PDA

View Full Version : gifts for daycare providers

Hallie_D
10-29-2002, 02:15 PM
For those of you who have babies in day care, any thoughts on holiday gifts for the teachers? Are you giving a gift yourself or chipping in with other parents? Are you giving each teacher a gift or bringing in something for everyone to share (like cookies)? My ds is in Kindercare and has four main teachers but other staff often help out. I'd like to give each of the main teachers something nice. So far I've thought of mugs, candles, and picture frames, but I don't want to give the same thing as everybody else!

Your ideas will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Karenn
10-29-2002, 03:18 PM
I'm a former teacher, and one of the favorite gifts on our faculty was gift certificates. Even a little $5 coupon booklet from Starbucks was a treat. Other favorites were gift cards to:
*Barnes and Noble
*Borders
*Area Restaurants

Also, some parents would make a plate of cookies, bagels or other treats and leave them in the faculty room with a note saying something like "Thanks, from the Smith Family"

Karen

Momof3Labs
10-29-2002, 04:15 PM
My SIL also used to work in day care, and believe it or not, she enjoyed receiving the handmade gifts from her kids. Even just a handprint on a piece of paper, with the child's name and the child's scribbles. She's had to move around a lot (my brother is military) and appreciates these little reminders of the kids! Maybe combine that with a small gift certificate - that may be appreciated more than "another" mug, candle or picture frame (yes, she got a lot of these, and uses very few of them).

Sending a plate of goodies for everyone to share is also a good idea!

A lot of parents did nothing, so I think it's great that you are acknowledging the teachers' efforts!

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02

Hallie_D
10-29-2002, 04:34 PM
OH, thank you for the great suggestions! I think a combination gift might be just the ticket--maybe a handmade card with an outline of DS's hand and whatever scribbles he might make, plus a coupon book or gift certificate. And since I love to bake, I'll definitely make a plate of something for the entire staff to share.

Magda
10-31-2002, 11:05 AM
As a former daycare teacher, I'd have to say that the most important thing is just to do something that recognizes the teacher if you appreciate what she does. You would not believe how much extra work some teachers do and how often some parents have so clue. I took care of these two kids for 1 1/2 years and I saw them at the gym one time and said hello. Their father asked quickly how I knew them as though I was some sort of stalker. He didn't even recognize me.

My favorite gifts were the ones that I knew the kids had picked out themselves.

Elaine

KM
11-03-2002, 12:59 PM
This is a GREAT question...I'd love to see more suggestions.

Last year we got the daycare teachers each a $25 gift certificate to the local mall...can be used at any store or one of the restaurants. Also bought a book of starbucks coupons for the woman at the front desk, as we often see her with coffee.

In addition, everyone got a personalized card from our baby, thanking them for all their hard work. We tried to mention something unique about that teacher that was special and showed we noticed their efforts.

We will still do the cards this year,as they truly seemed special, but not sure about the gift. I'd like to do something different but still useful. In addition, as the kids get older we feel obliged to include more teachers on our holiday list...up to at least 6 or 8 now, and things can get expesive! I thought of baking an assortment of holiday cookies to divide among them. At one time, I even considered making a holiday cookie tray for each of them (wooden trays at Micheal's were about $3, i think) and maybe making a 'hand print' christmas tree on them...but i think those plans our too ambitious now (plus the toddler's hands are a little big...might work for an infant)

Please post any ideas (especially you former daycare teachers!!) We want to do something for you, we just dont know what.

I like the idea of a group gift, but don't know many of the other parents (someone said they did a tshirt with all the kids handprints and names plus a nice gift certificate...that sounded like a nice idea)

Karenn
11-04-2002, 11:26 AM
I was just looking through my jewelry box and thought of another favorite gift: Pins, earrings and necklaces. I still wear jewelry that I received from students years ago. It's especially fun with older children because they often recognize the piece that they gave me and get excited every time that I wear it.

Karen

daisymommy
11-04-2002, 01:16 PM
One of my favorites over the years was always something form Bath and Body Works. A hot bubble bath followed by some good smelling lotion or body spray always took the edge off a long day with 12 4-year olds!