PDA

View Full Version : ? about c-section for breech baby

KimberleyDawn
11-14-2002, 04:09 PM
I have a friend that went for an u/s at 38.5wks and the baby was in the correct position. She was due Nov. 11th and on the 13th she found out through another u/s that the baby was breech. The dr. mentioned maneuvering the baby to the correct position and if that didn't work they would schedule a c-section next week. What exactly is involved with moving a breech baby to the correct position and what are the odds that the baby will move on it's own?
Kim

egoldber
11-14-2002, 05:03 PM
This is called an external version. They literally push and pull on the baby externally to attempt to maneuver it to the correct position. I have seen this done on medical shows on Discovery Health and it was quite something to watch the doctors tugging on the woman's belly. Some doctors/hospitals give a spinal/epidural for this and some don't.

I had a friend who they attempted this with and it failed. She said it was VERY painful and would never try it again. It ended up that her baby had the cord wrapped very tightly several times around the neck, so they needed to do a csection anyway.

I think that this late in a pregnancy it is considered unlikely for the baby to move on it's own. But it was also unlikely for the baby to move from a head down to a breech position at 38.5 weeks, so go figure. External versions are not always successful and babies can also move back to the breech position after being turned.

Here's a link to some general info: http://www.parentsplace.com/expert/midwife/qas/0,10338,239034_100666,00.html

HTH,

KimberleyDawn
11-14-2002, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the info and I have forwarded it on to her. I think she may request the c-section without attempting to change the baby's position.
Kim

EDD Feb. 16, 2003!

KathyO
11-14-2002, 05:33 PM
Tell her that she may get a surprise yet... I personally know two babies who flipped 180 degrees in the last 24 hours before delivery! (One from head-up to head-down, the other vice versa!)

Cheers,

KathyO

Rachels
11-14-2002, 07:25 PM
There's also a chiropractic technique that is over 90% successful in turning breech babies-- and NOT painful. I would absolutely try that before consenting to a Cesarean. Also, I think people have varying experiences of external version. I know some people find it really uncomfortable, and others don't mind it much. The degree of relaxation of the mother does seem to make a difference.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

KimberleyDawn
11-15-2002, 09:57 AM
UPDATE!!!!
The baby turned on his own yesterday evening and she said it was very PAINFUL!!! Anyway, she went into labor during the night and gave birth to a 7lb. healthy boy at 8:30am. :):):)
Kim

Rachels
11-15-2002, 10:25 AM
YAY!!!!!!!! Congrats to your friend!

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02