PDA

View Full Version : Another breakthrough and need a product to go with it!

Rachels
11-18-2002, 10:43 AM
Well, things just keep looking up around here. Abigail is still waking up a million times a night, but most of you know our hot new news that she will now let me put her DOWN for naps and bedtime. Well, last night she surprised me again. I nursed or rocked her to sleep four different times, and each time I laid her down, her eyes flew open and she woke right up. The fourth time, I was so frustrated that I didn't pick her back up, just patted her and stroked her hair and helped her hold onto her blanket and pacifier. She rolled around and swatted at things for 15 minutes or so, then just went to sleep. Eureka! This morning she did the same thing at nap time. I tried leaving, but that didn't go so well. I'm thinking that she might do well if she had something to look at that moves. I've thought of the monitor that projects stuff on the ceiling, but does it work in the daytime? Also, what about the FP Aquarium? Does it have to have the music on? She loves music, but I think she would then wake up if it stopped. I've also thought of one of those lamps where the images project around the screen. Any other ideas? If not for the fact that I still have bronchitis, I would be dancing around the front yard right now...

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

newbelly2002
11-18-2002, 01:54 PM
Congratulations!!

Dante--after sleeping through the night since about 7 weeks--has started waking up at 4:00 AM. Ugh. Hopefully, this too will pass. If only he took naps. . . Four times though? You're a strong woman.

We have the lamp with the projected imaages and Dante loves it. We bought the aquarium and he'll watch it for at least 15 minutes in complete silence. I feel a little guilty sometimes, but I guess it's better than TV (which is not an option here since it's all in German!).

HOpe you feel better soon!
Paula

mama2be
11-18-2002, 02:03 PM
Oh Rachel I wish I knew what to say...no baby yet...I did buy the symphony in motion mobile last week-end and am hoping that will entertain my little one when he arrives...

I hope to buy the Amby hammock- reviews show that it puts babies to sleep...but don't know how accurate they are...

akc
11-18-2002, 07:47 PM
Hi -

I hadn't been in the lounge before, but read your post so I thought I'd pop in! You should definitely keep up the reassurance patting b/c apparently they just get used to your holding them back to sleep when they don't really need it. This is a whole other story, but we are Happiest Baby on the Block fans which kept our daughter all snuggled up and swaddled to sleep. She went down really easily since 3 months b/c it was her sleeptime routine and she also couldn't pull her pacifier out. Anyway, it has worked so well for us - Maeve, my daughter, is 4 months and one week and sleeps 12 hours at night - 7 p.m. to 7 a.m. - and then takes three naps for a total of about 4-5 hours a day. The child loves to sleep and is extremely happy as a result. Wakes up and talk and coos to herself.

But, I digress - on the "mesmorizing" front, we have the Peaceful Planet aquarium on recommendation from our friends that had two boys before us, and it is wonderful. It has 5 sounds it can make - bubbles, water rushing, waves, rock-a-bye music, and one other song I can't remember. We leave ours on waves all the time, especially because we have a white noise machine in her crib that plays a steady soft sound (another tip for HBoBlock that has been a godsend for her sleeping well). It is attached just to the right of her sleeping spot (but she can't roll b/c of the swaddle, so you'd probably have to put it on an end if your daughter can). It plays for 5 minutes, so I just hit it as I leave the room and she's usually asleep or knows it is time to sleep after it cuts off. There are the two fish that circle around and it projects little water lights on the wall and ceiling. So, you can choose the sound, and it is close enough to the crib that it does the job. The pain of it is that it has no remote, so if it ends and you want to run it again, you've got to sneak in and hit the button again (could be subtle depending on where it is). The other thing is that it sucks batteries, although it is much less if you don't play the music.

We also have the symphony in motion mobile (the new one with the remote), but that is only for playtime in our house (or when I want to shower - 15 minutes is a lifetime!). Way too jazzy and exciting for sleeping. In fact, ours is on the end of her crib and we swing it around and out of the crib when she's going to bed b/c otherwise it's too exciting.

You might also give the white noise thing a try if you're not already using it. It just creates a warm, steady sound that is really soothing to any age baby. We have one from BabiesRus that is called "Nature Sounds" and has 6 different sounds from a heartbeat to crickets to rain falling to waves to plain old whitenoise (which is what we use), but you could just as easily put a radio nearby and just set it to static.

Haven't tried one of the projector lamps but have several friends who have and have loved them. I don't think there is anything to feel bad about - you're not literally hypnotizing them. Just giving her a routine where she feels safe and happy to go to sleep. The nice thing about something like Peaceful Planet or a white noise machine is that you can also take it with you - if you're going somewhere and she needs to nap or away for vacation. Makes them feel right at home no matter where they are.

Good luck! :)

Alexa
Mother of Maeve Mullady
Born 7/6/02

Rachels
11-19-2002, 08:07 PM
Does this have a remote and can you play it without music?

http://www.fisher-price.com/us/babyu/product.asp?s=buss&id=9947

Also, does the FP Aquarium have a remote or a non-music feature? Thanks!

Also, we just got the HoMedics white noise machine that some of you recommended. DH is bringing it home tonight, so we will see how it goes. Thanks for all your help and suggestions as we continue our sleep quest!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

akc
11-19-2002, 08:52 PM
Hi Rachel -

I don't have that product but looked at it. It says it has nature sounds, so I would think you could just play waves or some sort of white sound noise, but I'm not sure. If is has a choice for no volume, I'd use that and then the white noise machine. It also has a remote. My only concern would be the animals that are on the mobile that go with the projector. That would be too close and visually stimulating for my daughter. If you could take them off, it would be great though. All in all, looks like a good solution - but, I would buy it as BabiesRus where you can unpackage it, set it up, and if it doesn't have what you want (like turning off the music), you can always return it!

On the FP Peaceful Planet, I noted on the FP site that they only have the Aquarium listed (under Ocean Wonders). That's not the one I'm raving about. They both have the fish moving around and are stare inducing, but the Peaceful Planet projects lights up on the wall that make a water rippling affect. The FP aquarium has a non-music feature (actually 4 acquatic sounds - splashing fish, falling raindrops, splashing fish, or ocean waves (what we use)). The two music choices are lullabies. You can set it to any of the non-music ones you want. The thing is...now that I'm looking for it, I can't find it anywhere. It's out of stock on ToysRus (for some reason it's not under BabiesRus) and K&B toys. I wonder if they are phasing it out for this new aquarium in which case I am happy that I have the original! Here's the link to it on BRU - http://www.amazon.com/o/dt/assoc/handle-buy-box=B00000IZL1 - I'll be you could find it still on the shelves (or maybe on EBay) The biggest bummer is that there is no remote, but where we have it, I can reach my arm over the headboard of the crib and she can't see me. But, our crib has a solid headboard so she can't see me. It goes for 5 minutes and shuts off - that's long enough for Maeve b/c when it goes off she is either already asleep or knows that this means it's time to go to sleep.

Anyway, given that (and I am still shocked!), I would go with the mobile, but see if you can minimize all of the visual stimulation except the lights projecting on the wall and ceiling. Too much will make your daughter cry when it ends because it's so fun to look at.

I'm glad you got the white noise machine. We like waves and the regular white noise (the one that's on all the time), but all of them are hypnotizing! We love it!

Alexa

akc
11-19-2002, 08:59 PM
Update -

I just checked eBay and there are a ton for sale. Just go to the main page and search for Peaceful Planet. Here's one that has it New in the Box which is factory sealed:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2072188173

It says that it has been discontinued. That is unbelievable given it just won American Baby's best toys 2002. Anyway, there are a lot there that are cheaper and used (which probably would be fine b/c they don't put it near their mouth or even touch it). But, this one is new.

The thing I like about PP vs. the mobile is that you can take it with you when you go places and you still want your daughter to sleep! Man, if I was desperate to get her to sleep, I'd get both. We were lucky but were fully prepared to pull out all the stops if Maeve was not a sleeper. She slept during the night in utero and kept it up - must take after me...love naps, love sleeping!

AKC

Annette_C
11-20-2002, 10:29 PM
Alexa,
I'm so jealous! Sabrina is about 2 weeks older than Maeve and she's still waking up 2 to 4 times at night!
What I can't understand is that she slept through the night since she was born but we had to wake her at night to feed her (our ped was very strict about that!).
At about 3.5 months, she began fussing during the night. Growth spurt, teething, time to add solids, all these thoughts went through our minds. We started her on cereal and at 4 mo. vegetables and fruits. She still would fuss! Then she got her first cold and couldn't breathe very well. Now, at almost 5 months, she's still not sleeping straight through the night!
What is your DD's feeding schedule? And, is she on solids yet? I found that Sabrina is drinking less formula when she has her solid food (which is at midday and evening). She eats 5 times a day: early morning, midday w/fruit or veg, afternoon, evening, and 11pm or 12 midnight.
We haven't eliminated the late night feeding yet because our ped said the baby needs over 30oz of formula a day. We still have to wake her up to feed her so late but she goes right back to sleep at that time.
The problems start at around 3 am, then 4, then 5, and so on! She goes back to sleep every time but we don't!
I have to add that she goes to sleep at around 9 pm at night and naps 3 to 4 times a day for about 30 min. to an hour each time.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

Edited to say: Alexa, I just saw your topic about the Happiest baby on the block and I should have posted this question to you there. Sorry, I hadn't noticed it before.

Rachel,
I have the Soothing Dreams monitor w/remote that has music and ceiling show but, so far, Sabrina gets more excited than sleepy when she sees it.
Annette :)

akc
11-21-2002, 01:08 AM
Hi Annette -

I posted your post on my HBOTB posting and then answered it. That way we can go down the thread there in case someone else has the same issues. ALL of it is just my opinion, but maybe it will give you ideas!

Alexa

Rachels
12-02-2002, 03:20 PM
AAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGH! Does anyone know where I can actually BUY this mobile? I can't find it anywhere except dmart and Walmart, and neither has it in stock. Any ideas?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
12-02-2002, 10:15 PM
Rachel,

I share in your frustration! I have been searching for this mobile for a while now. I finally called FP a couple of weeks ago and asked why I couldn't find it and they said it was such a new product that the stores may not have had time to stock it just yet. I did notice it was finally listed on Walmart.com a couple of weeks ago although it was "out of stock." I looked at Walmart.com again just now and they no longer have it listed on their web site.

If anybody finds it, please let us know!

jojo2324
12-02-2002, 11:28 PM
Girls, think I found something! They say it's in stock:

http://www.dmart2000.com/sootsurstarn.html

After searching pretty extensively I seemed to turn up a lot in the UK. And India for $57. Also, there were a few on Ebay.

Rachels
12-03-2002, 09:39 AM
Dmart is a big liar. I ordered it from them a week ago, then just yesterday got an email saying it's backordered. They think they will have some more in within 7 days-- I'm skeptical, but low on options. I think I might check into ebay, though. Thanks for looking!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

nigele
12-03-2002, 10:55 AM
I called FP today and here is what I was told: the Starry Night Mobile came out in February/March. They did not expect it to be in such hot demand so they did not produce a large quantity and now the demand is larger than the supply. (So why aren't they producing more since they now realize it is in demand?!) Anyway, she told me to check the following stores/web sites:

Walmart
Babysupermall.com
Bayage.com
Babyuniverse.com
Babysupercenter.com
Faoschwarz.com
Smarterkids.com

I have not have time to look but will try later. I also have more new products to tell you about - will write more later.

Rachels
12-05-2002, 09:25 AM
Lisa, dmart swears the mobile will be in stock tomorrow or Monday. I'll let you know if I get it!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

loewymartin
12-05-2002, 03:11 PM
Which one are you looking for? I have off tomorrow and I'm going Christmas shopping, so I can look here (if I actually find one I can ship it out to you).

Michelle - Mom to Alia Jailin born 5/16/02

jojo2324
12-05-2002, 03:49 PM
I know! Me too! I am on such a crusade for this mobile. I looked in every baby store I've been to the past week, but to no avail. Hopefully Dmart gets it in!

Rachels
12-05-2002, 07:53 PM
What an incredibly sweet offer!!! I actually ordered it from dmart and am not sure if I can cancel the order. It's the FP Soothing Dreams Starry Night mobile, though. Let me know if you find it and where, and then I can try cancelling my order and calling the store directly. Thanks so much.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

loewymartin
12-09-2002, 11:10 AM
This one is tough to find! I looked at each store I went to, but didn't see it anywhere. Sorry-

Michelle - Mom to Alia Jailin born 5/16/02

Rachels
12-10-2002, 08:48 AM
Thanks for looking!!! I just got a notice last night that dmart has shipped my order, so apparently they're in stock again! I'll let you all know what we think of it when it arrives.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Rachels
12-11-2002, 06:56 PM
We got the mobile! CUTE. Noisy, but cute. The music is kind of that plunky, tinny Fisher-Price music that will be very familiar if you had the dashboard toy for the car or the Kick 'n Play bouncer. Not my favorite, but Abigail doesn't seem to mind. The motor is kind of loud and whirry, but actually, that's okay with me. It sounds like white noise. I think I will turn the music off at bedtime. There's also what is supposed to be a cricket sound, I think, but...not so much.

The lights, though, are terrific. You can turn on a light for just the dome piece, or for the projection, or both. The projection is stuff like stars and moons, and it goes on the wall as well as the ceiling. We tried it out just briefly, and Abby was captivated. It moves very slowly, so it's more mesmerizing than stimulating. The animals dangling from the mobile move very slowly, too, and they've got sleepy faces. Nothing too bright or overwhelming.

We have yet to experiment with bedtime, but I think this is probably a good purchase.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Annette_C
12-11-2002, 10:50 PM
Rachel,
It sounds a lot like my FP Soothing Dreams Monitor! The music, the cricket sound and the stars & moon ceiling show that you describe are exactly the features of my monitor.
Like Abigail, Sabrina finds it amuzing and captivating but she hasn't yet fallen asleep while watching the ceiling show! Sorry about my negative experience....I hope it works better for Abigail than it does for Sabrina.
Good luck!
Annette
SAHM to Sabrina 6/24/02

Rachels
12-12-2002, 09:37 AM
She did fall asleep watching it last night. She then woke up approximately seven thousand times, but that's nothing new. At least I got a little extra time to myself!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02