PDA

View Full Version : Are Ebay products legit?

dood56
10-30-2002, 01:31 PM
I am about to be a first time dad and am feeling overwhelmed with all of the information I have to sift through. I was on ebay and saw that they had a baby section and I checked it out. They had some amazing deals and wanted to know if the products are legitimate. Do they fall under warrenty if something happens? Are they as good of quality as I will find in stores? I realize this is extremely broad, but if people could give me something to go off of, it would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to sacrifice the safety of my baby by saving a couple of dollars.
Thank you,
Worried father-to-be

Momof3Labs
10-30-2002, 01:49 PM
Boy, it really depends...

You have to watch the sellers' feedback, and if they don't give enough information in the auction description, ask BEFORE bidding. Whether you get the warranty falls in this category. Most of the items are identical to what you will find in the store; whether it is new or used depends on the seller (again, ask if they don't tell you). It is worth verifying that the item hasn't been recalled before bidding. Also, know what the seller's return policy is - a lot of eBay items are final sale.

Also, consider the additional cost of shipping (sometimes it isn't cheaper once you factor this in) and check some of the better baby sites (www.babycatalog.com and www.babycenter.com are two of my favorites) before buying - you may find it cheaper to buy from an online retailer (where you get the full warranty and return privelages) than on eBay.

But yes, there are a lot of fantastic deals on baby gear on eBay! You just have to be smart about it!

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02

egoldber
10-30-2002, 05:15 PM
I absolutely agree with the above. I have bought a few things off eBay and have always been happy, but I have also heard some horror stories. You have very little recourse if a seller does a bait and switch or the item is not as represented. But most eBay sellers are legit. In fact, many brick and mortar stores use eBay as their "on-line store" rather than go to the trouble and expense of setting up their own site.

I always check online before buying an item off of eBay. If an item is only a few dollars more expensive at a "regular" on-line place or in a retail store, I will usually not do eBay. Many times I have seen items (not necessarily baby things) going for MORE on eBay than in retail stores. It is important to do your homework and keep your head and not get all excited about bidding. Just remember that the same or similar item WILL come up again.

I actually haven't bought any baby things off eBay, but we have bought a LOT of camera equipment from eBay. When an item has been discontinued, eBay is often the ONLY place you are likely to find something.

HTH,

mama2be
10-31-2002, 09:59 AM
Dood56,

Ahhh be careful it can addicting. We use Ebay a lot and even sell things occassionally. We always check the feed back from the seller...always...

WE really have never had any problem. Since you are new to it just want to let you know some folks have a "store" if you click on that icon you have access to some other stuff that they sell (usually similiar to what you are looking for).

I can honestly say I have never gotten a super dooper steal on Ebay, but have jumped for joy when my college (an old women's college) has old items that are on it :)

Be careful because you might look at something at the beginning of the bid process that looks like a great price, but it goes up quickly. My DH falls into that rap "Oh look honey a leather motorcycle jacket for $1"...well in a few days it is up in the $300 range. He has a wishful thinking thing going on I uspect....:)

Good luck!!!

dood56
10-31-2002, 11:01 AM
I apologize for the confusion, but I understnad how Ebay works and the importance of checking the seller's feedback. I was more curious about stories of either good or bad baby products received and potential problems associated with them.
Worried father to be

egoldber
10-31-2002, 01:21 PM
What are you looking at specifically? The only thing I would absolutely avoid are carseats. New in box ones are probably OK, but with a used one, you could never be sure of the accident history.