PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant...& he is active at 11PM...does that mean

mama2be
11-14-2002, 05:50 PM
Mommies...

Does my little Tristan being so active at 11:00PM in my tummy mean that he is going to keep me up at night???

Some folks suggested I just might feel him more since that is the time I am lying down, but I am pretty convinced he is more active at that time..

Wondered if there is a connection from your experience...

Thanks in advance!!!

brubeck
11-14-2002, 06:19 PM
I'm on my second pregnancy right now (34 weeks along).

My first child was active whenever I would take a breather (ie: sit comfortably or lie down/lounge for any decent period of time). This included late at night (10 or 11 pm is late for a pregnant woman!) and in the middle of the night. My second baby seems to be following this pattern too.

I found that the 4am type middle of the night kicking was much more indicative of when baby would be up after the birth. The kicking and movement that come as soon as you rest are typical. Does this happen to you WHENEVER you lie/sit down during the day, or ONLY at 11pm? Since babies tend to be more active when you are not moving around, periods of quiet and activity during the middle of the night (when you are resting for hours on end) are probably more telling.

However, if your baby IS only active at 11 pm that's actually a good thing. You can feed him, then go to bed by about midnight and hopefully get a decent night's sleep afterwards. Much better than feeding the baby at 10 pm, being in bed by 11 and then woken up at 3 or 4 am for a feeding. :-)

Rachels
11-14-2002, 07:26 PM
My baby was active then, too, and now it's the only time I can actually count on her being asleep. The motion of your body during the day lulls your baby to sleep, and they tend to wake up and get kicking when you quiet down.

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

JMarie
11-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Aidan is also active as soon as I lay down at night and also whenever I get up in the middle of the night for a bathroom visit. I've talked with my sister and she said Abby (my 16 month-old niece) was the same way, and it was not at all indicative of how Abby was once she was 'on the outside.' It does seem it's the motion during the day that lulls him to sleep - I notice on the days when I'm moving about that I don't feel him until night time. He's quieter on the days when I just veg out (which doesn't happen much anymore - hello nesting!). I think I'm just going to enjoy this period of movement while I can - I know it will end when he starts getting too big for his current home. Good luck.

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

mamahill
11-14-2002, 08:59 PM
Ainsleigh knocked all over the place any time I wanted to have peace and quiet. It got particularly bad the last month of my pregnancy (little sleep lends to a miserable way to start of labor, btw), but once she was out, she slept all the time. I had to wake her to feed her the first couple weeks. But then she discovered being awake, and from then on, she woke up on her own. You baby is on his own schedule right now (as he will be for a while, sigh). He's waiting for his mummy to teach him the difference between night and day (something my 7-month-old seems to be disregarding at the moment, sigh again).

Good luck!

Shirale
11-14-2002, 09:25 PM
I read (somewhere!) that the reason that most babies are awake and kicking at night (or whenever you relax) is that then the blood flow increases to the placenta and there is some sort of hormone too, I think, and that is when they wake up! Also, when you are awake and moving around it tends to lull them to sleep. Interestingly enough my DD was never awake at night, and I remember many sleepless nights when I woke DH in a panic that something was wrong and he would make me drink OJ and she would wake up...anyhow- lucky us she followed the same pattern from the time of her birth as well and always slept better at night. Well- I guess some babies have to be different!

mama2be
11-14-2002, 10:13 PM
Thanks so much ladies...I do go to sleep late about 11 ususally (but nap a few days a week during the day). Actually if he is awake at that time and then goes to sleep that might be best. I have noticed when I finally sit down he does kick...but does seem to be most active right when I tuck myself into sleep.

I can't wait to meet him...it really is hitting me big time this past week...I looked at little socks last week and started to cry they were so cute...:):):)

Thank you all for taking time out to respond!!!

KathyO
11-14-2002, 11:11 PM
... and when he's gotten too big for the teensy socks, you'll look at them and cry all over again! I can get pretty blubbery when forced to say goodbye to cute-but-now-outgrown outfits!

Cheers,

KathyO

JMarie
11-14-2002, 11:26 PM
At our baby shower this past Saturday, we walked into my in-law's house and the first thing I saw was the GORGEOUS toy box my FIL had just built - it looks exactly like the PBK Catalina one, only bigger. Suddenly I had visions of our son crawling inside and playing with his toys in there and just lost it. DH was just as blown away, except he didn't cry. Thank goodness we were early so it wasn't the highlight of the party! As my good friend keeps telling me, pregnant women will cry at stop lights. I'm beginning to see that...

JMarie
EDD 2/23/03
Aidan Christopher

mamahill
11-15-2002, 05:44 PM
I thought I cried a lot when I was pregnant -- my gosh, the reservoir was just building up. I can easily cry a couple times a day now - at ANYTHING. Just this morning we were playing on the bed and she'll reach out with her hand, pat my cheek and squeal with joy and it just makes me crumple. And other times she'll be playing by herself, trying to figure out how to do something, and it's like you can SEE their mind working. And then some times they'll fall asleep in your arms and lie there so peaceful, and the love that you feel toward this little person is so overwhelming, you feel like maybe you've just unlocked the secret to happiness in life. And here, Ainsleigh is only 7 months old and I feel like she's growing up too fast. Ah well, I suppose that only means I have years of tears of happy, sadness, laughter, frustration, and pride ahead of me...