PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody dealt with thrush?

Rachels
11-02-2002, 10:57 PM
Abigail has it and her mouth clearly hurts. I'm breastfeeding, so I'm not exactly pain-free myself. We have been trying Nystatin, but I don't think it's doing much. Meanwhile, Abby seems to be nursing less and is much fussier. She is also teething, so it's hard to know what exactly is bothering her, but when she nurses, she yanks away violently and then starts to cry. Also, I can see a lot of the thrush on her cheeks and lip. Has anybody dealt with this? What can I do to help her?

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KathyO
11-03-2002, 12:11 AM
You have all my sympathy. I haven't been through that, but two good friends have, and it's awful to be sure.

Keep after your doctor. There are a range of remedies to try, and if one is not working, go back and insist on trying out another. One friend ran through the whole course of everything, had no luck, and ended up being given an oral, systemic anti-fungal (the baby got one too). It didn't work the first time around, but the second, larger dose did. Everybody's fine now, and her son is a healthy, active, curious boy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if what they're giving you isn't working in the timeframe promised, don't wait around and suffer together. Go back and ask for something else, until you get something that works.

Very best wishes,

KathyO

muskiesusan
11-03-2002, 11:26 AM
We battled thrush here for a three months, so I know what you are going through. The nystatin did nothing for us, and after doing some research discovered it wasn't that uncommon for that treatment to fail. We ended up taking several courses of diflucan. Ds and I both were taking it, but I know that some doctors are reluctant to use diflucan as treatment without being on the nystatin for a while. I recommend you do your own research and be persistant with your doctor. There is a lot of information on the web about it and various treatments to try (I have heard that Gentian Violet is a good non-medical treatment). Unfortunately, I wish I would have read up it sooner and been more persistant about other treatments early on, and perhaps that would have save us some pain, but we were battling it soon after my c-section and I wasn't in a normal state of mind! Hope you find relief soon.
Susan

nohomama
11-03-2002, 01:20 PM
Have you tried gentian violet? It stains and is messy, but nearly always works. If you're interested in giving it a try, look for it in your local pharmacy. Below is a link to an article on gentian violet posted on Breastfeeding Online, as well as a link to general information on it from Medlineplus.

http://users.erols.com/cindyrn/6.htm
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/gentianviolettopical202259.html

Good luck! I hope you find a remedy soon.

nigele
11-03-2002, 05:21 PM
I am not trying to offend anyone who already posted but wanted to let you know that my DS's ped, who is Board Certified in Pediatric Oncology, informed me that gentian violet is carcinogenic. Please check with your ped before using it!

Lisa

nohomama
11-03-2002, 10:06 PM
I would always encourage checking with your doctor/pediatrician before using ANY medication and encourage everyone to do thier own research as well. One of the links I included in my post is an article written by a pediatrician and the other lists contraindications and possible side effects that can occur while using gentian violet. Also, gentian violet is a remedy that has been recommended to me and others I know by many health care professionals...M.D.s, nurse practioners, midwives, & lactaction cunsultants.

Again, I hope you find a remedy that works AND that your comfortable using soon! Take care.

Rachels
11-04-2002, 10:35 AM
This is so frustrating! We are in NC visiting my mom, but our ped is in Boston. I talked to her this morning, and she wants to try Abby on Diflucan. She can't call it in from out of state, though, and I'm having a hard time convincing the IN-state doctor I know to call it in for me. So there's something that might work, but we can't get access to it! None of you are North Carolina doctors, by any chance, are you?

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
11-04-2002, 10:45 AM
What area of North Carolina are you visiting? I know an Urgent Care that is very helpful - they actually helped me in a similar situation.

Lisa

egoldber
11-04-2002, 11:56 AM
If your doctor in Boston calls it in to a national chain pharmacy (like CVS or Walgreens) they should be able to transfer the prescription from a pharmacy in MA to a pharmacy in NC. My DH has had his migraine medication filled in California before even though it was a Virginia pharmacy. The CA CVS just called the pharmacy here and it was no problem. My FIL is a pharmacist and he says this happens all the time and is no big deal. Just make sure you try to fill the scrip during hours when your home pharmacy is open, so that if the pharmacy in NC needs to call the MA pharmacy, they are open. You may or may not also need the prescription number, but you can call your home pharmacy and get that info.

HTH,

Rachels
11-04-2002, 01:09 PM
Good idea! My backup plan has been to have my husband (who is still in Boston) FedEx it to me. Yikes.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02