PDA

View Full Version : Need help with baby shower gift

Andrea S
11-19-2002, 09:22 AM
What did you get that you loved or wished someone would have gotten you? They have almost everything on their registry.

Andrea

Rachels
11-19-2002, 09:29 AM
Someone gave me a Buggy Bagg from www.buggybagg.com and it is one of my very favorite items. It has made grocery shopping possible. It's not cheap, but it's terrific. I keep it in the trunk and use it is grocery stores or with restaurant high chairs. My baby LOVES it. It has turned out to be one of my favorite gifts.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

mama2be
11-19-2002, 10:10 AM
OHHHH I like that!!!!

I almost always buy folks the Armour Court (I think that is the name) bowl and spoon of pewter for the baby. I know the Fields say not to buy these kind of items...but my gift is alwys on display in nurseries and folks just really oh and ah over it. The one I love is a bunny whose ears are the handle.

The best prices on them are a store in Virginia (Annandale) called Annsandra. And they wrap the prettiest packages with a huge HUGE!!!!! bow. Also the best place to buy wedding gifts...it's the bow and the prices!!!!

I'll try to find a link to show you what this looks like...:)

etwahl
11-19-2002, 11:58 AM
I saw someone in the grocery store with this just the other day. It was the first time I'd ever seen one (or maybe because I'm pregnant, it's the first time I ever noticed one!) It's a brilliant idea.

What is the appropriate beginning and ending age for using these?

Tammy,
Mom-to-be Mar 8, 2003!

KathyO
11-19-2002, 10:42 PM
Books! Particularly those sturdy board books - DD never really cottoned to tub books or cloth books. You can never have too many. I'd go stark raving nuts if I had to read her the same two or three over and over. (I swear I'm gonna BURN "Jeremy Giraffe to the Rescue" the MINUTE she's too old for it!!!) If you want the grown-ups to go all gooshy, get a few of the classics they would have grown up with... Goodnight Moon, Green Eggs and Ham, The Velveteen Rabbit, the Runaway Bunny, etc.

HTH!

Cheers,

KathyO

Momof3Labs
11-19-2002, 10:56 PM
We love books - Sandra Boynton books are really cute, and they come in the board style. And there's always Dr. Seuss!

A crib mirror is a fun toy for a very young baby. Another idea - someone gave me these wonderful photo albums from Target - they were $9.99 (I've bought more since then) and have spaces to slide in 4x6 photos AND write a little caption. Very nice!! They even have cute little baby feet on the cover. And Baby Einstein videos are popular now - see the thread elsewhere on this board - some Sam's Club stores have a great deal on them right now.

Hmm... lullaby CDs - I love the Kenny Loggins CD, Return to Pooh Corner. Oh, and a white noise machine! Target has one by Homedics for $12.99.

That's what comes to mind for now... I'll post again if I think of anything!

Lori
mommy to Colin Daniel 9/28/02

Rachels
11-20-2002, 08:25 AM
I started using this at 5 months, when Abby could sort of sit up. She leaned to the side a little, but the pillow propped her up. Before that I just used her infant seat.

Oh, and I second the recommendation below for the white noise machine. We just got the HoMedics one. I am going to try it today.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

Rachels
11-20-2002, 11:05 AM
I also just found a similar thing to the buggy bagg at www.babyalacart.com. It's less expensive but still looks pretty nice.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

cara1
11-20-2002, 03:27 PM
I have babyalacart. (In fact, I'm the CH in the customer comments!) I love this thing. I get so many comments when I use it in the supermarket. It's comfy-cozy, and I can strap DS in in a seatbelt that some other kid hasn't chomped on. Plus, he can't chomp on the handle either, because it's covered. I can also attach toys to special loops on the fabric. Supposedly it can also be used in a restaurant high chair, but we haven't tried that yet.

I also just ordered a wooden flip step stool that can be used as a seat or a step stool. There are a number of sites that sell these with free personalization and choice of painted on design. I ordered it from http://www.thatgiftplaceinc.com/docs/flipstoolnatural.html because they offer free-shipping.

mommychic
11-20-2002, 07:45 PM
I just found another one....www.cleanshopper.com It might be the least expensive at $29.99. But your's is the nicest since it has lots of extra features :)

Lisa

ctsiouts
11-20-2002, 08:27 PM
I received a new native carrier from babystyle.com from my mother and I absolutely love it. Every time I wear it out at least 3 people ask me where I got it from, and it is my daughters favorite place. It is so much more comfy and convenient than a car seat or stroller, and it helps me get housework done.
I also got a NoJo sling and it is extremely comfortable, and available at babies r us.
I highly recommend these sling type carriers to anyone who is expecting because it is surprising how few people know about them. I think as long as you put baby in them early on, in the first week after birth, they enjoy them.

mamahill
11-21-2002, 02:40 PM
Books are always great and somebody gave us a couple "Bath Books." They're like board books, bu plastic. I think they're intended to be used in the bath, but we never have. Although board books are sturdy, they can still swell and warp when the little one chews on them! Bath books can be chewed on and grabbed, and they don't rip! There are bright colors and fun pictures and they wipe right off in the event of excessive drooling or spitup.

The other thing I love is my Baby Bjorn bib. Only about $6 and it's by far the sturdiest bib I've seen.

Oh, and there was a thread a while ago about "Baby's First Steps in French (or Spanish or Italian)." We have the French one and I just bought the Spanish one for a friend. They are great and now when I sing some of the songs or recite some of the poems (still memorizing most of them!), Ainsleigh's face lights up and she begins giggling. She loves it!

Those are the more unique things (other than the tried and true clothes, blankets, diapers, and regular registry items) that I could come up with. HTH!

emilys
12-02-2002, 11:38 PM
I usually give something or several really practical and un-cute things from the registry, like a diaper genie and some refills, or changing table pad and covers, or bottle dryer, pacifiers, or a bunch of things like that, and then maybe I'll throw in a cute outfit just so it's not so seemingly dull, but the practical stuff is ALWAYS appreciated and will get used.

I just had MY shower and one friend with two small daughters gave me a buffet of stuff that included breast shields, Lansinoh ointment, Desitin, a package of diapers, a box of wipes, a package of Tucks medicated pads, and other stuff like that which I wouldn't think to register for or buy as gifts, but I know she gifts from experience. I'll probably really appreciate ALL of it. Though I hope to not need the Tucks - I know, wishful thinking...

these ideas are certainly no better than the others like books, music, keepsakes, and the like, just another idea. it's ALL good stuff! and clothes, especially clothes for a slightly older baby - like 6mos or 12mos I'm told are really good cause they outgrow the newborn stuff so fast.