PDA

View Full Version : Weaning Q- Help!

Shirale
10-30-2002, 10:36 AM
Hi,
I didn't know which board to post this under so here we are....did any of you Mom's when your baby was weaned feel horribly sick...? I am 3x as exhausted as I ever have been (including when I was preg) and feel weepy and sad, esp at night. Also everything just hurts. Could be the flu- but doens't feel like it. I am not really engorged, I weaned her pretty slowly (she was biting and I planned to wean her at a year so I started dropping feedings slowly) and then on sunday I nursed her at night before bed and she just wasn't interested, I guess I didn't have enough milk? Anyhow- any of you have any experiance when it comes to this? I thought I would be so happy to get my body back, not have to wake up so often at night- but I am sad...TIA

babe1201
10-30-2002, 03:19 PM
Shira, your question is one of the reasons I am still nursing at 10 months....lots of women develop a bit of postpartum depression when they wean because of the loss of the "good hormones" that come with nursing. Please try to take extra-good care of yourself. Plan pleasant activities for yourself both with and without the baby. Try to get out with DH. Indulge in a little pampering. Get extra rest if you can. Stay in contact with everyone who is supportive to you. Buy some pretty lingerie for when your breasts return to their "normal" size. And don't feel alone. What's happening to you is pretty common.

HTH,
Helene
first-time mom to Joseph (12/29/01)
also a "shrink"
still nursing!

egoldber
10-30-2002, 03:53 PM
I am still conflicted almost a year later about weaning, so it is only to be expected that you would feel a little depressed! In addition to the hormomal changes, this is the end of a special relationship that you have had with your daughter. I would certainly take a little time to mourn. I found that what really helped me was to find new ways to bond and share time with DD in place of nursing. At the times we used to nurse, I found that reading a book and cuddling helped me to not feel so "empty" during those times.

HTH,

babe1201
10-30-2002, 05:10 PM
What great ideas! I will use those myself!

Shirale
10-31-2002, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the tips- good to know I am not alone. Just one more Q- are the hormone changes to strong that I would actually feel sick (tired and achy??) it is much better today (the exhastion) despite being up 1/2 the night with Amira...I never thought I would feel so sad about this. Good idea to use the time to cuddle. I have been holding her to give her her bottles as much as possible in the AM and PM, but she is more interested in playing than cuddling!

babe1201
10-31-2002, 11:50 AM
I think the tiredness and achiness can be associated with the hormonal changes and the sadness you're feeling. If it persists for more than a week, you might want to just check with your doc to make sure it's not a flu or anything like that.

I gave DS his first bottle of formula this morning. Like you and Amira, he seems to care about all of this a lot less than I do! I'm planning to continue bedtime nursing for awhile, but I don't think it will last long. SIGH.......

Let's keep talking about this. Good luck to you.

Shirale
11-01-2002, 01:55 PM
Thanks for the support!! I am starting to feel better...not as achy or tired yesterday or today. Probably was hormonal...I am still feeling somewhat sad as I had *planned* to keep nursing at night and in the AM for a couple of months at least. Amira wasn't really interested in working for the milk, i suppose, and doesn't seem to miss it at all. I have been cuddling her with every bottle, she doesn't like to drink with her meals (small tummy) but I still miss the idea of continuing to provide for her from my body...don't know if I even have any milk left! Before I got preg I never knew how difficult nursing could be and until now I never realized that weaning could be so hard...wow. Anyhow- thanks for all your help guys!!