 to make certain OK

When I make it we use it as a side dish, breakfast, dessert...everyone loves it!!!! Great breakfast meal!!!!

mama2be
10-20-2002, 08:22 AM
OHHHHH...the things you can do with this. You'll find some folks already know your secret...but most will think you are a cooking genious!!!!

I never entertain without these and folks love it...the recipes are on the back of the boxes!!!!

Cut up potatoes in chunks
Throw in some Olive Oil (enough to coat well)
Tear open an envelope of Lipton Onion Soup Mix
I will sometimes cut up some additional onion the long way for more texture...just a little

Stir this all up...it is best to stir this up in a ziploc bag...throw it in a pan bake in the oven for 50 minutes (I am guessing at 400)

Stir it about the 1/2 way point so all so as the center does not mush...

IHAVE NEVER FROZEN THIS AND MY GUT IS IS WON'T BE THE SAME IF YOU FREEZE...BUT EVERYONE LOVES THIS WHEN I MAKE IT...

I call this my secret "ol family Irish recipe"...:)

mama2be
10-20-2002, 08:27 AM
I serve this for even the most fancy of occasions...and few (maybe 1 out of 20 know the secret when they eat it)...

Vienetta Icecream in the icecream section...this is a log shaped icecream that has crunchies and sprinkles and is gorgeous...it comes in all kind of flavors and is sooooo inexpensive.

I get my pretties little dessert plates...I get raspberry jam/puree/jelly (which ever) I put some on a spoon and just kind of make a zig zag on my dessert plate with it (the odder the shape the more "fancy"...

I cut a thin slice of the Venietta and place it sideways on top (I angle it this way so you can see it's layers fromthe top)...

I swear the smaller the piece the more expensive it looks (just like the fancier restaurants)...folks oh and ah...super simple and super inexpensive...

You could use Caramel/chocoloate/melted mints...anything...soemone can give them this with the condiment...to round off the meal. Barely takes up any space in the freezer.

kathsmom
10-20-2002, 11:27 PM
Sue,

Tell your mom that great minds think alike and that I'll be over to have dinner with y'all on Saturday and she can let me be one of her guinea pigs!!

Neve,

Welcome to the South!! I LOVE hashbrown casserole! Thanks for the ideas about the onion soup mix and the dessert!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)