PDA

View Full Version : White noise CD?

Rachels
11-05-2002, 08:36 PM
I have noticed that Abigail seems to take better naps when it's raining or when we're in a restaurant with sort of a low conversational roar in the background. We've been using a fan for white noise, but it doesn't seem to work as well. Does anybody know of a CD that I could play continually that has rain sounds or waterfalls or something? It would need not to have long pauses or loud changes in sounds, as both those things seem to wake her up, but I'd love to have something I can just leave playing while she sleeps. We have some white noise things that she likes, but they either run on batteries (and thus run out) or they only run for 15 minutes.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
11-05-2002, 10:14 PM
Rachel,

I am in search of the same thing! DS is soothed by the sound of the shower running so I wanted to find a CD with a similar noise. I am hoping to find something this week and will let you know what I find unless somebody else can recommend something here.

Lisa
Mommy to Tommy
7/2/02

nigele
11-05-2002, 10:21 PM
Rachel,

I found one online that looks great:

http://www.purewhitenoise.com/whitenoisecd.html#rain (scroll down to "Restful Rain"

Here is a description:

Restful Rain - One of our most beautiful and effective CDs for sleep and relaxation. A very relaxing and soothing CD to melt away your stressful day and help you relax and get to sleep. Listen to the sound of the gentle rain mixed with the right amount of pure white noise for a truly tranquil experience.

Soothes babies and helps ease colic symptoms. Babies settle down and relax with the Rain CD. Great stress reducer for Mom and Dad, too.

The perfect non-drug sleep aid to help you relax and fall asleep. Put on "Restful Rain" at bedtime and drift off to a very peaceful and relaxing place to alleviate insomnia and sleeplessness.

Lisa
Mommy to Tommy
7/2/02

Momof3Labs
11-05-2002, 11:59 PM
The Homedics white noise machine at Target runs $12.99 and has an AC adaptor. Ours runs for up to an hour on a timer, or you can choose not to set a timer.

Alternatively, you could set a radio in between channels (so it is staticky) and let that run while she sleeps.

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02

daisymommy
11-06-2002, 01:24 PM
Heres the CD that I play to put Josh to sleep. You could play it on a continous loop:
http://www.transitionsmusic.com/t1.htm
It is womb sounds with a lullaby in the background. It puts me to sleep right along with him!

mamahill
11-06-2002, 04:23 PM
I have this and LOVE it. Well, Ainsleigh loves it - so that means I love it. It has 6 sounds - rain, brook, waterfall, ocean, crickets, heartbeat. At night we put on the timer for 30 mins to help her fall asleep, but during the day sometimes I have it run her entire nap so the doorbell, washing machine, gardners, etc., don't wake her up. Good luck!

suzska
11-06-2002, 08:40 PM
I was just going to recommend this. I have one and use it for myself. I couldn't sleep without it. I keep thinking about getting one for Evan's room, but haven't done it yet. He likes to come into our room and push the buttons on mine. :-)

lesliepear
11-11-2002, 01:35 PM
We have an air purifer that runs in our bedroom - produces white noise but also helps the bedroom air quality.

akc
11-18-2002, 07:58 PM
Hi Rachel -

Oops! Just posted this to your other post, but here goes. We have a white noise machine that we LOVE! It is called Nature's Soothing Sounds and is made by Ontel Corp (which is the company that owns all of those "As Shown on TV" products). I got it at BabiesRus for $24 (but I don't think they sell it anymore) and what is key is that it is digital sounds, so it uses 4 AA batteries and they have now lasted for 4+ months. You can also order an AC adaptor for $9 from the company.

It can play either for 30 minutes on a timer or keep going indefinitely (what we do - man, that thing is on all day and all night and makes me sleepy when I'm in her room ;-). It's about 4 inches and round and has a choice of 7 sounds: a tranquil babbling brook, a lulling seashore, a serene rainforest, the woods, a mother's steadfast heartbeat, or the comforting hush of white noise (these are their words, not mine!) We use the steady white noise b/c even the lulls in the waves were not continuous enough to create a steady, comfy environment.

We love it - and even travel with it, b/c it's so light and round. Better than toting a CD player or, worse, a crib-attached CD player that just eats batteries. Here's a link to a site that sells it and have handily included the ac adaptor for you:
http://www.stressdynamics.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/store/scpages/reducer1.htm?E+scstore

I highly, highly recommend it and it is cheap! Best of luck! :)

Alexa

akc
11-18-2002, 09:11 PM
Hi again -

I guess it also goes without saying that you can recreate white noise with any manner of things: a radio set to static, a fan,a humidifier. This little machine was so cheap we went with it, but you could use a home-grown recipe!

Alexa