PDA

View Full Version : Foods that caused bf babies problems?

abigailsmom
10-20-2002, 10:26 PM
Hi ladies... I am finally getting a new-mom-friend... I've spent the first 2 months trying to explain mommy life to single or just married friends!! My frind is due the beginning of Jan and one of my gifts to her is a guide book based on my experiences (those things no one will tell you. i.e. bf hurts no matter what for a litlle while, hormone rollercoaster, etc.)! OK... I'll stop rambling and get to the point...
Have any of you ladies experienced particular foods that you babies couldn't deal with or caused them gas after you ate them... Abigails' problem is onions. If you can let me know that and any other fun tidbits for my friend, I'd appreciate it alot.
Thanks in advance...
Robyn
Abigail's Mom 8-14-02

Rachels
10-21-2002, 08:16 AM
My Abigail was sensitive to all the gassy foods at first-- garlic, onions, beans, broccoli, cabbage...also anything really acidic, like OJ and tomatoes. But be sure to put in your book that it's worth doing a food journal if you have a gassy baby. Just because something CAN cause problems doesn't mean it will. For a while, I was scared to eat much of anything, and the journal really helped us both.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Shirale
10-21-2002, 11:09 AM
Chocolate and any form of caffeine cause major gas problems, in addition to all the other regular gassy foods. Also- Milk produects are often known to cause tummy problems in new babies.

jojo2324
10-21-2002, 12:06 PM
I second the trouble with chocolate! Wah! I NEVER used to eat this much chocolate and then BOOM, got pregnant and I can't get enough. Of course, DS is now 4 months, so I can't use the craving excuse anymore. I am trying to curtail my intake, but it's so hard. But I am really going to make a valiant effort because I have noticed that while DS doesn't seem to be uncomfortable when I eat chocolate, I am uncomfortable with what it seems to do to his diapers :P Yech. Maybe the two aren't related (let's hope not!) but I think that they probably are.

I have also noticed that when I have milk (very infrequently, just with cereal) DS will develop a rash, like a ring around his anus, which indicates a food allergy. The same is true when he has had formula (also very infrequently, maybe 10 times since he was born). Many formulas have a cow milk base, which makes no sense to me since most babies do have a slight intolerance for milk and they recommend that babies under 12 months not drink it! Strange.

Sorry so long. Got caught up in my chocolate addiction story. :)

Shirale
10-21-2002, 01:52 PM
I noticed the same thing with my DD and milk and stopped eating/drinking milk for some time and when I gave her formula gave her similac lactose free- problem solved! She still takes that formula even though she eats yogurt/cheese (used to the taste I guess)and actually, that is basically all she eats! :-)

mamahill
10-21-2002, 02:04 PM
I second the tomatoes - bummer because we got several lasagnas. Also, I was drinking prune juice here and there to help with... you know ;). One day I drank a larger glass than normal and then forgot (milk brain, I suppose), so I drank another huge glass. Needless to say, I spent the afternoon in the bathroom and it seemed to have a similar effect on DD (poor thing). Wasn't a gas problem, per se, but a problem. She wasn't very happy. So I suppose "all things in moderation" is a good mantra...

DeborahM
10-28-2002, 10:53 PM
I've had to cut all all dairy products -- it gave my baby very painful gas/tummy aches. Bummer for me. Also, onions and garlic seem to give him gas, as well.

KathyO
10-28-2002, 11:13 PM
Don't want to bum you out, but the chocolate addiction may be in there for the long haul... my daughter is 18 months old and I still have Lindt 70% cocoa chocolate bars stashed in the back of my change table drawer where DH won't find and eat them, leaving me crawling the walls in search of my fix!

(Going the expensive-chocolate route HAS helped some - all I need is one square instead of a whole bar!)

K

jojo2324
10-29-2002, 12:02 AM
Well, with Halloween around the corner I went and bought about 46 pounds of M&Ms and Butterfingers. Of course, I failed to remember that we just moved to an area where we might get ONE trick-or-treater (as opposed to the hundreds at our previous home) so I am left to just stare at it, daring me...And I've given in! Ugh! No self-control at all. I don't know that expensive chocolate would help, I'm a pig.

mamahill
10-29-2002, 12:27 AM
LOL - reading all your posts about chocolate is like reading about myself. I studied abroad a semester in London my Junior year of college and gained 15 pounds (thank YOU Thornton's truffles). After coming home, I would only eat the expensive chocolate because it was so much smoother and richer. I agree that I didn't eat as much (but the fat content is double). Then I went on a health craze, got in shape, etc. and didn't really eat much chocolate. Once I got pregnant, though, it was like London all over again. I couldn't even wait to get home from the store with the chocolate bar - I ate it in the car (something I NEVER do). Oh woe. I continue to have chocolate "laying around" and a friend just came back from France with 72% dark chocolate for me. For Halloween I purposely bought sugary candy so I wouldn't be as tempted (note the "as"). Let's face it - I'm a sugarholic. grrr. just surrender. to the cupboard!

spu
11-01-2002, 12:30 PM
I second the chocolate fix. When I was pg with my twins, I vowed to eat a healthy diet ... then I was put on bedrest at 18 weeks. What? no chocolate or exercising? Well, I treated myself to a bag of lindt balls - I'd have one lindt ball a week and counted down the weeks until I was off bedrest and the babies came. Ahh, the power of chocolate!

My babies seem to get gassy alot too, and we attribute it to being an official part of my husband's family. Like father, like daughter! ;)

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte & else

abigailsmom
11-02-2002, 03:00 AM
Well I'm glad to see that i'm not the only one w/ the "like father, like daughter" problem... LOL