PDA

View Full Version : When will my hair stop falling out?!

Rachels
11-15-2002, 11:13 AM
I haven't gone bald yet but assume it's only a matter of time...Does this post-pregnancy shedding ever end?

-Rachel
Mommy to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nohomama
11-15-2002, 01:47 PM
I didn't start having this problem until Lola was 3 or 4 monthes old and I think it stopped when she was 7 or 8 monthes old. From what I understand, the duration can vary greatly from woman to woman. All I remember about my postpartum shedding was being irked (where the !#* was the full head of lusterous hair while I was pregnant?) and being really disgusted by the hair beast I had to pull out of the drain everytime I showered.

caroliner
11-15-2002, 04:43 PM
Mine started falling out aroune 10 weeks, maybe even sooner, post partum and now, 20 weeks PP, it is still falling out, but much much less. I used to have handfuls of hair (gross) everywhere, now it is really just a handful here or there and continues to taper off. I too have read that this varies greatly from person to person. Hang in there, it does stop falling out.

muskiesusan
11-15-2002, 05:11 PM
I think it must vary greatly from person to person. DS is now 13.5 mths and I still have clumps coming out. I actually had to buy a new vac cause mine wasn't picking up all the hair! In addition to losing tons of hair, now I have new growth coming in, which looks awful! DS weaned a few weeks ago, so hopefully better hair days are ahead!

Susan

mamahill
11-15-2002, 05:32 PM
Yes! While I continue to lose some hair, it is more like my normal day-to-day shedding, not the sasquatch-like amounts of a couple months ago. I have noticed a huge difference now that I'm making a conscious effort to take my multi-vitamin and eat fruits, veggies and healthy stuff. I'm actually making time for ME to eat (novel idea, I know). The only bad thing is that now my hair is starting to grow in and if you look closely, around my hair line particularly, you can see the little hairs standing straight up. It's like I'm 5 and tried to cut bangs off or something - lol. So I have to make sure I do a light spritz of hair spray and pat down the little hairs, otherwise I also have an alfalfa thing going on at the back. The other thing that really helped was I cut my hair. It was past my bra strap and with it being long and so thin, I was a total "before" picture. So I cut it to my shoulders and it has the body it once had. I *almost* feel like I could do a shampoo commercial!

I frantically posted a similar question a couple months ago and had a lot of comforting replies. I think it was Annette who suggested if you're really concerned, to have your thyroid checked. I'll post the link to that thread, in case you're interested...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dcforum/DCForumID30/128.html

Don't worry - it DOES get better. HTH...