PDA

View Full Version : Baby Faire Review (Chicago)

Caroline99
11-11-2002, 12:19 AM
My husband and I went to this today in Chicago. I think the economy must have affected baby tradeshows as well because I was severely disappointed in the Baby Faire. The "big" baby manufacturers were there -- Cosco, Century, Combi, Evenflo, and Graco -- but I only saw a few booths featuring smaller manufacturers -- Bellini and McLaren strollers, Dutailer rocker-gliders, and Baby Trend.

The products showcased included travel systems, strollers, car seats, playpens, high chairs, and some smaller general products. I was disappointed not to see any crib or casepiece manufacturers or products there.

I was impressed with the product knowledge of the McLaren rep and the Graco carseat rep, but the Evenflo rep was not able to tell me anything about the Evenflo Triumph I was interested in. Didn't seem like a really good way to promote your product line!

All in all, I would not recommend going to these events. It really was just like a bridal faire -- put your name and address on mailing lists everywhere. It was sponsored by BRU and most of the merchandise there is available at the store. Why pay $21 for the privilege of shopping at BRU? After an hour on the floor, we had circled the booths twice and talked to every manufacturer whose products we were interested in.

Momof3Labs
11-12-2002, 01:21 AM
Interesting... well, I'm glad that we didn't try to drag ourselves down there this past weekend! Did you at least get a lot of samples??

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02

Caroline99
11-12-2002, 11:08 AM
No. I thought that at least we'd get a lot of coupons, etc. Not the case. The bags we got had 3 and we visited most of the booths.

Momof3Labs
11-12-2002, 12:24 PM
Wow - how disappointing!! :-(

JMarie
11-12-2002, 07:53 PM
I also attended this fair on Sunday, and was a little more impressed this year than last year - but it still wasn't great. I was a little disappointed Peg Perego and Chicco were not there this year, but very happy that the Dr. Brown's booth was giving away the full 9-oz wide-mouth bottles. At least if I need to try them, I won't have shelled out the money! The Gerber and Playtex booths had lines that wrapped half-way around the auditorium and their samples were not great (Gerber gave away a 4-oz wide-mounth bottle and a Nuk pacifier and Playtex gave a standard 4-oz disposable), so that was rather annoying, and I do agree that the representatives from some of the manufacturers could have been a little more knowledgeable about their products. Overall, I was still disappointed, but it was nice to get out with DH and have him be just as excited as I am about getting ready for Aidan's arrival.

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

joestein
11-19-2002, 03:04 PM
We went to the one in NJ at the Raritan Convention Center. The only thing good about the show was that MacLaren was selling their strollers at wholesale. The Twin Traveler was selling for $234!!!!!.

Now that is worth admission.

Caroline99
11-19-2002, 09:43 PM
Yeah, Maclaren was selling the Techno LT for 1/2 price, but since we had never seen the thing, we weren't prepared to make a decision there and then.