PDA

View Full Version : Weaning: follow-up questions

babe1201
11-13-2002, 08:56 PM
Question for Shira and others who have recently weaned: I nursed DS for the last time 2 weeks ago--had to give it up because of his biting. I have continued to pump once a day so he'd still have some of my milk while transitioning to formula. He seems to be doing fine, and I plan to stop pumping at the end of this month. What can I expect to happen to me physically? Am I likely to have leakage, engorgement, or anything like that? What have others experienced? What have you done to help yourselves through these physical changes?

Also--how have others helped their babies to transition from formula to cow's milk? Do you mix the two at first, and gradually increase the proportion of cow's milk, or do you just make the switch? Should I expect DH to have any problems with this? He did seem to have some tummy trouble when I first introduced formula.

Thanks!

KathyO
11-13-2002, 10:45 PM
Weaning, for the mom, is a total crap shoot. Apart from a brief moment of feeling sorry for myself ("Waah, she doesn't need me any more!") it was a cakewalk for me. No leakage, no engorgement, nothing. On the other end of the scale, others have suffered menopause-like symptoms, both physical and emotional, plus the stuff you mentioned.

Either way, I do recommend doing something nice for yourself at this important milestone. Take an afternoon off to remind yourself that weaning has its advantages. Catch a movie matinee. Hang out in a coffee shop, sip a latte and watch the world go by. Buy yourself a push-up bra and admire how tall and slim it makes you look (post-nursing breasts are so much more obedient about going where they're sent).

It's probably best to do the transition from formula to milk gradually - mixing in gradually increasing amounts over a few weeks. I think it helps them get used to the taste as well - formula is much sweeter than whole milk.

Good luck,

KathyO

muskiesusan
11-13-2002, 11:52 PM
I too nursed ds for the last time two weeks ago. Almost 14 mths old, he began weaning himself slowing shortly after turning one, which has saddened me, but you can't force them to nurse! I am still experiencing leakage, and today for the first time, my breasts are very hard and sore. It hurts to have anything touch them, so I am curious to see what others say. I have been told it can take 4-6 months for them to return to normal.

Susan

Shirale
11-14-2002, 12:09 AM
Hi! Well, it has also been about 2 or so weeks (maybe 3?) since I weaned DD and it has been quite a roller coaster! In terms of Amira- she doesn't seem to miss it at all, we cuddle a lot when she takes her bottles (trying to start switching to sippies now) and she has been great. I am just starting to feel more normal- I had no leaking or real engorgement, slight but not horrible, but my breasts are still pretty sore and for a good couple of days after I weaned her completely (we slowed down over a couple weeks) I felt as horrible (exhausted, moody, weepy etc) as I did when I was first pregnant or first gave birth! It was pretty strange. I definitly feel fine in that way now, that lasted a couple of days, and aside from the slight soreness (I assume b/c they are slowly stopping milk production and (hopefully!) going down in size). In some ways I miss the nursing, but mostly I am happy to not have to open and close my clothing all day, and wear normal bras (minimizers!!!!) and not have to find a bathroom to nurse in while on outings. I am happy and proud that I was able to nurse her for over 10 months esp after a rocky start, and I think she benefited from it.
Sorry this is a bit long, I think in general weaning is an emotional thing just like pregnancy and childnbirth and I found that cuddling Amira as often as she lets (she loves to run around and play!) helped me the most. HTH somewhat- please ask any other Q's- I know the girls here were all a big help to me and it always feels good to know others go through similar things...!