PDA

View Full Version : I wish someone would invent...

Rachels
11-07-2002, 10:51 AM
I'm starting a list of products I wish I had! I'm sure I'll think of more and add them later, but in the meantime, add on!

- Some kind of device that would gently rock my baby's cradle so that I can take a break when my arm starts to feel like it will fall off

- A hot water bottle where the water filled up some kind of coils or chambers rather than just a big empty bag, thus enabling the bottle to be relatively flat even with water in it (We now just microwave a wet cloth diaper in a ziploc bag and use that.)

- 5-point harnesses that have the option to unsnap at the top as well as the crotch, so that I don't have to wrestle my sleeping baby's arms out of the straps

- Something that would help my daughter keep a grip on her pacifier that would also somehow magically be safe

- Breastpumps that work faster and feel better and get more milk

- Some kind of indicator on a diaper pail that would let you know how full it is BEFORE you suddenly can't fit another diaper into it at three in the morning on a cold night

- Airline luggage carts specifically designed for people traveling with babies, including things like seats for babies to ride in

- Elevators in shopping malls that are actually quiet, so that the bell dinging at each floor or the doors rumbling open don't wake up my suddenly-and-miraculously sleeping baby

- Safe high chairs in restaurants

- A little video monitor that would allow me to play Baby Mozart for my rear-facing baby during those truly desperate moments in the car (which usually also involve rain or heavy traffic)

- Something that would heat a bottle in under a minute without overheating it

...I know there are more. I forget what else I was thinking of, but I'll post back whenever my tired brain remembers. Meanwhile, what are you lusting after that doesn't exist? :)

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
11-07-2002, 11:11 AM
Here are a couple of additions to your list:

- A crib rail that actually rises without waking the baby who just fell asleep after an hour and a half of being rocked.

- A baby monitor with no interference.

- A universal remote control to restart any electronic toy.

- A device thats prevents phones and doorbells from ringing when there is a sleeping baby in the house!

jojo2324
11-07-2002, 11:34 AM
This is one I've been grappling with:

-An EFFECTIVE diaper cream that you can spray on! Maybe I'm really OCD or something, but I always get cream under my nails and even if I scrub with a nail brush I can still see some white stuff there and then all day long I'm washing my hands just thinking about where they've been....

Do they make one?

all4sanity
11-07-2002, 11:39 AM
What about a baby consultant like a bridal consultant service. She tells you everything you need for the baby THAT IS REALLY USEFUL! She goes to register for you when you can't waddle around the store and then waits for the furniture to be delivered in your home. Then even assembles the room and puts everything in it's place! :)

Wouldn't that be wonderful!!!

Marie

Hallie_D
11-07-2002, 02:55 PM
For those moms who are working and pumping, how about a hands-free pumping system (don't ask me how this would work...a special stand for the shield and a "breast rest"?) so that you could work during your pumping session and save one of your breaks for a walk? I have an extremely understanding boss but I still rarely get to leave my office since I pump in the morning, during lunch, and in the afternoon. At least I'm lucky enough to have an office with a door I can close! :-)

mamahill
11-07-2002, 03:10 PM
This aren't so much inventions as a wishes...

A super seamstress to come in and alter all my pre-pregnancy clothes so they will fit right.

A computer read-out telling you why your oh-so-precious baby is crying/yelling at you.

A personal chef to cook healthy and appetizing meals so you remember to eat and have the energy to deal with your oh-so-precious baby who is crying/yelling at you.

I suppose if I had money to burn, I could buy two out of those three. Ah well, but then what would I have to complain about?!

nigele
11-07-2002, 04:28 PM
I have another...

- A husband who can breastfeed!!!

nigele
11-07-2002, 04:29 PM
Joanne,

I use Q-Tips to apply diaper rash cream. I couldn't stand the cream under my nails either - yuck!

Hallie_D
11-07-2002, 05:16 PM
Forget the seamstress to alter your clothes--someone should invent a machine to put your tummy and hips back where they belong right after you give birth--pain and sweat free, of course!

myllam
11-07-2002, 06:19 PM
Something like this?

http://www.breastfeed-essentials.com/pumpingfree.html

The picture was a little too much for me, but then I share
an office with 4 people so it made me laugh at the image :-)

I pumped for 6 months full time, so I did find the handsfree kit very useful at home when I wanted to read a book or something while pumping. This is assuming you have a medela pump in style and its advertised to only work with Medela bras.

Also, someone in a previous post a while ago mentioned using rubber bands with regular maternity bras and somehow getting that to work.

Monica
mom to 15 month old Brian.

JMarie
11-07-2002, 06:20 PM
Two words - surgical gloves! Don't laugh - that is actually my plan. My littlest sister (age 16 now) had HORRIBLE diaper rash that would bleed because of a severe allergy to both milk and soy formulas, and my mother had us use surgical gloves when changing her to avoid any further infection. Just be sure to find the non-latex kind, just in case there's a latex allergy. Then just slap 'em on, clean him up, and toss 'em with the diaper.

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

22tango
11-07-2002, 10:12 PM
YES!!! I'd love one of those!! lol!

mamahill
11-07-2002, 11:28 PM
of COURSE! and while this machine is at it, reinstate the muscle I had pre-pregnancy (where did it all go? hello flab). LOL

jojo2324
11-07-2002, 11:56 PM
That would be the absolute best! Isn't there some Japanese product, a pair of breasts that men can wear and feed with? I know that there's an "empathy sack" a big ol' 35 lb stomach men can walk around with to get the gist of being pregnant.

http://www.btio.com/cms.asp?SID=38

Whoa! Check this out! Do you believe it? I'll give it a shot...Now DH for that matter...;)

http://www.unassistedchildbirth.com/milkmen.htm

twins r fun
11-08-2002, 01:03 AM
Oh my God!! Who knew? A well kept male secret-they're not as stupid as we think.

Nicole

nigele
11-08-2002, 11:33 AM
Then again, do we really want our babies to get all that hair in their mouths? Yuck! ;-)

suzska
11-08-2002, 03:11 PM
I use a tissue. Squirt the cream on his tushy, and then use the tissue to spread it around. I also can't stand the cream under my nails (think I'm a little OCD, too!).

Edited to add that I read JMarie's post--I use to use surgical gloves in the beginning, too! Until I got use to the idea of changing poopy diapers. I only put one on the hand that was doing the changing (not the hand holding his legs). And if it was just a wet diaper, I would just take the glove off, set it aside, and reuse it the next time (or two or three). They can get expensive if you use a new pair each time. I wasn't doing it to prevent infection, so I wasn't concerned with using a new one each time. It was more so that I didn't have to keep washing my hands each time--they were getting rough and dry. (See above about being a little OCD.)

Rachels
11-08-2002, 03:44 PM
And what about a fool-proof, 100% successful sleep-training protocol that didn't require you to leave your lovebug to cry it out?

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

rebekah
11-08-2002, 05:26 PM
I second that!!!

SAHM to Madison 8/31/02

luvbeinmama
11-10-2002, 07:31 PM
Another suggestion for applying creams... When I make my really thick cream, I use a small makeup spatula to apply it (available at local beauty supply stores in pkgs of 25). Great for really thick applications. :)

daisymommy
11-10-2002, 08:09 PM
OH MY GOSH!!! So you'd like this idea? Guess what? This is what I'm planning on doing when Josh is a little older! I loved all the planning and shopping and decorating in preparation for Josh, and would love to do it more often (without having to actually have a baby every time!). I'm already writing down my ideas of what I'll include in my service, such as:
*Questionairre as to the parents styles and tastes
*Small to large jobs such as registering with/for a person to full scale shopping, nursery design and setup, etc.
If you have any other ideas as to what you all would want in a "Baby Consultant" service, and ideas on how to go about preparing and educating myself (besides reading every new version of Baby Bargains from cover to cover!) I'd love to hear from you. Either post or email me.
So, theres one thing you "wish that existed" that someday hopefully will...only 999 more to go!
TIA,

daisymommy
11-10-2002, 08:15 PM
Okay, when I first read your post I laughed. But then after reading the stories on that site of men who "really"? did this...GROSS :*

Hallie_D
11-11-2002, 11:08 AM
Who knew? Well, I guess you did! :-) That looks pretty cool but I'm not sure it will work for me because I am, shall we say, very well endowed. That poses two problems: one, I have to use the larger breast shield with the pump, which is two pieces that slide together--so if I put rubber bands around the shield but don't hold the part that attaches to the bottle, it may fall apart. Two, bras in my size leave a whole lot to be desired...namely, enough support when they are unhooked for nursing. For me, pumping is a two-handed activity--and forget double-pumping, it is impossible (or at least, I haven't figured out a way to do it).

However, I plan to try the rubber-band method today just in case it works!!!

Thanks!

lesliepear
11-11-2002, 01:29 PM
>Who knew? Well, I guess you did! :-) That looks pretty cool
>but I'm not sure it will work for me because I am, shall we
>say, very well endowed. That poses two problems: one, I have
>to use the larger breast shield with the pump, which is two
>pieces that slide together--so if I put rubber bands around
>the shield but don't hold the part that attaches to the
>bottle, it may fall apart. Two, bras in my size leave a
>whole lot to be desired...namely, enough support when they
>are unhooked for nursing. For me, pumping is a two-handed
>activity--and forget double-pumping, it is impossible (or at
>least, I haven't figured out a way to do it).
>
>However, I plan to try the rubber-band method today just in
>case it works!!!
>
>Thanks!

Try this:
http://www.easyexpressionproducts.com/

lesliepear
11-11-2002, 01:31 PM
I like the universal car seat carrier that holds the car seat in what looks like a stroller with the seat missing. Why not invent something like that but with a seat that can be put in when the carrier is no longer needed - it would be less bulky than a travel system where the carrier is plopped on top of the stroller.

Hallie_D
11-11-2002, 06:15 PM
All I can say is...WOW!

Thanks!

jojo2324
11-14-2002, 01:37 PM
LOL I love how the women in those ads look so serene and not at all harried, their papers neatly stacked and unrumpled and clean!

I thought of something else yesterday while I was struggling to change DS's diaper while out shopping. I had to do it in the stroller, as the bathroom did not have a koala care station and my car was loaded up with stuff. (Not that it's easy to change diapers in my car anyway.) It worked okay, but what if somebody came up with some sort of cot or canopy that attached to the stroller frame somehow, providing a flat surface? But then you could fold it up pretty compactly and just store it in your diaper bag. I wish I could draw a picture because I'm horrible at explaining things!

luvbeinmama
11-18-2002, 01:18 AM
Just had to add what I've been dreaming of lately...

A place to put her down (asleep or awake) that is:
1) snuggly around her
2) rocks like me
3) portable
4) toddler-proof!! (I'm constantly pulling DS away from DD when she's awake and not in someone's arms!!)

I know... Dream on!!! :) :) :)

Rachels
11-18-2002, 10:11 AM
And a last-minute child-care service that would send someone gentle and extremely qualified to your home to help when you're sick! Preferably this would be a grandmother of some sort, or maybe a college student majoring in early childhood education.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02