PDA

View Full Version : Baby-Wise... Sleep solution that's working for me...

abigailsmom
11-13-2002, 12:28 AM
I'm writing this as a first time Mom and that may mean I haven't been through all the phase of getting DD to sleep, but "Baby Wise" has helped us. Abigail is 13 weeks old and has been sleeping at least 6 hrs a night since about 9 weeks. Every now and then she sleeps 8 or 9 (Thank God!) I've been wondering if I just lucked out or if the book really helped us. We followed the book closely, but not exactly.

If any of you ladies have used it or heard of it I'd like to know your opinion... I have a DF who is due in Jan and I wondered if I should recomend it...

Robyn
Abigail Marie's mom 8/14/02

mama2be
11-13-2002, 11:38 AM
I have two neighbors who have sworn by this book...there have been recent topics about it on the board, in fact I think I asked about it once...

I have yet to purchase a book...and will...but there is also recommended the Baby Whisperer, and something like The happiest baby on the block...

Fols seemed pretty opinionated about the authors of Baby Wise, it's interesting...

I look forward to peoples post on the subject...Oh I hope my baby will sleep thru the night...

Melanie
11-14-2002, 11:37 AM
I would not recommend it for many reasons...however you may just want to read this:

http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/9108.html

Mommy to Jonah

blnony
11-14-2002, 01:12 PM
I have Secrets of the Baby Whisperer and love it. It is somewhat similar to Babywise. (my friend has it) DD is 12 weeks and has been sleeping 6 to 7 hours since we started on this rountine. Even DH has read it and likes it. Just another suggestion for folks.

Steph_Phan
11-14-2002, 02:24 PM
Any suggestion would be very helpful. My DS is 5 month old and still doesn't sleep through the night. He is not much of a sleeper during the day either. He is BF and takes EBM from the bottle when I am at work (3days/week). I just started him on solid food (cereal and Gerber 1st food) a couple of weeks ago, hoping that he would sleep longer if he is fuller. I usually put him to bed around 8-9PM after a bath and being BF. He would sleep in his crib for 3-4 hours for the first stretch; but then wakes up every 1-2 hours after that. He usually falls back to sleep after BF for only a few minutes. So I don't think he wakes up because he is hungry (just want to be comforted by sucking on my breast). I also always check to make sure that he is dry. I think I am too quick to respond to his cry/whimper, but I think he is still too young to be spoiled. During the day when he is at home with the nanny, he only sleeps in his infant car seat after being rocked. She cannot get to sleep in his crib or basinet. I am concerned because I know he is quickly outgrowing his car seat. Should I start "Ferberizing" him? Please let me know what you did with your babies?

Thank you
Sleepless in Baltimore
Sleepless in Baltimore

caroliner
11-14-2002, 04:26 PM
I just got and started the No Cry Sleep Solution by Elizabeth Pantley. My daughter will be 5 months on Nov. 24. I also work outside the home 3 days a week. Not necessarily relevant to the sleep issue, but some of our circumstances are similar as I have to rely on my nanny for the naps, day time feed, etc. I have not read the book yet, but just cannot do the Cry it Out thing and cannot believe that can be good for a young baby. Some people swear by it, but I think you really have to be able to stick with it and not feel bad, which seems pretty impossible to me. 5 months is pretty young to sleep through the night and I think that it is an exception, rather than the rule for young babies to do so. I cannot say that the book I have helps since I just got it, but if you are looking for something that does not involve crying, maybe you should take a read. There are sample pages on Amazon if you are interested. Also, from what I have heard about Ferber, if you choose to go that route, you should wait until he is at least 6 months and also be prepared to "re-Ferberize" when it wears off, which apparently happens at such times as teething, illness, travel, etc. Another thing to consider is that at 5 months, there could be a lot of reasons for night waking, such as the beginning of teething, hunger, we just started solids too, but she does not take enough yet for it to really make a difference. I'm sorry I can't offer any real advice, but I hear it does get better. I know how hard it is having to wake up in the middle of the night often and then go to work the next day! I wish I had a couch in my office.

Steph_Phan
11-14-2002, 04:44 PM
Thank you so much for your reply to my dilemma. I will try to get that book and see. I will let you know if it will work.

Sleepless in Baltimore

egoldber
11-14-2002, 04:50 PM
I am not a Babywise fan. Mainly because he is not a doctor or a child development expert and gives advice that is directly contrary to the American Academy of Pediatric guidelines.

Here's a link to previous discussions on this: http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID30/212.html
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID30/77.html

A lot of stuff I have read indicates that how early your baby sleeps through the night depends a lot on the baby's personality and temperament. See this link for info: http://www.pediatricinstitute.com/Parent/Caring_Baby/Time_Line/time_builder/body_style.htm

Part of what this link says is that 40% of babies are "easy" babies: easily soothed, develop a regular schedule early, sleep through the night early, etc. So regardless of what kind of "method" you use with your baby, if you have an "easy" baby, then they are likely to be happy and good sleepers. If you have a high needs baby then trying to adhere to a schedule like Ezzo suggests could lead to trouble for you and your baby. Many babies do not sleep through the night for several months and that is totally normal. We followed no "method" and Sarah slept through the night by 10 weeks and developed a very regular nap/eat schedule by about 5 months.

One thing that helped us with night soothing when Sarah was older was to cultivate an attachment to a "blankie/lovie". She has been using one since about 6 months old and it has been a godsend. As long as she has her lambie, then she sleeps with no trouble. The downside is we need it even when traveling, etc.

Sorry this is so rambling and hope this helps someone,

blnony
11-15-2002, 10:20 AM
I am the one who recommended "Secrets of the Baby Whisperer." The reason I really like this is because her suggestions are very middle of the road. Not extreamist like Ferber. Also, she suggests a routine not a strict schedule, which is more natural. She also lays out different techniques for different types of baby. She recognizes that not all babies are alike.
Also, she leaves room common sense, which Moms have a lot of when it comes to their children. Also, the Ferber method isn't recommend for children under 6 months.
She also has great suggestions for changing time which has also been a struggle for us at times.
HTH-

caroliner
11-15-2002, 04:37 PM
I hope to check out those links soon. I plan to really try to continue a nap and bedtime "routine" and hope that at least gets some signals to Caroline that it is time to sleep. She really is an OK sleeper at night, not great, but falls asleep well at 7:30 almost every night and stays asleep, most nights, until she is hungry. I recently read that some babies really do need to eat in the middle of the night well after the age of 3 months. Our issues now are trying to transition to the crib and a very early wake up. I am not very consistent with the crib as first, she is only rolling back to front and gets stuck and cries, so how many times do I really want to "fix" her at night. Second, if it takes too long for her to fall back to sleep in the crib, I just bring her into bed with us where she usually falls right to sleep. I know this is not what the so called experts recommend, but I need to get up and get to work, and I really cannot be in her room all night helping her sleep when I know she will sleep easier with me. This is really just babbling, but I had to vent!!!